Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

My situation is a little bit confusing, and I should go to a proper advisor, but wanted to see if any of you would know the answer to this question...

My boyfriend is British and I'm Canadian. We have been dating for two years, but not lived together for cultural reasons. But in order to get this De Facto visa, we're willing to try cohabiting.

Is it possible to get the visa if we lived in a different country? e.g. Germany, Canada, etc? NOT the UK? on Gov.co.uk, it did say one needs to live in the uk for two or more years.

Did anyone ahve a different experience?

Also, this is from the governement website

- Eligibility
You need to have been living in the UK with a ‘partner of a settled person’ visa for:

2 years if you applied for your visa before 9 July 2012
5 years or 10 years if you applied for your visa on or after 9 July 2012
Read the guidance for the 2-year route and the 5- and 10-year routes.​

Can anyone explain to me what this is? So if I made this application in 2012, the requirement would be 2 years, but now it's 5 or 10 years?

Thank you guys so much in advance!!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
What you quoted refers to indefinite leave to remain (permanent residence). Partners and spouses that were on a family of a settled person visas (spouse/unmarried partner) before July 2012 only have to wait 2 years to apply for ILR. Anyone who comes on a visa afterwards must wait either 5 or 10 years. Hence the requirement to live in the UK together - ILR is intent to stay permanently.

You would need to look that the requirements for an unmarried partner visa, which requires you to live together for 2 years. It doesn't matter what country, but you will need to have evidence to prove you have lived together.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.