Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not affiliated with this, but thought some might find it useful and fun:

Democrats Abroad GOTV Party

When: Monday, October 1, 2012
Where: Neo’s, Address Hotel, Downtown Dubai
Time: 7:30pm

Meet friends, enjoy drinks and canapés, and chat with fellow Democrats!
Register and request your Absentee Ballot!
RSVP to [email protected]

-md000/Mike

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Seeing as how Mr. Romney just publicly wondered "why aeroplane windows don't open".. I surely surely surely hope that the democrats come out and vote everywhere, for global politics sake...

Mitt Romney: why don't aeroplane windows open? - Telegraph
:rolleyes:Yes, because Obama has done so well:

The longest period of time with over 8% unemployment since the Great Depression
More debt raised by any president in history in just four years.
The first US Ambassador assassinated since 1979
The first time a budget has not been passed for this long in modern history
The largest corporate welfare program in history (GM)
Massive amounts of money being printed out of the air by the Fed
Doubling of gas prices during his term
Billions wasted on "green" energy boondoggles
1600 Americans killed under his watch in Afghanistan with "0" results
Only 300,000 more people working today than when he took office
The lowest job participation rate in many years
Stock market and gold prices pumped up by the Fed
$1 trillion more per year in spending average than Bush

With a resume like this is it any wonder we have so many distractions being pushed in the news media?

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
True, you make valid points... but come on .. you have to agree that wondering why window's in planes don't open is disturbing to a certain degree, for an individual running for the presidency...

·
Registered
8,890 Posts
We need a business man who knows how to get a budget in line... not someone giving my kids and grandkids future away.

Please do not make us repeat another four years of this. Literally, the usa can not afford four more years with Obama.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
@XDoodlebugger & Jynxgirl -
1. Some of the facts you presented are true but they could have happened under any President.
2. We don't need a business man that doesn't understand basic economics and lies about how he is going to cut taxes.
3. Romney needs to be more transparent. Release your tax records - every President in the last 20 years has done so (Romney's dad released 12 years of records), what is this dude hiding? Romney had a swiss bank account that was suddenly closed? How come no one is scrutinizing his Morman faith? We all jumped on Obama and about his faith and Jeremiah Wright. Everyone made an issue of the Obama birth certificate and both the long and short forms were produced and yet some are still unsatisfied.
4. People need to stop assuming that the President is in charge and can change all this.... it is the congress. We need to change the idiots in Congress, they are the ones that are running the show and looking out for themselves and lining their pockets. No one is going to change anything in 4 years and don't give me that bull**** that all our problems were caused in the last 4 years. Our problems were mounting from the Reagan administration and snowballed. We need to change the US system so that it does not allow people to make a career in politics (Strom Thurmand, Ted Kennedy, Orrin Hatch, Richard Lugar, John Kerry, John McCain). These guys serve longer terms and serve them multiple times, they are they ones that know what is going on and how to play/game the system.
5. I actually would have voted for McCain in the last election, but then he goes and screws it up by selecting that idiot Palin as a running mate. So given my choices, I would keep the status quo than have Romney elected President.

Seeing as how Mr. Romney just publicly wondered "why aeroplane windows don't open".. I surely surely surely hope that the democrats come out and vote everywhere, for global politics sake...

Mitt Romney: why don't aeroplane windows open? - Telegraph
It was a joke. Everyone present said it was a joke and it was clearly taken out of context. Don't do what the Republicans and FOX news do and take a snippet and make it news....

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
True, you make valid points... but come on .. you have to agree that wondering why window's in planes don't open is disturbing to a certain degree, for an individual running for the presidency...
Uh, you do realize that he said it as a joke, right?

From your article:

"The storm scarcely abated when reporters at the event conceded Mr Romney had made a joke, albeit it one that did not translate outside the room. "

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I stand by it.. I don't believe it was a joke.. not until I see a complete recreation of all the events leading up to and after the purported 'joke' (both long form and short form). Also I would require at least 5 experts in regards to making jokes, ideal candidates would be Robin Williams, Bill Maher, Russell Peters, Richard Pryor and Dave Chapelle, to review the reenactment. Finally a congressional hearing on the topic might also be warranted...

