Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the sticky "Default US taxes: Declaring Foreign Financial Assets" but didn't see the answer to my question.

I have a bank account in Luxembourg, where I live. I have never had more than 10,000 USD in the account (or, to be technical, in all of my overseas accounts, since this is the only one). I have never previously mentioned the account to the IRS as it fell below the reporting threshold.

This year's Sched B, however, has a slight change. The form itself asks "At any time during 2011, did you have a financial interest in or signature authority over a financial account (such as a bank account, securities account, or brokerage account) located in a foreign country? See instructions)." The instructions no longer mention the 10,000 USD reporting threshold,

Do I have to report the account? If not, where in the instructions/tax law does it indicate that the 10,000 reporting threshold is still in place?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.