Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a few earthquakes....thought the house was going to crumble. Lots of vibrations. Was sitting at the computer downstairs (shocker!) and it sounded like someone had dropped a bomb upstairs!

Did anyone else feel it?

Dolly

·
Registered
46 Posts
Date Time (UTC)
hh:mm:ss Latitude Longitude Depth (km) Magnitude Location
22/09/2009 08:20:41 -38.2 145.3 0 3.0 Near Melbourne
22/09/2009 08:20:28 -38.21 145.3 0 2.6 Near Melbourne

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Just had a few earthquakes....thought the house was going to crumble. Lots of vibrations. Was sitting at the computer downstairs (shocker!) and it sounded like someone had dropped a bomb upstairs!

Did anyone else feel it?

Dolly
oooooo Dolly! thats sounds a bit scarey! is it usual to have small earthquakes in your neck of the woods ? You have to forgive my lack of knowledge on your part of the World!

I know we had a small tornado last year on the Southern Coast of Spain where I live ... and it was BIG news! thankfully it was a pretty small tornado by tornado standards!

Sue x :)

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was only minor tremors (but it always feels worse when it's actually happening) so nothing to worry about.

And what's up with the weather? Sydney looks like Mars at the moment with the red/orangey dust storm. Was watching Sunrise this morning and it looks very creepy indeed.

Sydney Blanketed By Red Dust

Dolly

·
Registered
619 Posts
It was only minor tremors (but it always feels worse when it's actually happening) so nothing to worry about.

And what's up with the weather? Sydney looks like Mars at the moment with the red/orangey dust storm. Was watching Sunrise this morning and it looks very creepy indeed.

Dolly
Wow the red sky is real freaky. The earthquakes I can handle, I've slept through more than I can remember here in SF. Although I was hoping to escape the earthquakes when I move.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry to disappoint :lol:

We do get tremors here, but they're not normally that strong to raze a house- so we're pretty safe!

Dolly

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
The weather here in Brissie today is quite scary. Strong winds and a weird foggy atmosphere. Think it's gonna be stormy later on. :confused2:

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
First time I've seen the red dust. It was literally "Orange" when you looked outside (like wearing Orange sunglasses). It is a very good time to be a car wash in Sydney this week. The Red/Orange is gone and now just looks like a cloudy day, but still dusty. It's all blown in from the West apparently and has everybody scratching their heads and going "What the?"

Wife just got car washed yesterday :mad:

Dolly

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
First time I've seen the red dust. It was literally "Orange" when you looked outside (like wearing Orange sunglasses). It is a very good time to be a car wash in Sydney this week. The Red/Orange is gone and now just looks like a cloudy day, but still dusty. It's all blown in from the West apparently and has everybody scratching their heads and going "What the?"

Wife just got car washed yesterday :mad:
Yip same here, now just heavily foggy looking. There is dust landing everywhere now. :mad:

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
TBH I looked out the Window this morning and that scene from Indiana Jones flashed through my mind. The one where Indy and his lady are tied to the posts and Nazis are about to open the Ark.

And what passes through my mind this morning: "Alright, who's the wiseguy who opened an Ark of the Covenant this morning". ;)

Yip same here, now just heavily foggy looking. There is dust landing everywhere now. :mad:

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
TBH I looked out the Window this morning and that scene from Indiana Jones flashed through my mind. The one where Indy and his lady are tied to the posts and Nazis are about to open the Ark.

And what passes through my mind this morning: "Alright, who's the wiseguy who opened an Ark of the Covenant this morning". ;)
:eyebrows:

I thought aliens had invaded and began terraformation :eek::rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can't believe it's wafted in all the way from SA and NT!!!

Dolly

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Apparently from South West QLD according to the latest news.

Clear night now however, stars are out so everybody just needs to get those dusters out and a trip to the car wash in the next 2 weeks.

I can't believe it's wafted in all the way from SA and NT!!!

Dolly

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Being in the SE South Australia it missed us completely - no earthquakes, no terraforming it's lovely and boring down here :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts