Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The article by Vesela Todorova in The National Click Here has been really bothering me. Being involved in the desalination field I did some water analysis myself from samples taken in Fujairah, The Palms and in areas around Jumeirah. However my results on salinty were in the range of 42,000 PPM.

It is a fact that the water body from which we obtain our desalted water is a small bay, the mouth of which is highly constricted by the presence of the UAE land mass.

Given that the figures in The National are indeed correct, in about 7-10 years this GCC region will have a serious water problem rendering the region unsustainable for human life.

We do not have a serious waste water treatment system in place. One that will recover and treat water to make it portable for human consumption. The recovered water the waste water treatment plants in the region recover is on a microfiltration level (5/10/15 micron) which can only be used for agricultural purposes.

It is much easier and cheaper to recover and treat water from sewage than to desalt it from the sea via reverse osmosis and MFD.

Friends, this is a very serious problem. Let us do our bit to conserve the water we get from our taps. Im wondering if the media would react to this and launch a 'Water Day' on the same scale as the 'Earth Day'

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.