Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here we go again:

My wife and I have been renters in a maison meublee' for 2 1/2 years. The lease will expire next year.

It is a charming rural property, but the appliances, systems, etc. are in various states of decrepitude. All seem to be dying. The latest is the refrigerator in the kitchen. In the middle of July, no less.

We have naturally contacted the owner. While she has promised action, I have a feeling this may drag on as our food spoils. (OK, we have many good neighbors who will pitch in, but so what?).

When things like this have happened in the past, e.g.. dishwasher that died on Xmas eve, we notified the bailleur that we had to act quickly, which we did (purchase of replacement at Conforama). We then deducted the 500E or so from the next month's rent, and while the owner griped, what was she going to do?

We have taken a similar approach with the fridge. We spent several hours today canvassing appliance stores in the area to find the cheapest unit of like size and kind. Because the unit is semi-built-in, dimensions are obviously critical, which we paid close attention to.

I know we can seek judicial redress, but under the circumstances, that really doesn't strike me as a practical approach. I might add that the owner lives in Milan.

So my question is whether any of you expat lifers thinks that our buying a replacement fridge by week's end (if the owner remains unresponsive) and deducting its cost from our August rent will be a net stupid move.

I know it will be problematic. The question is whether it will be stupid in your view.

Thanks as always.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Personally, I think you are acting in an entirely reasonable manner. No-one could possibly expect you to live without a fridge, and, as you say, certainly not during the summer months. You rented the house furnished with appliances that worked (just!) and so by buying a suitable fridge, you are restoring the house's facilities back up to the initial standard.
My only caveat to you would be to try and obtain a written statement from a friendly electrician to the effect that the fridge is kaput - or store the unserviceable fridge somewhere (as evidence) if you have the storage space.
Good luck!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I would also call the owner asking how/when he will take an action and tell him that you need this fixed within few days, if not you will buy one and deduct.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick feedback. Moral and intellectual support for one's position is always such a comfort. Good to know we're all on the same page. We'll act accordingly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts