Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dear all

I would like to ask for an advice. I will be applying for a Partner visa onshore in November and I'm not sure if I have an outstanding debt to the Australian Government. A year ago, I was offered a General Practitioner job in Australia and the employer referred me to an Australian migration agent to make it easier for me to apply for my working visa. So I went through the process with the migration agent but unfortunately, I wasn't able to get the job because I wasn't granted registration by the medical board in Australia. So to cut it short, I got a letter from the migration agent asking me to pay $900 as fee for her initial services which I wasn't able to pay because I didn't get the job. I informed her of my situation thru email (that i didn't get registered and therefore, couldn't proceed with the visa application). She replied once to confirm she got the email and never contacted me again after that.

My question is : Do i have a debt to the Australian Government for not paying the migration agent's services? She works for a private company in Australia but she is registered with MARA. Although my prospective employer during that time was the one who suggested the use of the migration agent, he didn't tell me that he would shoulder the service fees but didn't tell me either that I needed to pay for it.

pls help.

thank you in advance.

cheers!

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
No, you do not have a debt to the AU government. You do have a debt to the Migration agent, but that is a private debt and not an AU government debt.

Au government debts would be for things like:
1. Centrelink benefits given to you that must be paid back
2. Medical benefits given to you that need to be paid back
3. Debt owed to any AU government agency

dear all

i would like to ask for an advice. i will be applying for a partner visa onshore in november and i'm not sure if i have an outstanding debt to the australian government. a year ago, i was offered a job in australia and the employer referred me to an australian migration agent to make it easier for me to apply for my working visa. so i went through the process with the migration agent but unfortunately, i wasn't able to do get the job because i wasn't granted registration by the medical board in australia (yes, i am a doctor). so to cut it short, i got a letter from the migration agent asking me to pay $900 as fee for her initial services which i wasn't able to pay because i didn't get the job. i informed her of my situation thru email (that i didn't get registered and therefore, couldn't proceed with the visa application). she replied once to confirm she got the email and never contacted me again after that.

my question is : do i have a debt to the australian government then for not paying the migration agent's services? she works for a private company in australia but she is registered with MARA.

thank you in advance.

cheers!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi amaslam. thanks for the reply. you've been a great help. cheers!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts