Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

First post...

Here's my situation as the London Oz Embassy couldn't give me a clear answer.

I'm over 30 and I'm engaged to an awesome Australian girl who's been back in Brissy for 3 weeks now as she starts her new job.

We've applied for my defacto visa in December and i'm still waiting (been told late April early May) - i'm here in London UK still.

I'd like to go over asap possible and have been advised originally by my case officer that I could go over on a bridging visa then collect my defacto by going to NZ and popping back into Brisbane.

My question is - i'm a freelancer designer and am registered as a limited UK company. Could technically go over to Oz before my visa as above and carry on working for the UK company i'm freelancing at - to then be paid into my UK bank account etc without getting in trouble? Would I have to declare my intention to work for a UK company to my case officer?

Surely this would almost be like going on a business trip from the UK and working right? I understand if I freelanced for an Ozzy company things would maybe get tricky but technically i'm literally just in a different location working for the UK still?

Any help would be appreciated...!

Thanks,

G

·
No, you can not get a bridging visa because you did not apply onshore. You could go on a tourist visa but you can not work. It is irrelevant that you would not be working for an Australian company, you can not work in Australia for anyone in any way without a visa that allows work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hey _shel,

Thanks for your reply...

That's strange I wonder why my case officer recommended (when I asked the best way of entering Oz and waiting for Visa - not actually working out there) he said i'd need a bridging Visa?

So, I cannot work for a UK company in any way? What would happen if I did? Can I get into big trouble? Just that i'm on a long term freelance job at the moment and they've said they'd be happy for me to work remotely in Oz if I was to go early...

And what happens to people going on business trips from the UK - are you meant to file for another type of visa?

Cheers,

B

G

·
There are various buisness visas that allow you to work for an employer, attend meetings & conferences in australia etc but non that allow you to work solo. Look on the DIAC.gov.au site for business visas.
You can go and wait it out on a tourist visa but yes you could get in trouble for working as the conditions specifically state no working and does not make any comment on different types of working.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey _shel,

Thanks for clarifying... looks like i'll be waiting it out then :( no point jeopardizing my new life in Oz!

Cheers again,

B

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.