P.S: It's sarcastic.. apparently it was a joke.. i stand corrected and more so relieved. In my defense though:

Did Media Fail to Report That Romney Was Joking About Wanting Airplane Windows to Roll Down? | Video | TheBlaze.com

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
@XDoodlebugger & Jynxgirl -
1. Some of the facts you presented are true but they could have happened under any President.
2. We don't need a business man that doesn't understand basic economics and lies about how he is going to cut taxes.
3. Romney needs to be more transparent. Release your tax records - every President in the last 20 years has done so (Romney's dad released 12 years of records), what is this dude hiding? Romney had a swiss bank account that was suddenly closed? How come no one is scrutinizing his Morman faith? We all jumped on Obama and about his faith and Jeremiah Wright. Everyone made an issue of the Obama birth certificate and both the long and short forms were produced and yet some are still unsatisfied.
4. People need to stop assuming that the President is in charge and can change all this.... it is the congress. We need to change the idiots in Congress, they are the ones that are running the show and looking out for themselves and lining their pockets. No one is going to change anything in 4 years and don't give me that bull**** that all our problems were caused in the last 4 years. Our problems were mounting from the Reagan administration and snowballed. We need to change the US system so that it does not allow people to make a career in politics (Strom Thurmand, Ted Kennedy, Orrin Hatch, Richard Lugar, John Kerry, John McCain). These guys serve longer terms and serve them multiple times, they are they ones that know what is going on and how to play/game the system.
5. I actually would have voted for McCain in the last election, but then he goes and screws it up by selecting that idiot Palin as a running mate. So given my choices, I would keep the status quo than have Romney elected President.

It was a joke. Everyone present said it was a joke and it was clearly taken out of context. Don't do what the Republicans and FOX news do and take a snippet and make it news....
I can agree with a lot of what you say but as Obama is the consummate politician your conclusion seems a bit odd. Everything this guy has done seems to be a plan to go into high level politics.

Romney has released two years of returns and had his accounting team certify that he has paid an average of 20% over the years. And I know that the IRS would be giving this guy and anal probe for the last two years and if they didn't find anything then I'm OK with it.

I've had offshore bank accounts and find this to be a non-issue as well.

I do find the Mormon religion as goofy or more than some out there but no worse than some and definitely much less worse than the garbage coming out of Rev. Wright's & Obama's church. I tend to judge people by their actions in life rather than their religion and I see Romney giving huge amounts of money away to charity, volunteering his time not only for the US Olympics but as governor of Mass as well. Some of the personal stories less known are very touching.

I see Obama not even helping his half brothers in Kenya even though Obama's personal wealth is rising dramatically while he is in office.

I also agree about Congress, Harry Reid is completely worthless as Senate Leader, to not pass a budget in over 1000 days is a disgrace. I had disdain for Hastert and Frist but when Pelosi and Reid took over Congress was elevated dramatically on my disgust meter.

I did not think the things Obama were going to do as he promised when running was going to work, I was very vocal about it. Given that you would have to give the guy 2009 and 2010 to see results beginning to happen, you can even say 2011 was needed for corrections but we are now nearing 2013 and frankly we are stuck in neutral. It's time for someone else to step in and try, unless you can tell me exactly what Obama's plan is going forward? All I've seen is a plan to raise taxes, nothing about any reform on his part that will result in a change from today.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Could not have agreed 120% more with Indomla on this. A candidate that says that middle class in USA earns between 200k to 250k have no idea of what the reality is. Romney considers middle class in that bracket. He also confirmed that he is not going to govern for the rest of the 47% of the American ppl and now he is trying to fix things by running ads on tv to fix the mess.

I had a good laugh when I watched the video. it is sometimes funny how US politics play out.

I just wonder how the republican electorate that earn less than 200k feel ...left alone?

·
Registered
8,890 Posts
I hadnt looked at this in the last six months, but no surprise...

And if it isnt a wake up call to americans that we can not contiue in our path, nothing is.

