Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 8 years of experience in Enterprise Content Management, Document Management and Business Process Management as Developer, Technical Lead and Subject Matter Expert. I am Bachelor of Technology in Electronics and Communication Engineering. Out of 8 years, 3 years I have worked in Edinburgh, UK. Now I have received a job offer from an Australian employer and hold a 457 work permit visa with their sponsorship. I am travelling to Sydney soon. I have changed 3 companies (All are IT companies).

My spouse have 4.9 years experience in Business Intelligence, .Net, C#, SQL server, SSIS and SSRS as Developer and Senior Developer. She is Bachelor of Technology in Computer Science and Engineering. She has joined an IT Major in Jan 2013 and she is still working in the same company. She has her Cousin (Fathers Sisters Son) and family who are Permanent Residents of Australia and living in Brisbane. Her cousin is working as a Nurse there. Please find her resume attached as well.

Could you please let us know below details.

1) Considering that I have my degree in Electronics and working in IT, but my wife has her degree in Computer science and working in the same field and she will be 5 years experienced by January 2018. Who would be more suitable to apply as primary applicant ?

2) Considering that my Spouse Cousin is PR there, which subclass visa is suitable for us to apply, is it skilled independent or skilled relative sponsor ?

3) We both have IELTS which is valid till October 2018 and our scores are L-8,R-7,S-6.5,W-6.5 and for my spouse L-7.5, R-7.5, S-7, W-6.5. If we do the skill assessment now, can we be there in the pool soon and later we can try improving the English score by writing PTE ?

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have 8 years of experience in Enterprise Content Management, Document Management and Business Process Management as Developer, Technical Lead and Subject Matter Expert. I am Bachelor of Technology in Electronics and Communication Engineering. Out of 8 years, 3 years I have worked in Edinburgh, UK. Now I have received a job offer from an Australian employer and hold a 457 work permit visa with their sponsorship. I am travelling to Sydney soon. I have changed 3 companies (All are IT companies).

My spouse have 4.9 years experience in Business Intelligence, .Net, C#, SQL server, SSIS and SSRS as Developer and Senior Developer. She is Bachelor of Technology in Computer Science and Engineering. She has joined an IT Major in Jan 2013 and she is still working in the same company. She has her Cousin (Fathers Sisters Son) and family who are Permanent Residents of Australia and living in Brisbane. Her cousin is working as a Nurse there. Please find her resume attached as well.

1) Considering that I have my degree in Electronics and working in IT, but my wife has her degree in Computer science and working in the same field and she will be 5 years experienced by January 2018. Who would be more suitable to apply as primary applicant ?

2) Considering that my Spouse Cousin is PR there, which subclass visa is suitable for us to apply, is it skilled independent or skilled relative sponsor ?

3) We both have IELTS which is valid till October 2018 and our scores are L-8,R-7,S-6.5,W-6.5 and for my spouse L-7.5, R-7.5, S-7, W-6.5. If we do the skill assessment now, can we be there in the pool soon and later we can try improving the English score by writing PTE ?
1.) Makes sense as your assessment from ACS will take 4 years of experience while hers will take 2 years leaving 3 years .i.e 5 points for experience.
She can be a primary applicant
2.) No. I think relatives should come under family unit, cousin might not be able to sponsor but her own sibling would be able to
3.) Yes possible.

You can also get 5 points for spouse irrespective of whether you or her being the primary applicant, provided both your occupation code come under the same list

189 or 190 will be most suitable for you.

I might have posted spouse points requirements somewhere in this forum, kindly search

·
Registered
205 Posts

·
Registered
5,854 Posts

1) Considering ACS will take away 4 years from your profile while only 2 from your wife's; see who among you two will end up with more overall (total) points and decide accordingly.

2) Her cousin may be eligible to sponsor your 489 if they have been living here for 2+ years, but:
- 489 is not a PR, and
- you will have to first find out if they are eligible: Designated Areas of Australia

@Anamica23: First cousins are eligible to sponsor: Sponsor invited pathway

3) Yes, you can apply as soon as you become eligible (i.e. after your ACS), but once you update your total points (with help of, say, new English test results), you move to a different pool and your position in that pool/ queue (i.e. DOE) counts from this moment that you updated the EOI (and not your original date of EOI submission).

·
Registered
458 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You all for your valuable information. Could you please answer below queries as well.

