Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a general question. If you were arrested in your home country and then relocate to the UK and you do a DBS check will your arrest record show up?

I was arrested in Canada and I received an absolute discharge. I am relocating to the UK to work with children, so I am wondering if my Canadian arrest will impact on my job once I am in the UK. My arrest was assault and was not against children or vulnerable people

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
No, it won't show on UK DBS check, but if you have been in UK for less than 5 years, you will be asked to get criminal record check done in Canada, something like the equivalent of FBI rap sheet. So it's possible that your arrest record will show up and you need to disclose it. What your potential employer will do with your disclosure is up to them. You may be asked for further details and your understanding of the record and its circumstances.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In Canada an absolute discharge does not show up on a criminal record check after a year unless the local police believe that the arrest and charge should be disclosed depending on the situation such as rape or sexual abuse. I currently have a criminal record check that does not show anything. I know I will have to declare it when I apply for a visa.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you mean, I should not declare my arrest on my visa application? My employer already has a copy of my record check but I will be doing my visa application soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.