Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been in good health all my life physically in general, abstaining from alcohol, never smoked or tried drugs, never needed surgery, ... My one vice health-wise is a year long addiction to Coca-Cola, which I am trying to get rid off now. However, damage has already been done and some of my teeth are in rather bad state because of the addiction that has existed for years. I would like to get my teeth repaired or, if needed, have false teeth.

I so far only needed to see the doctor once to get my normal subscriptions for the meds that I have been taking for years, all free and the pharmacy charged me only 2 € which was a whole lot cheaper than in any other where I lived before. I was shocked to hear however that a full dental repair (= fixing all teeth) would cost well over 5000 € and that some Spaniards go abroad for dental care (one friend of mine did it in Brazil and said the travel and dental care there combined where still cheaper than having it done in Spain itself :eek:)

So I was wondering if there is no affordable option at all for those whose teeth are severely damaged and want to get rid of their last health vice? I am really willing to get rid of the cola addiction but would like to get my teeth at least looking cleaner as well ; however I don't have financial reserves allowing to spend a few thousand euros on it and even if I had I'd say the price is just absurd.

Does anyone have any hints?

·
Registered
843 Posts
If you think that dental work is expensive in Spain, you should see the cost in the UK!!! When I was living in the UK, I was quoted £2500 for one dental inplant. I came across to Spain to have it done, and it cost 1000 euros (and I'm sure if I had been a resident here I would have found it cheaper). Whilst the UK does still have some state provision for dental care, in reality, most procedures can only be done privately, and the costs are astronomical. I would be interested to hear of other peoples' experiences of using dentist here in Spain. It's on my 'to do' list!!

·
Banned
2,426 Posts
If you think Spain is expensive try Norway! A Norwegian dentist in Torrevieja advertises that their patients can have an annual check up cheaper in Spain than Norway even with flights and accommodation included.

That said I think dentistry is in danger of pricing itself out of the realms of the guy in the street and two friends have recently had major work done in Poland and Goa to save considerable expense. A good friend who had to be kind very poor teeth spent 3 weeks in Goa and has now a superb full mouth of beautiful shining teeth for just 1800 USD!!

His whole 3 week adventure for himself and wife in 4* beach hotel including flights was less than 10,000 euros - half what he had been quoted at his local dentist in Albir ....without the holiday of a lifetime.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Yep - 40euros the going rate here for fillings too. Extractions :eek: and check ups free though on the SS.

We've been very pleased with the work carried out on our daughter so far. OK, so corrective work for children you have to pay for and she needed a fair amount of correction to her teeth - and now should be in her final phase before a retaining "brace" is put in place for a year or so. Although in total we will have paid approx 3000euros for all the treatment she's received which will hopefully leave her with that "Colgate smile" :D what we did find here as opposed to the UK was that they wanted to start her corrective treatment much, much earlier. She was just over 8 years old when she started. I think they leave it much later in the UK if I remember correctly, perhaps early teens?? What that did mean for her was that no extractions or surgery was required, and therefore when she lost her milk teeth in preparation for her secondary set to come through, they were able to fall into place easily with minimal fuss. Again, x-rays via a private hospital (full facial x-rays/machine spinning around the head job) cost around 45euros.

As for my boys - elder son is in the last stages of treatment (luckily nothing really in comparison to his twin sister - just a "take out and put in" brace) and youngest son just required a "habit breaker" retainer which has done the trick and he's been wearing that at night for the past year - has worked incredibly well and therefore should not require anything more permanent after that.

Regarding cosmetic dentistry/implants/veneers etc, I think there is a very competitive market here and still favourable pricewise in comparison to UK private dental on talking to family and friends back in the UK.

·
Registered
22,341 Posts
Before we left Prague,we had extensive dental surgery carried out. Implants, veneers the lot!
A very professional job at roughly a quarter to a third of the UK price, carried out by one of the CR's top dental surgeons.
So.... take a holiday in one of Europe's most beautiful cities combined with having a superb set of gnashers!
Anyone interested can pm me for details of the dental surgeon and his clinic, all of which can be viewed on-line.
I guess he had clients from Spain as his prospectus/price list came in Czech, English, German and Spanish.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
If you forsee needing a fair amount of dental work - sign up and pay private health insurance. My last "crown" was about 200Euros all in. I need an implant and prosthetic cap and that'll be a good 1000 - I keep putting it off - but more because it takes so long.

A mates dad in Barcelona paid out 18,000Euros for a full service. But he did go top drawer.

·
Registered
22,341 Posts
If you forsee needing a fair amount of dental work - sign up and pay private health insurance. My last "crown" was about 200Euros all in. I need an implant and prosthetic cap and that'll be a good 1000 - I keep putting it off - but more because it takes so long.

A mates dad in Barcelona paid out 18,000Euros for a full service. But he did go top drawer.

So take a holiday in Prague and combine business with pleasure!:D

·
Administrator
36,380 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
what do you think she sees in the mirror?
:clap2::clap2: Probably, poor deluded soul. How the hell does she think that would be attractive or even an improvement on ageing gracefully?! Mind you, here in Spain we have our very own Duquesa de Alba and Ana Obregon :eek::eek::eek:

·
Administrator
36,380 Posts
:clap2::clap2: Probably, poor deluded soul. How the hell does she think that would be attractive or even an improvement on ageing gracefully?! Mind you, here in Spain we have our very own Duquesa de Alba and Ana Obregon :eek::eek::eek:
true

Belen Esteban does look a bit better without the trunks under her eyes though

OMG that was *****y:eek:

edit - it sweary filter didn't like that one;)

·
Registered
22,341 Posts
:D At my mum's dental surgery, they're offering Botox as well now. A lot of these packages abroad do the full works, don't they. Still, wouldn't want to end up looking like this!!:eek::eek:....

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/02_03/Wildenstein1WENN_468x696.jpg

In some cases, formaldehyde might be more appropriate!
I think I'd put more trust in Czech doctors, dentists etc. than, say Bulgarian or Hungarian equivalents. The Czech health service has a good reputation, on the whole.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Please check out who you are going to choose/use...
There are some great Scandi dentists in the Malaga/cdel sol area... but i find they are beginning to price themselves out of the 'ordinary' persons reach.
But i guess if your teeth are important to you, then find someone who you consider to be a good bet and possibly negotiate if a lot of work is involved.
My implant cost 900 Euros 5 yrs ago. A crown Euros 400. This has gone up about 20% now. But I trust the dentist implicitly.
There are a lot of 'duds' about.. If you can... go on recommendation/your gut feeling when you get there.
(I am in the process of trying to find someone nr/in Fuengirola as I have had some aches/pains recently and my previous guy has moved to Puerto Banus... But then again.. maybe he would be worth travelling to see)...

·
Registered
843 Posts
Please check out who you are going to choose/use...
There are some great Scandi dentists in the Malaga/cdel sol area... but i find they are beginning to price themselves out of the 'ordinary' persons reach.
But i guess if your teeth are important to you, then find someone who you consider to be a good bet and possibly negotiate if a lot of work is involved.
My implant cost 900 Euros 5 yrs ago. A crown Euros 400. This has gone up about 20% now. But I trust the dentist implicitly.
There are a lot of 'duds' about.. If you can... go on recommendation/your gut feeling when you get there.
(I am in the process of trying to find someone nr/in Fuengirola as I have had some aches/pains recently and my previous guy has moved to Puerto Banus... But then again.. maybe he would be worth travelling to see)...
I'm in the same boat! Looking for a dentist in the Fuengirola area. I haven't had any recommendations, but have emailed a few to get an idea of prices and basically, it ranges from 30 euros for a check up and clean, to about 70 euro just for a consultation! I have seen a dentist down Marbella way, but I don't really want to travel that far with the kids, as my daughter will need orthodontic services and will therefore have more frequent appointments. If you hear of a good recommendation I would love to hear from you

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I'm in the same boat! Looking for a dentist in the Fuengirola area. I haven't had any recommendations, but have emailed a few to get an idea of prices and basically, it ranges from 30 euros for a check up and clean, to about 70 euro just for a consultation! I have seen a dentist down Marbella way, but I don't really want to travel that far with the kids, as my daughter will need orthodontic services and will therefore have more frequent appointments. If you hear of a good recommendation I would love to hear from you
That's a good point Lynn - you will really want somewhere close by in your daughter's situation. My daughter's treatment entails her going every month for checks and adjustments to her aparato - plus if there's any "emergency work" to be done, it's not too far away - for example, if part of the aparato becomes loose (perhaps she's forgotten to not take the meat off the bone if they're having ribs at school lunch for example) and she's managed to unglue one of the pieces on her teeth, etc. Can't you have a word with some of the parents at your children's school? Especially if you see any of your kids' friends wearing braces etc?? Our recommendation came from a family member here whose daughter required extensive work as well - but it's quite easy to get other recommendations from parents round about as well - just check out the shiny metal smiles around the school!:D

Tallulah.x:)

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
That's a good point Lynn - you will really want somewhere close by in your daughter's situation. My daughter's treatment entails her going every month for checks and adjustments to her aparato - plus if there's any "emergency work" to be done, it's not too far away - for example, if part of the aparato becomes loose (perhaps she's forgotten to not take the meat off the bone if they're having ribs at school lunch for example) and she's managed to unglue one of the pieces on her teeth, etc. Can't you have a word with some of the parents at your children's school? Especially if you see any of your kids' friends wearing braces etc?? Our recommendation came from a family member here whose daughter required extensive work as well - but it's quite easy to get other recommendations from parents round about as well - just check out the shiny metal smiles around the school!:D

Tallulah.x:)
Being easy to get to is fundamental and to make sure the dentist has an emergency number or can tell you where to go in an emergency. My daughter had to go every month for 18th months, and although the dentist worked well we always had a minimum of a 45min wait. If we'd had to go to the next town we'd never have got homework done or dinner cooked.
As for emergency, once, there she was in her pijamas, brushing her teeth and "ping" something broke somewhere and she was left with about three cms of wire sticking out of her mouth - no emergency dentist. After several phone calls I ended up taking her to urgencias in the health centre where they managed to cut it off with I don't know what:(
I'm glad that stage of parenting is over. Now she's 15 all I have to worry about is sex n' drugs n' rock n' roll (or rap)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.