1) We were calculating the score required for 489 visa with our current score in English and it was as below

-> Points for Age - 30
-> Points for English - 0 (Have score which meet eligibility, but no points)
-> Points for Employment in India - 5 (Calculated minimum points as I have 8 years experience in IT, but my graduation is in Electronics and Communication.I may be able to prove that I studied many subjects related to my occupation by providing the syllabus)
-> Points for Education - 15
-> Points for Partner skill - 5
-> Points for relative sponsor - 10

-----> TOTAL Points - 65

With this point, will we be able to apply for 489 visa ? or do I require 70 points ?

2) Our aim is to get PR in two years, will we be able to get PR in that timeline if we currently apply for 489 visa ?

3) As I will be working in Sydney in 457 work permit visa, will I be able to apply for 489 for Brisbane while holding 457 ?

4) One consultant is saying that I can apply 489 visa for Brisbane (non metropolitan), with the help of my relative there and then after recieving the visa, I can avoid staying in Brisbane by showing my Job in Sydney and can get the visa location transferred to Sydney. Is it possible ?

4) If at all I get 489 via relative in Brisbane and if I continue working in Sydney with the 457 I hold, will I be able to apply for PR with 489 after two years though I would be living in Sydney ?

5) While holding the 457 work permit and working in Sydney, if I obtain 489 visa for Brisbane, will it affect my work permit in any way? Basically I need to be safe from trying anything which could affect my job.

6) After 2 years of holding 489, will I be able to apply only for specific PR visa (Skilled regional visa 887), or will I be able to apply for general PR Visa which will enable me to work any where ? I need to ensure that I am eligible to work in Sydney to keep my job as mentioned above.

Kind Regards,
Subin

·
Registered
205 Posts
Thank You all for your valuable information. Could you please answer below queries as well.

1) We were calculating the score required for 489 visa with our current score in English and it was as below

-> Points for Age - 30
-> Points for English - 0 (Have score which meet eligibility, but no points)
-> Points for Employment in India - 5 (Calculated minimum points as I have 8 years experience in IT, but my graduation is in Electronics and Communication.I may be able to prove that I studied many subjects related to my occupation by providing the syllabus)
-> Points for Education - 15
-> Points for Partner skill - 5
-> Points for relative sponsor - 10

-----> TOTAL Points - 65

With this point, will we be able to apply for 489 visa ? or do I require 70 points ?

2) Our aim is to get PR in two years, will we be able to get PR in that timeline if we currently apply for 489 visa ?

3) As I will be working in Sydney in 457 work permit visa, will I be able to apply for 489 for Brisbane while holding 457 ?

4) One consultant is saying that I can apply 489 visa for Brisbane (non metropolitan), with the help of my relative there and then after recieving the visa, I can avoid staying in Brisbane by showing my Job in Sydney and can get the visa location transferred to Sydney. Is it possible ?

4) If at all I get 489 via relative in Brisbane and if I continue working in Sydney with the 457 I hold, will I be able to apply for PR with 489 after two years though I would be living in Sydney ?

5) While holding the 457 work permit and working in Sydney, if I obtain 489 visa for Brisbane, will it affect my work permit in any way? Basically I need to be safe from trying anything which could affect my job.

6) After 2 years of holding 489, will I be able to apply only for specific PR visa (Skilled regional visa 887), or will I be able to apply for general PR Visa which will enable me to work any where ? I need to ensure that I am eligible to work in Sydney to keep my job as mentioned above.

Kind Regards,
Subin
3) Yes you can. But once you receive 489, it'll cancel your 457 visa.
4) Sydney is not in designated area. Also, I don't think you can easily get out of that visa condition just by showing you have a job in sydney.
5) Your 457 will be cancelled immediately and your 489 will have a condition not to live and work in a non-designated area. Sydney is a non-designated area so it could be a problem.
6) You can apply for independent 189 visa while holding 489 but why would you do that? 887 is also PR visa and it costs just 300-400 dollars while for 189 you'll have to wait for invitation and pay 3500+ in visa fees.
Considering your situation, I don't think 489 is a wise choice for you guys. I'd recommend you to increase your English points and go for 189.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
3) Yes you can. But once you receive 489, it'll cancel your 457 visa.
4) Sydney is not in designated area. Also, I don't think you can easily get out of that visa condition just by showing you have a job in sydney.
5) Your 457 will be cancelled immediately and your 489 will have a condition not to live and work in a non-designated area. Sydney is a non-designated area so it could be a problem.
6) You can apply for independent 189 visa while holding 489 but why would you do that? 887 is also PR visa and it costs just 300-400 dollars while for 189 you'll have to wait for invitation and pay 3500+ in visa fees.
Considering your situation, I don't think 489 is a wise choice for you guys. I'd recommend you to increase your English points and go for 189.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Thank you very much for the details provided Ujaved. This will help us in taking decision.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts