Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke my tooth recently and the local dentist is charging me over 2500 Eur for repair work which seems insane!! Has anyone had any dentist work done recently?

Apparently I need root canal : €600, 2 crowns €1350 and an inlay €600 + he charged me €100 for an xray and €90 Eur for cleaning!!

Please tell me there are cheaper alternatives???

·
Registered
136 Posts
Apparently I need root canal : €600, 2 crowns €1350 and an inlay €600 + he charged me €100 for an xray and €90 Eur for cleaning!!
My friend went to the dentist recently here in Lyon and it was €30 for the cleaning and €50 for 3 fillings. I have an appointment with the same dentist soon, so I do not yet know how much the social security will reimburse, but I have been told it is not much.

Maybe dentists in Lyon are much cheaper than where you are, but 3x expensive for a cleaning sounds like too much.

·
Administrator
51,610 Posts
You want to make sure you're going to a dentist who is "agréé" or "conventioné" - which means that they stick to the standard list of charges from the sécu. Crowns are tricky because they only pay for enamel crowns for a front tooth (i.e. one that will show), and metal crowns for back teeth. My last enamel crown cost something like 600 or 700€, of which only about half was reimbursed by my mutuelle. (Usually requires pre-approval by the mutuelle.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
82 Posts
I broke my tooth recently and the local dentist is charging me over 2500 Eur for repair work which seems insane!! Has anyone had any dentist work done recently?

Hi I know this is a bit late but I still live in the UK and could not find a National Health dentist that I could afford. As I was going out to Hong Kong again on business I asked my optition there if he could recommend a dentist. She was a Canadian who charged me the pricely sum of £2.60p for the initial examination and xray then £60 for an extraction of a front tooth with a bridge fitted there and then a one and a half hour appointment. When I went back six moths later the perm bridge was fitted complete with straight teeth and ex colour match (never had straight front teeth before). I have now found a NHS dentist but you only get to see them every two years now so each time I am in HK I get my teeth checked and cleanen for less than £10. At the prices your Dentist there wants to charge I would take my holiday in HK as included a suite in a waterfront hotel and the airfare it works out at about £1,000 for 8 days. BTW for varifocals, Dior frames and my eye test I pay around £70 for my glasses.
Chris

·
Registered
594 Posts
Dentist in France = pain for the wallet.
Consult many (shop around) before taking a decision. Some will accept payment in 3 installments.
If need be, go to Morocco or Hungary (cheaper).

Good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
Of course you can find cheaper alternatives

I would recommend you to take into consideration going abroad. Romania is an uprising destination, and you can tailor make your holiday, too.

·
Administrator
51,610 Posts
If you've got a mutuelle, I'd run that one by them first to see how much they will (or won't) pay for.

My last crown ran me that much (back in 2007) and the mutuelle only reimbursed about half. Even the dentist said that was not so great - but the mutuelle reimburses really well for eyeglasses, and I need those more often than I need crowns. (Or so we can hope.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
47 Posts
Poor me Bev. No mutuelle, nothing. It will have to be my partner's hard earned cash, lol lol. So, the price seems to be good as you mentioned. Still half the price I paid back in New Zealand.

·
Registered
629 Posts
€750 for root canal and crown. Is that a good price? What do you think?
My sister, brother in law and ex husband are all leading UK dental surgeons as is a French ex boyfriend in France. I've worked for all of them so speak with some (hopefully!) knowledge.

It's virtually impossible to give benchmark figures because all treatment plans involve different aspects of dentistry and therefore fees can vary. Dentists in France are obliged to give a devis for any treatment over 70 euros. The best thing to do is get a second opinion to give yourself an idea of whether 750 euros for your specific treatment seems to be comparable.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My dentist story.

The best thing to do is get a second opinion to give yourself an idea of whether 750 euros for your specific treatment seems to be comparable.
Is there any place we can check if the dentist is registered and is legal and all that stuff? Because I know of cases where people are fake dentists and stuff like that.

Anyway.

My story. :eek:

I knew tooth (5, right side I think) wasn't well. On a rainy day in Paris I felt it was worse. OMG. How can a person who does not speak French go to a French dentist? Well, lucky this person here speaks two other languages.
I checked on this forum, just got you guys talking about prices and mutuelles. I failed to check the thread about English speaking dentists.
Halfway through I also checked the community of my other spoken language. And I found 3 people recommending a nice, not so expensive dentist.
That's what I needed.

I rang. Spoke easily. Went to see her. On the x-rays she just told me "oh oh, needs a root canal . . . my colleague will do that for you".

I said: 'hang on there. how much? She said "€230".

Well, I thought, not too bad. But, what do you mean my colleague will do that?, I asked.

Next minute, this Tunisian guy was halfway through the process. OK, that's fast. Oh well, he finished already. Oh dear. That must be France. Modern. Advanced.

He looks at me and book me for the following week. Pay €150 now and the rest next week. Not bad.

OK. On the following week, surprise! My nice dentist is away for the week. OK. How are we going to communicate now? OK, sit down. Ziiiiii, zuuuuu, shfosudfhhhs. (this is the drilling sound).

Then, he speaks with his assistant. Then they showed me my tooth through the mirror. And he writes on a piece of paper: €600.

I managed to understand that unfortunately to have a strong tooth that won't get noir soon, I would need a crown (I had never heard of root canal that didn't need one, indeed). And k209fja;lkdjf048ha;lkfjaosf03r94u. Yes, that's the French part.

Luckily, the cleaner is Portuguese and she nicely offered to help my poor understanding. Apparently he was doing a nice price for me because I didn't have mutuelle.

But nobody was able to tell me why he didn't tell me the original price didn't include the crown, lol; how it jumped from €230 to €600 (+€150 already paid).

Anyway, that's my story. It' done. I'm gonna finish this crown with them and you know what? I don't feel comfortable going back there. ;)

Cheers dears!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Is there any place we can check if the dentist is registered and is legal and all that stuff? Because I know of cases where people are fake dentists and stuff like that.

Anyway.

My story. :eek:

I knew tooth (5, right side I think) wasn't well. On a rainy day in Paris I felt it was worse. OMG. How can a person who does not speak French go to a French dentist? Well, lucky this person here speaks two other languages.
I checked on this forum, just got you guys talking about prices and mutuelles. I failed to check the thread about English speaking dentists.
Halfway through I also checked the community of my other spoken language. And I found 3 people recommending a nice, not so expensive dentist.
That's what I needed.

I rang. Spoke easily. Went to see her. On the x-rays she just told me "oh oh, needs a root canal . . . my colleague will do that for you".

I said: 'hang on there. how much? She said "€230".

Well, I thought, not too bad. But, what do you mean my colleague will do that?, I asked.

Next minute, this Tunisian guy was halfway through the process. OK, that's fast. Oh well, he finished already. Oh dear. That must be France. Modern. Advanced.

He looks at me and book me for the following week. Pay €150 now and the rest next week. Not bad.

OK. On the following week, surprise! My nice dentist is away for the week. OK. How are we going to communicate now? OK, sit down. Ziiiiii, zuuuuu, shfosudfhhhs. (this is the drilling sound).

Then, he speaks with his assistant. Then they showed me my tooth through the mirror. And he writes on a piece of paper: €600.

I managed to understand that unfortunately to have a strong tooth that won't get noir soon, I would need a crown (I had never heard of root canal that didn't need one, indeed). And k209fja;lkdjf048ha;lkfjaosf03r94u. Yes, that's the French part.

Luckily, the cleaner is Portuguese and she nicely offered to help my poor understanding. Apparently he was doing a nice price for me because I didn't have mutuelle.

But nobody was able to tell me why he didn't tell me the original price didn't include the crown, lol; how it jumped from €230 to €600 (+€150 already paid).

Anyway, that's my story. It' done. I'm gonna finish this crown with them and you know what? I don't feel comfortable going back there. ;)

Cheers dears!
You can check if a dentist is qualified with the Ordre National des Chirurgien Dentistes.

If your dentist didn't give you a written devis which you both signed above his original one he cannot charge you more. If he didn't even give you a written devis for the 250 euros he was also in breach of their ethical charter and you should report him to the Ordre.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.