Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Well the dentist will know why you are seeing him. Why not be brave and see the local dentist (who is bound to know some English) and try out your French, however basic?

If French professionals or people generally see that you are making an effort to speak their language they are often more than happy to try out their English on you or at least to help you out.

As has been said elsewhere, it takes years before you can expect to be fluent. But you can shorten the time considerably if you force yourself to speak and live French as much as possible.

However I am sure other Gersois on the forum will be able to help you out if you are sure that you need an English speaker, good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would recommend to look for a dentist on "doctolib"
It's a great site, you see the list of doctors and dentists, look what languages they speak and take an appointment online so you won't have to deal with a secretary that don't know English.

·
Administrator
51,337 Posts
Just a small word of caution - in some prefectures the local authorities are stricter about the prohibition on "advertising" for medical practitioners than in others. (I happen to live in one of the strictest - or so it seems.) Many doctors and dentists do not list their languages because (in the past at least) the local prefecture has deemed that to be "advertising."

Sometimes you just have to call the office and ask. (And, again at least in our little corner of France, very often it's the dentist his or her self who answers the phone and takes appointments - often right in the middle of someone else's appointment.)

One other possibility - ask at your local pharmacy if they know of any of the dentists in the area who might speak English. The pharmacies here are incredible resources for finding medical practitioners and other information about the medical system here.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello everyone

Well i asked this question for a little experiment to see how many english are in Gers full time all year....and it's not looking good from where i am looking. I have been living in Gers for 6 years and know more than school class french after coping with their hospitals and other lovely burocracy things (pardon the spelling) and have found that Gers is getting empty of french and english how is it in other departments?????

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Hello everyone

Well i asked this question for a little experiment to see how many english are in Gers full time all year....and it's not looking good from where i am looking. I have been living in Gers for 6 years and know more than school class french after coping with their hospitals and other lovely burocracy things (pardon the spelling) and have found that Gers is getting empty of french and english how is it in other departments?????
Then why didn't you ask outright?

And when you say "it's not looking good..." do you mean that you feel that there should be more English people living there? For what reason?

Good for you for coping with the language - if you have been living here for six years you must be able to handle most situations- including the dentist.

·
Administrator
51,337 Posts
Just for reference, in our local AVF there has been a distinct drop-off in the numbers of foreigners living in the area - and this is in Ile de France (i.e. the Paris area). Previously, we always had a substantial anglophone cluster in the area, but due to changes in politics, economics and who knows what else, the foreigners now tend to be more Russians, Chinese and South American. These folks are here for a year or two and then go back home (basically due to the university and research institutes in the area).
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 7 of 7 Posts