U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Could not have agreed 120% more with Indomla on this. A candidate that says that middle class in USA earns between 200k to 250k have no idea of what the reality is. Romney considers middle class in that bracket. He also confirmed that he is not going to govern for the rest of the 47% of the American ppl and now he is trying to fix things by running ads on tv to fix the mess.

I had a good laugh when I watched the video. it is sometimes funny how US politics play out.

I just wonder how the republican electorate that earn less than 200k feel ...left alone?
Those with a clue understand he is talking about small business owners who file as individuals, but even there, yes $200k still is in the middle class and gets hit especially hard with taxes if they are earning that in income as opposed to investments.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I hadnt looked at this in the last six months, but no surprise...

And if it isnt a wake up call to americans that we can not contiue in our path, nothing is.

U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time
Obama and his Congress fixed in spending that is a TRILLION more a year than Bush spent, and I thought Bush's spending sucked!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Those with a clue understand he is talking about small business owners who file as individuals, but even there, yes $200k still is in the middle class and gets hit especially hard with taxes if they are earning that in income as opposed to investments.
Those with a clue understand that he categorized the entire middle class in that bracket. The vast majority of ppl don't make that kind of money. He never used the word business. As you said, if you think he means business. you are inferring and he is not dumb, he would have used the word business if he really meant that. He did not. He is not naive.

Reality is He was caught in a remarkable moment of candor and people realized his true colours.

I like when those happen that's how you learn how ppl really are.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Those with a clue understand that he categorized the entire middle class in that bracket. The vast majority of ppl don't make that kind of money. He never used the word business. As you said, if you think he means business. you are inferring and he is not dumb, he would have used the word business if he really meant that. He did not. He is not naive.

Reality is He was caught in a remarkable moment of candor and people realized his true colours.

I like when those happen that's how you learn how ppl really are.
But if Obama gets re-elected where would your prime minister go for health care? If BO gets his way we will have the same system as you?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
You really have to be a right, proper arsehole to be against free healthcare.
Not necessarily. Although, I do like the idea of free healthcare, one needs to realize that it needs to be paid for in some form or fashion. There are other issues with free healthcare that many people don't understand. In the countries where free healthcare works, you have to look at the their economies and the population size and then compare it to the US. These countries are smaller in population and they do limit who can get access to the free healthcare. I think that free healthcare should be a right of every citizen of the US, but then what about non-citizens? Are we going to turn away someone from being treated if they can't prove they are a citizen? Sounds pretty callous.

Most people unfairly make the argument about a panel of judges that will pick and choose who is treated and who is not, Although, this will not occur in a formal setting, it will occur informally in the hospitals and other care facilities. In the free healthcare system you would be more time and money conscience and only expend the effort on those that have a chance of survival. For example, if a 13yr old and 70yr old both need a kidney, in a free healthcare system, the doctors and staff would opt on the younger person getting the procedure since his/her chance of survival is higher and the usefulness is greater (mortality/morbidity rate is lower in the younger person).

It is my personal belief that the underlying rules and process of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (Obamacare as the Rebulicans call its predecessor RomneyCare - yes, Obamacare was modeled after RomneyCare) are genuine, I think it goes after the wrong people. It should direct the penalties and fines/fees at the insurance companies and not the consumer. It is usually the consumer being taken advantage of by the insurance industry.

Anyway, this discussion can go a lot longer, but there will be no understanding since there are a lot more issues that we need to look at and deal. I have never found anything to be genuinely FREE. :D

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
But if Obama gets re-elected where would your prime minister go for health care? If BO gets his way we will have the same system as you?
Canadian System is far from perfect.

Let me tell you about how phenomenally awesome the Canadian Health System is and how likely the US proposal may be superior than the Canadian one.

a) It is not free. Canadians pay a huge income tax for it more than any American. The cost of a family of 3 is in the range of 12K CAD year. Source: Canadian Income Tax. That cost has been going up google to find more info if this interests you

b) Health is available in big cities not in the small ones. The number of docs in Canada is still an ongoing challenge. Also there is a huge queue for important surgeries and some travel abroad to get it done. So much for FREE huh!

I lived in Quebec and in Ontario (border) and I Can tell you that in Quebec the health care was precarious.

c) Health Care is provincial. If a Quebecker is in Ontario and needs treatment, he is obliged to pay around 50$ to see a doctor (back 2 years ago). This is not acceptable. What if he has no funds should he die ? This happens because each province has a different way to run it. If I go back to Canada and land in Ontario I can only request my health card after 3 months of residency (even being a Canadian) as per Ontario rules whereas in Alberta I do not need to wait three months.

IT is run by provinces therefore you can imagine the inefficiencies. In the UK they are trimming the costs by improving the processes and etc... Canada could do that. It could actually turn it Federal which is the best, but some provinces are really blind about this read Quebec.....

d) I lived in Ottawa which is not a big city in terms of population (1M tops).There are good hospitals and infrastructure. I was really impressed with the facilities and treatment that were available to me. I know, however, that these are not available to the great majority of Canadians.

The US proposal in my view is better. At least it is guaranteeing solvency of the system by 2024 due to its policy where 85% (I may be wrong about the number) of premiums must go for reserves (cash for operations) rather than recognizing profits. A damn good proposal if you ask me because one of the problems in running a Semi Free or Free care is to run it efficiently and keep the costs down.

The private sector will push costs down due to competition.

The other option is to raise taxes or do what Romney proposed cut benefits across the board which is pretty lame

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Canadian System is far from perfect.

Let me tell you about how phenomenally awesome the Canadian Health System is and how likely the US proposal may be superior than the Canadian one.

a) It is not free. Canadians pay a huge income tax for it more than any American. The cost of a family of 3 is in the range of 12K CAD year. Source: Canadian Income Tax. That cost has been going up google to find more info if this interests you

b) Health is available in big cities not in the small ones. The number of docs in Canada is still an ongoing challenge. Also there is a huge queue for important surgeries and some travel abroad to get it done. So much for FREE huh!

I lived in Quebec and in Ontario (border) and I Can tell you that in Quebec the health care was precarious.

c) Health Care is provincial. If a Quebecker is in Ontario and needs treatment, he is obliged to pay around 50$ to see a doctor (back 2 years ago). This is not acceptable. What if he has no funds should he die ? This happens because each province has a different way to run it. If I go back to Canada and land in Ontario I can only request my health card after 3 months of residency (even being a Canadian) as per Ontario rules whereas in Alberta I do not need to wait three months.

IT is run by provinces therefore you can imagine the inefficiencies. In the UK they are trimming the costs by improving the processes and etc... Canada could do that. It could actually turn it Federal which is the best, but some provinces are really blind about this read Quebec.....

d) I lived in Ottawa which is not a big city in terms of population (1M tops).There are good hospitals and infrastructure. I was really impressed with the facilities and treatment that were available to me. I know, however, that these are not available to the great majority of Canadians.

The US proposal in my view is better. At least it is guaranteeing solvency of the system by 2024 due to its policy where 85% (I may be wrong about the number) of premiums must go for reserves (cash for operations) rather than recognizing profits. A damn good proposal if you ask me because one of the problems in running a Semi Free or Free care is to run it efficiently and keep the costs down.

The private sector will push costs down due to competition.

The other option is to raise taxes or do what Romney proposed cut benefits across the board which is pretty lame
Thank you for your appraisal of the Canadian health care system, my only experience is from looking at the news accounts and from my brother who is an optometrist and does pre and post care on eye patients coming down from Canada for treatment at his facility.

You have much more faith in what they are trying to do here than I have, looking at what the results will be seems to just be adding additional burden onto our private system until it collapses.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
You really have to be a right, proper arsehole to be against free healthcare.
Where is healthcare "free"? Can we get a "free" lunch thrown in as well? Maybe a "free" car?

I paid $150 a month out of my pocket for US healthcare for two people which is way less than 2% of my salary. My federal tax rate after deductions was less than 10% last year (I have a good accountant). I like having my employer pay for most of my healthcare as I can get the best healthcare in the world at any hospital in the world.

Romney's tax rate of 14% is higher than 97% of Americans by the way.

Anyone in the single payer system countries want to tell me their tax rates (if living in their own country)? 40, 45, 50%? But you get "free" healthcare, right?

1 - 20 of 127 Posts