Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find I'm so excited, I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel, a free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope.

Red, Movie = The Shawshank Redemption

Unlike Red, I did not spend 30 years in prison, nor am I breaking parole. But I am on the cusp of a long journey, I am a free man, and I am heading to Mexico. And I am not sure what the conclusion of my journey will be (not exactly). Like Red, a lot of the motivation is hope, combined with wanting to move on from current circumstances. Aka get busy living, or get busy dying. And I've been to MX several times, so its informed hope.

I am finding it hard to sit still, concentrating is also a bit of a challenge. I've done all the prep I can think of - though the "pack the car, lets see if it all fits" moment of truth is yet to come. I've done so much purging, yet this remains an issue. This is of secondary importance though, I do fully understand the fact the administration is in order - Car Maintenance Current, Hotel Reservations, Banking, Immigration, TIP - are much more important versus whether or not I pack enough pairs of socks.

The weather is looking good, temps have come down in Nevada, Arizona and western Mexico. It's actually semi-cold here in the northern USA, I'm likely to not need to use the AC in my car the first few days. This is all good, should increase my comfort, and subject my car to less of a stress test.

If anyone has thoughts or last days pieces of advice, I'm all ears.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Good luck brother, any questions be sure to ask. My info is dated, haven't lived there before for 33 years, so I can't help with the way things work now. I do know why they work the way they do.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
I've done all the prep I can think of - though the "pack the car, lets see if it all fits" moment of truth is yet to come.
Have you considered a rooftop car carrier?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you considered a rooftop car carrier?
I am determined to keep the size of my load controlled. In fact, I want to be able to easily completely empty my passenger compartment each night (to prevent thieves from being tempted to break my windows) - just a small cooler, one duffle bag and one backpack. All else must fit in the trunk.

If at the last minute, I have to exclude 20 clothing items, that is what I will do.

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
I am determined to keep the size of my load controlled. In fact, I want to be able to easily completely empty my passenger compartment each night (to prevent thieves from being tempted to break my windows) - just a small cooler, one duffle bag and one backpack. All else must fit in the trunk.

If at the last minute, I have to exclude 20 clothing items, that is what I will do.
My truck was packed to the max, under the camper as well. The one night I spent on the road was at a well lit hotel next to a busy highway and an Oxxo. I mentioned to the manager that I would tip him in the morning to watch my truck which he did. A lot of hotels offer underground parking or parking in an enclosed lot with security but I had the dog which limited my choices. With a little planning you can park safely and not have to sacrifice so much that will need to be replaced.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The hotels I have bookings with all have very positive comments about the parking being secure. I agree this is an important feature.

Still, I don't want to get into a mindset of rationalizing bringing as much as possible. Rather, I want to bring what I'll need and some of what I want. In Mexico, I do want my life to be less about things, than it has been in the USA.

As I have been shedding stuff over the past couple of months, I have repeatedly wondered how I ever accumulated so much. A very long time in one place will do that, I suppose.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Yep, same here. I have come to the conclusion that, you accumulate stuff to get you through a role in life.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
236 Posts
Good luck to you in your new adventure.

One thing that you might want to keep in mind when you are in Mexico. You said, Adios America..... Mexico is actually part of North America and some Mexicans are sensitive that that.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Last week suggestions: if you have favorite ethnic restaurants visit them one last time, as you might have trouble finding them here, depending on the cuisine (and where you end up living). Also good steak places are less common and more expensive here. But you can grab a better steak dinner on your way through Texas than you can find in Seattle anyway.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
With Costco and Sam's club many restaurants but their steaks there now a days...I have had the best steaks in my 70+ years in Guayabitos, Tonala, San Miguel and San Cristobal.....

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You said, Adios America..... Mexico is actually part of North America and some Mexicans are sensitive that that.
Thanks, I have read that. I have in MX observed many visitors being dingalings, I am determined to avoid that.

eastwind said:
if you have favorite ethnic restaurants

Also good steak places are less common and more expensive here. But you can grab a better steak dinner on your way through Texas than you can find in Seattle anyway.
I will be sure to eat some Thai food this weekend.

I actually won't be driving anywhere near Texas ... my route is through Nevada then Arizona ... plenty of beef in Nevada and Arizona, though.

chicois8 said:
With Costco and Sam's club
My issue might be cooking facilities. I don't have a home identified, I am in hotels to begin with. If I rent an apartment, maybe it will have a communal grill, maybe it won't. FYI, I will be in Guadalajara.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Now CHicois I need to know, where did you have great steaks in San Cristobal? After 10 years there I have yet to have a good steak here..

·
Registered
164 Posts
The drive south along the coast on HWY 15 is pleasant & accommodating; weather should be mostly agreeable too. Regarding steak, I have to say that the best thick cut aged Ribeye served up that I can recall was in Ciudad Obregon, Sonora some years back.

Enjoy the ride & journey with an open mind to adaptation and change; don’t tie yourself down with unnecessary US protocols and programmed expectations. When the frustrating unknown surfaces – reinvent, don’t stress.

Muy buen viaje!

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Throughout the Americas Argentinians have a reputation for an overinflated view of themselves and all things Argentine. (There’s a joke about the the very lucrative business of buying an Argentine for what they are actually worth and selling them for what they think they are worth...)

However when it comes to their meat, they are not exaggerating about it being unequalled. The best steak I’ve ever eaten was in Argentina, and not just in one venue - consistently, whether in restaurants or at a home backyard barbecue (la parrillada o el asado - both terms used for barbecue). Must be something about grass-fed cattle raised on La Pampa. Maybe the music of the gauchos in the night.

Urban Man, your excitement is palpable. All the best in your journey and do keep us informed. Que Dios y todos sus ángeles te acompañen.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
I tried the various Argentinian restaurants on Real de Guadalupe and found them overpriced and overrated as well , I do not cross their door anymore.
I also do not like one particular restaurant there that has all kinds of bottles high up.. ready to fall in an earthquake.. hopefully they all went down in the last one and they will have safer way to store wine on their next go around...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts