Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Date of application: 27th November 2009

Nationality: Canadian

Visa type: Partner (de facto) Visa Temporary and Permanent (Subclasses 309 and 100)

Offshore/onshore: Offshore

Medicals submitted (yes/no): No

Police check submitted (yes/no): Yes (AFP check sent 06/01/10)

Date CO assigned: 7th December 2009

Date visa granted: ?
This is my partner's time line so far...as we hadn't heard anything from his CO we decided it was time to call for an update today. The response we got from our CO was that because we had applied as a de facto couple, we were subject to a two month waiting period, but now that was up she would move our application into her "urgent" pile and get back to us within the next two business days to let us know if we needed to provide more evidence or if we could go ahead with the medical.

Not sure if we get to go in the urgent pile because we phoned or my partner made a point of saying my visa is up next month and I will have to head back to Aus.

Has anyone else ever heard of this??? I know a lot of people wait longer than 2 months, but it hardly seems fair to be discriminated against and made to wait longer just because we're not married. We've been together nearly 3 years now, and a de facto couple for 20 months at this point so its not like we only just meet the 12 month criteria.

Anyway thought I would pass along the heads up - especially for anyone else applying to the Canadian office here in Ottawa. We cut it tight for our application because it took so long to get our stat declarations back from Australian friends, if we had known this earlier we would have made sure we started the process a lot earlier to avoid this last minute fretting.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Quick update - we called the CO at 9am this morning, we had an email by midday requesting the medical to be done.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Ah, well you're almost there then if medicals have been requested.

Have to say I've not heard of a 2 month 'waiting' period. I know there is a 2 year waiting period when applied for a temp partner visa and maintaining the relationship for 2 years until applying for a permanent visa.

Hopefully someone can enlighten.

Anyhoo, you're so close now.....good luck!!!

Dolly

1 - 3 of 3 Posts