Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been in Australia for nearly six months and I love it. I do get homesick for my friends and family back home in the U.S. though. I have found it hard to make friends here quickly. It might be my own fault for not opening up enough. My partner works a lot and I am currently temping part time. If you are looking for quick work I suggest sending your resume to all of the temp agencies in your area - it may not be ideal work but it is money.

I hope to meet more people and build lasting relationships in time but for now I stay in constant contact with friends back home and I also started writing a blog.

Having a creative outlet and staying busy has done wonders for keeping me distracted.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
hey BT,

welcome to the forum. wow, thats some screen name :D
you did not say what city are you at? and what do u when u say u work part time? how r things rolling in AU otherwise :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm in Adelaide and I work four days a week but I'm seeking perm work. Things are alright but I feel dependent on my partner a lot of times.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
:) great. this is actually the best place to meet people. I have met so many here, three of them are my best friends now :) and we keep discussing how it would be like to sit with a glass of wine and gossip like women do in australia. :) while making the men work..

·
Registered
619 Posts
I hope to meet more people and build lasting relationships in time but for now I stay in constant contact with friends back home and I also started writing a blog.
Writing a blog is a great idea. I plan on doing that once I make the move to keep family and friends updated on life down under. Blog about all the exciting things you are doing, and it might also start to attract local people in Adelaide who share their experiences too.

If your having trouble meeting people, you could start doing volunteer work in your free time. or join a book club, or get a dog and start going to dog parks. I find Australians to be the friendliest bunch of people alive, and don't anticipate any problems finding new friends once we are there.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
here in India, if we want to make friends or to get to know our neighbors we simply dish out something and take a bowl full to their place, stand at the door, chit chat a bit and bingo, done :). they then come back with a bowl of whatever later (its a tradition not to return an empty bowl) and thats the beginning :). try it sometime, it works wonders

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I want to drink wine and gossip! Ha. I have met a girl from Canada on a flight here and she is now in Adelaide. We have opposite schedules though so it is hard to catch up. So there is her and a few workmates but I find myself longing for my friends at home. It is nice to know that you have made good friends here, keeps hope alive for me...haha. :)

·
Registered
619 Posts
here in India, if we want to make friends or to get to know our neighbors we simply dish out something and take a bowl full to their place, stand at the door, chit chat a bit and bingo, done :). they then come back with a bowl of whatever later (its a tradition not to return an empty bowl) and thats the beginning :). try it sometime, it works wonders
Try that here in the US and they will call the police for stalking... hahah

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
hahaha yeah mat, i know how different things are here and there. trust me, i hv never done that.. my dad loves cooking and feeding people, i think cos when ppl eat what he makes, they are all praises :)

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
ok BT, will include u in the list of those I invite over for a gossip session haha

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Haha. I'm not sure if many of my neighbors speak English but that is a good idea. There is an Indian couple a few apartments away and their cooking always smells so good! I wonder if I took an empty bowl to their apartment if they would let me eat? Craving Indian now.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
yeah facebook is an addiction, i got cousins in spain and we are talking to each other more thn we used to when they were here. we share photos and look fwd to wisecracks from each other :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know! I'm addicted to Facebook. I think I sounded like a bit of a Debbie Downer earlier, just lonely at times. I should have joined this forum far earlier.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
hehehehe mat yes men are welcome too but u got to gossip like women do (i wonder how is it done.. is there a book of rules?)

Aah Indian cooking, BT rest assured, lemme come there, i will make some nice curries.. is that inviting enough? and trust me, if u got indian neighbors, they wud love u over, they always make more thn they can eat, have a heart of gold (no offense to non indians) and praise a bit and they will be more thn glad to fill your bowls every now and then hehehe

·
Registered
619 Posts
hehehehe mat yes men are welcome too but u got to gossip like women do (i wonder how is it done.. is there a book of rules?)

Aah Indian cooking, BT rest assured, lemme come there, i will make some nice curries.. is that inviting enough? and trust me, if u got indian neighbors, they wud love u over, they always make more thn they can eat, have a heart of gold (no offense to non indians) and praise a bit and they will be more thn glad to fill your bowls every now and then hehehe
Now I know where to go for food once i'm in Canberra :)

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
shoot.. did i just say u r welcome? hehehehehe
can u manage the indian spices? incase u can, most welcome.. my husband is only indian food person, i guess u too have to make space for me, and thanks to my banding i eat like a baby.. :) I promise just the left overs are enough for me

·
Administrator
51,623 Posts
I know! I'm addicted to Facebook. I think I sounded like a bit of a Debbie Downer earlier, just lonely at times. I should have joined this forum far earlier.
As you can see, I'm no where near Oz, but I do have lots of experience with the expat blues. They do seem to come and go in about 3 month cycles at first - then the cycles lengthen out to about 6 months between the ups and downs.

Find a club of any sort to join. Normally I'd recommend an expat club, but I don't find any of the ones I know in the Canberra area. There may be some, though, just ask around. Or look for any kind of "newcomers" club. Failing that, see if the local library or hospital takes volunteers or if the local town or schools offer exercise or other classes. (If you wind up finding a job, you can always back out.) Getting involved in just about anything is the best way to find a group of mates for the odd lunch or cocktail out. And you will have passed your first big milestone when you find that every time you go out shopping, you seem to run into someone you know. (I can tell you from experience how good that feels!)

Take a look, too, at the website for the US Embassy in Canberra - they often post lists of local associations that might be of interest and can get you a toe hold in the local social scene.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 20 of 28 Posts