Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I would be appreciated if you advise how can I obtain a DBS (standard / enhanced) check by myself and how much each DBS type cost?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
You can't do it yourself. You have to get it done through a registered organisation. Why do you need DBS check?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Joppa. Actually, my employer asked if I have one. I'm going to work for an interpretation agency.

They said that they could do it for me for £62 while when I asked some friends they told me it cost only £25 but I don't know how to do it. £25 is a reasonable cost, but not £62 :(

Any other choicee plz?! I need your advice.

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
As I said, you can't initiate the checks yourself. You have no choice but to get them done through your prospective employer, unless you are in voluntary work or something and you can get it done through them.
It's up to the registered organisation to set their own charge, though the cost to them is £26 for standard and £44 for enhanced. It's free for volunteers.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Can't believe your firm wants to charge you. I work for schools and have had 3 enhanced DBS checks done through three schools. I was never asked to pay.

But Joppa was right. It has to be done through an organisation. Sorry about your situation.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I want to ask something:
How about the validity of DBS check till the next renewal?? A year? Two .. Five.. How long??!

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
There isn't, but many organisations repeat the exercise every 2-3 years for their affected staff. When you change jobs, chances are your new employer will insist you go through DBS checks afresh.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Once a firm does the DBS check. Do I have the right to ask for a copy of the certificate?
So I can then use it in private use, maybe secondary job or so?

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
You should be sent a copy (but without local police report if any under enhanced). Some organisations may accept it but others insist they do their own.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi you can get your DBS at any employment agency (you dont have to work for them). You will need 3 utility bills, passport and birth cert. It costs between £50 & £70 and takes a couple of days. Wgen you get the hard copy back you must go online within two weeks and register and then you only have to pay once a year a small fee and that way it is up to date by the minute and saves you money. Some employees will only accept a on line DBS. If you are woking in Scotland you will need a PVL.. Hope that helps

·
Registered
98 Posts
Not sure what kind yours is but all my enhanced ones were sent directly to me. Then I take it to my employers for them to file it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
In my case, they performed background checks prior to offer of employment.

Now that it has passed, they offered me a contract.

So I believe it was requested by themselves, hence sent to themselves.

·
Banned
69 Posts
You can get a cheaper one by requesting at your local constabulary under the freedom of information act. Its not called a DBS but it has exactly the same information on it. I paid about £10 for one a couple of years ago then last year had to have an enhanced for my job which cost me £44. Only certain jobs allow your employer to check on spent convictions though,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.