Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

Oh how lovely and extremely convoluted it seems to be doing taxes here in Spain. I think I know the answer(but it's worded so terribly) I have my doubts.

en este caso, la suma de las cantidades percibidas del segundo y siguientes no podrá superar los 1.500 euros, es decir, la práctica totalidad de los pluriempleados deberá cumplir con la AEAT. Si se supera esa cifra los ingresos totales por el rendimiento de trabajo deberán ser inferiores a los 11.200 euros. Por ejemplo, una persona que haya cambiado de empresa a mitad de año pero que no supere la renta de 22.000 euros estará casi con total seguridad obligada a declarar si ha cobrado más de 1.500 euros de la segunda empresa y ha percibido más de 11.200 euros en todo el ejercicio. En este punto, conviene aclarar que los pagos de la Seguridad Social (como por ejemplo la prestación por desempleo) tienen la consideración fiscal de segundo pagador a efetos fiscales, con todo lo que esto implica.
So if I understand correctly in simple terms if I made less than 22,000 last year, and my other jobs either 1)don't surpass 1.500 indivually and 2)don't surpass 11.200 combined I'm in the clear?

I made roughly 5,000 in one job, and in the other two 530 + 386 which is about 920 so I don't have to declare? I hope. :)

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
Hello there,

Oh how lovely and extremely convoluted it seems to be doing taxes here in Spain. I think I know the answer(but it's worded so terribly) I have my doubts.

So if I understand correctly in simple terms if I made less than 22,000 last year, and my other jobs either 1)don't surpass 1.500 indivually and 2)don't surpass 11.200 combined I'm in the clear?

I made roughly 5,000 in one job, and in the other two 530 + 386 which is about 920 so I don't have to declare? I hope. :)
Did you know you can go to your local tax office and they will fill in your tax form with you?
If I didn't have an OH who knows his way around taxes I'd be down there in a flash.
As it is I'm waiting for my tax rebate to be paid into my account :)
Or maybe they're going to ask me to re present papers like they did last year:mad:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you know you can go to your local tax office and they will fill in your tax form with you?
If I didn't have an OH who knows his way around taxes I'd be down there in a flash.
As it is I'm waiting for my tax rebate to be paid into my account :)
Or maybe they're going to ask me to re present papers like they did last year:mad:
Yes, I was hoping I didn't have to waste a day but I made a cita previa.... it was all booked up until June 4th.. at least they have afternoons available which shocked me lol

Better to be safe than sorry I guess, but I've heard people going to Agencia Tributaria and still getting screwed by Hacienda lol

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
Yes, I was hoping I didn't have to waste a day but I made a cita previa.... it was all booked up until June 4th.. at least they have afternoons available which shocked me lol

Better to be safe than sorry I guess, but I've heard people going to Agencia Tributaria and still getting screwed by Hacienda lol
Screwed in what way? They had to pay tax on something they thought they could get away with??
Yes, you're right about it taking up your time, but if you've got an appointemnt you shouldn't have to wait around too long. I think I may just be lucky, but my local office has changed a lot over the years and is quite well run now.
Oh I've just remembered, it's moved to another town, Hope it's still running as well as it was by the time I next visit!

·
Banned
1,002 Posts
I used to do my own tax return. Then I discovered the banks will do it free, so I used my bank for a couple of years. I also did a couple pf returns at the tax ofice, but even they got the return wrong !

Now I use a gestor. She charges 50 euros and probably will make ‘less mistakes’ than the bank, Hacienda or me. It is close by and I can get an appointment within a couple of days.

As Pesky says, having to pay some tax is not being screwed.

·
Registered
15,613 Posts
We use a gestor too, and he only charges €20. Basically we hand over all the paperwork and he goes to Hacienda on our behalf. The first year, we came out in credit because he arranged a refund of the tax on our savings interest.

This year will be a bit more complicated because I'm now getting a UK state pension which I guess will be taxed here. Does anyone know what papers are needed? Or do I just total up the amount received in 2014?

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
We use a gestor too, and he only charges €20. Basically we hand over all the paperwork and he goes to Hacienda on our behalf. The first year, we came out in credit because he arranged a refund of the tax on our savings interest.

This year will be a bit more complicated because I'm now getting a UK state pension which I guess will be taxed here. Does anyone know what papers are needed? Or do I just total up the amount received in 2014?
I put all ours into a spreadsheet and hand it to the gestor!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hello there,

It's less than 22,000 if you only had one employer. If you had two or more, and these combined (not individually) add up to more than 1,500 you have to declare and in this case, the limit is 11,200. In any case, you total amount is less, so you don't have to declare, but you may be entitled to a rebate in which case it's worth doing the draft and then you can decide whether or not to present it

·
Banned
1,002 Posts

I too have an OAP credited by DWP 4 weekly to my Spanish bank. I add up those payment (so the rate on that day) and submit that as a total to my Gestor. I then show other income, bank interest etc which I have received in pounds and convert it at the rate for that year. I use the rate as at midnight on 31st Dec but others say you can also use the average rate over that year.

Apart from your NIE you do not need (I never have) any other paperwork. The Return is signed by you and is your self assessment.

In my case, we also have to pay 'imputed tax' as we own a property in Philippines which is occupied by wife's family.. That of course applies to property in any country, it must be declared.

·
Banned
1,002 Posts
PS I was not ermitted to edoit my post, so:-

The last sentence should have read:-

In my case, we also have to pay 'imputed tax' as we own a property in Philippines which is occupied, rent free, by wife's family. That tax of course applies residents with property in any country; it must be declared.

For that tax we use 50% of the purchase price (as cadastral valor does not exist)
x 1.1% x 24.75 % = tax due

·
Registered
231 Posts

We had our cita previa at the Tax Office yesterday, and for the first time had to declare an OAP Pension. I just listed, handwritten, the 4 weekly amount received into the Spanish Bank in euros, with a total amount, which the Tax Office accepted. Apart from the amount of tax we have to pay, a simple and easy process.

·
Registered
8,167 Posts
In the 27 years I have been in Spain, declaring the OAP has always been a requirement for a tax resident.
Has it not crossed your mind that they may have only started to receive an OAP in 2014 and that is why it had to be declared for the first time? My OH is in exactly that position and we too have arranged a cita previa online to go to Hacienda to make the declaration.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
It's less than 22,000 if you only had one employer. If you had two or more, and these combined (not individually) add up to more than 1,500 you have to declare and in this case, the limit is 11,200. In any case, you total amount is less, so you don't have to declare, but you may be entitled to a rebate in which case it's worth doing the draft and then you can decide whether or not to present it
Anyone eligible for the double taxation treaty is not able to use the 22k limit either, which means all early non working retirees and state pensioners

·
Banned
1,002 Posts
Has it not crossed your mind that they may have only started to receive an OAP in 2014 and that is why it had to be declared for the first time? My OH is in exactly that position and we too have arranged a cita previa online to go to Hacienda to make the declaration.
To me it was ambiguous, thus to avoid any misunderstanding by others who may be interested I made my post. Sorry if that offended you Lynn

·
Registered
67 Posts
Anyone eligible for the double taxation treaty is not able to use the 22k limit either, which means all early non working retirees and state pensioners[/QUOTE

If you actually want to make a claim for double taxation then clearly you have to make a return. Just being eligible is not strictly correct. Sorry if I'm being pedantic about the word eligible. :)

To be precise, it is important to remember that the 22k limit requires that the income has already been taxed at source.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hello there,

I made roughly 5,000 in one job, and in the other two 530 + 386 which is about 920 so I don't have to declare? I hope.

Thanks I figured as much and yes I should get 120 euros back if the borrador is correct. Do I have to file though if this is my first year in spain as a resident? I am a citizen of spain but I've lived and worked all my life in the US up until last year

·
Registered
15,613 Posts
OK, silly question - if your pension is taxed in the UK, do you have to mention it in the IRPF declaration? Similarly with tax retained on interest from UK accounts?

·
Registered
8,167 Posts
OK, silly question - if your pension is taxed in the UK, do you have to mention it in the IRPF declaration? Similarly with tax retained on interest from UK accounts?
I think the answer is yes, and yes. All pensions other than Crown pensions must be declared as taxable income in Spain, and any tax already paid on them in the UK also shown on the return which is offset against the amount of Spanish tax due. I had thought that Crown pensions which are only taxable in the UK had to be declared on this year's tax returns, but more recently have seen articles which say that they must be declared in 2016 as the new DT treaty only became law on 1 January 2015 so it relates to income received in 2015 (including an article in this week's press by David Searl). So for the 2015 Renta declarations to be made in 2016, Crown pensions must be declared in a separate category for "rentas exentas".

1 - 20 of 44 Posts