Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to start camping out in the wilds now the temperature has gone down.

I have lots of experience camping in other parts of the world but have never camped here.

Have a decent enough tent from UK days, sleeping bags, cool box/esky, chairs, portable bbq.

Anything else I need to think of and any good camping spots please.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Get one of those battery packs so you can recharge your phone while out there, or make sure to have a car adapter for the charger. Depending on how deep you go into the desert, you should have reception on your cell phone.

It's key to have that with you, a charged phone with a data plan, will help you find your way back in case required, and of course to get in touch with anyone in case needed...

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
will be in convoy

bread board? really?

tbh I'm pretty well kitted up with sand ladders etc already so may leave the BB at home :)

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get one of those battery packs so you can recharge your phone while out there, or make sure to have a car adapter for the charger. Depending on how deep you go into the desert, you should have reception on your cell phone.

It's key to have that with you, a charged phone with a data plan, will help you find your way back in case required, and of course to get in touch with anyone in case needed...
yeah I want a to totally separate battery pack. Had one in the UK after I flattened a car battery with a fridge whilst camping. More necessary here for sure but no sign of them on sale at Ace yesterday :( Any ideas or do I need to get one shipped?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Checked out a pretty awesome spot that wasn't too technical of a drive in the mountains between Dubai and Oman. Those off road books at Adventure HQ are a real gem to get lost without actually getting lost.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Depends how far you want to go to camp, and what kind of real terrain you're looking for.

Fossil Rock and the like isn't too far, and is easy enough to get in and out of - but the area is usually chock full of people.

If you're with another vehicle the sand ladders aren't really necessary, I'd only have them if you were going out alone. Never needed them even when I have done it alone.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not been to fossil rock so that will be on the list

Ideally more remote places though

Now AD based so ultimately for weekend convenience Liwa/Empty Quarter trips will be the aim by end of winter

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Not been to fossil rock so that will be on the list

Ideally more remote places though

Now AD based so ultimately for weekend convenience Liwa/Empty Quarter trips will be the aim by end of winter
The driving and camping is much, much better in Abu Dhabi. Fossil Rock is alright to look at, but the area around it is pretty rubbish.

If you want something close to 'home', I'd suggest places like Sweihan, Al Khatim, Al Khazna, Remah. Pretty much heading east towards Al Ain. It's close enough to civilisation (like an ADNOC Oasis store), whilst still being near the dunes - with lots of room to find yourself a quiet spot.

If you do fancy heading west, there's always Hameem - that's basically east of the Liwa Oasis road. Easier driving and also quieter than Liwa itself.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the suggestions - will definitely check out those places.

.....and heh at the first post ever here (other than mine) saying something in AD is better than Dubai!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
.....and heh at the first post ever here (other than mine) saying something in AD is better than Dubai!
I am sure he meant the Emirate, not the City... :nono: and just because it is nicer to go camping where less civilized... ;)

Just drove back from AD this afternoon, can't wait to get out... :cool:

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I am sure he meant the Emirate, not the City... :nono: and just because it is nicer to go camping where less civilized... ;)

Just drove back from AD this afternoon, can't wait to get out... :cool:
I lived 15 years in Abu Dhabi compared to about 2 in Dubai.

I might prefer Dubai these days, but my heart will always be in Abu Dabs :spy:

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
thanks for the suggestions - will definitely check out those places.

Six of one and half a dozen of the other these days, good and bad things about both.

I wouldn't fancy registering a 4x4 in Abu Dhabi right now, people are getting punk'd for the most minor thing.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
exactly about 6 of one etc. it's pretty impossible to comment without living in them both for a while

I'm the opposite of you though only 5 years in Dubai and now 2 years in AD

what do you mean by the 2nd sentence? I registered one yesterday in AD. You have me worried...

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
exactly about 6 of one etc. it's pretty impossible to comment without living in them both for a while

I'm the opposite of you though only 5 years in Dubai and now 2 years in AD

what do you mean by the 2nd sentence? I registered one yesterday in AD. You have me worried...
ADP licensing is a lot stricter than the RTA in Dubs. Even the slightest mods are being failed during annual checks, even some fitted and sold through the dealers! It started a year or so back when ADP decided to copy Sharjah police's rules practices.

All of your custom bumpers, bullbars, lights and lightbars pretty much have to go before you register it. Not necessarily the case in Dubai.

Admittedly I'm driving a stock vehicle right now, but just a matter of time before I start lifting and customising.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts