Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, wondering if anyone has experience of applying for the de facto visa themselves instead of using an agent. I have looked at the DCIA website and it seems straightforward enough. I am an Australian citizen and have one child from a previous relationship and a baby with my current partner. We feel that we can provide enough evidence to prove a de facto relationship so just wondering what the experience doing it on your own is like. We had thought about using an agent and then decided there is too much money to be saved by doing it ourselves. Any info much appreciated. Also we intend to go to perth and been looking at rockingham area so any info on that would be great to. I grew up in Melbourne but not really feeling the weather there and feel perth is a better option. I am a beauty therapist and my OH is a personal trainer

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi,

We did our own.
I got the check list and then we paper chased everything requested, it's hardwork.
We don't have any results now, but been married for over 7 years, 3 kids, so we didn't think we have anything to worry about.
It's just a waiting game.

Just to wish you good luck.

Best wishes,
Busyte

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

We did our own.
I got the check list and then we paper chased everything requested, it's hardwork.
We don't have any results now, but been married for over 7 years, 3 kids, so we didn't think we have anything to worry about.
It's just a waiting game.

Just to wish you good luck.

Best wishes,
Busyte
Just wondering when you submitted all your info to the department? I've been told it takes around 4 months. Do you know if thats right?.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, we did it ourselves, the booklet is pretty extensive and it's just about proving a genuine relationship. It took a while to compile all the info they wanted but it's straight forward. We are waiting still for a case officer to be assigned and submitted in Melbourne on the 16th August.............it's a long wait. 4 months sounds about right based on our experience so far. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts