Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I have been now living in Australia for more than 4 years and plan to apply for citizenship.

I was granted permanent resident visa in June 2010. I came to Australia for a holiday in September 2010 on that Permanent resident visa. However it was not migrating.
Then we migrated to Australia in March 2011. Since then I have not stayed in another country for more than 90 consecutive days.

Do you think I need to provide a police clearance certificate for the period of 19th September 2010 to 3rd March 2011 because I came to Australia in September and that activated my PR even though I didn't settle down here.

Your response is highly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
Hi All I have been now living in Australia for more than 4 years and plan to apply for citizenship. I was granted permanent resident visa in June 2010. I came to Australia for a holiday in September 2010 on that Permanent resident visa. However it was not migrating. Then we migrated to Australia in March 2011. Since then I have not stayed in another country for more than 90 consecutive days. Do you think I need to provide a police clearance certificate for the period of 19th September 2010 to 3rd March 2011 because I came to Australia in September and that activated my PR even though I didn't settle down here. Your response is highly appreciated.
You will be asked for a police check from any country you spent more than 90 days in after becoming a PR. You became a PR the day you activated the visa.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. We are planning on an overseas trip in end November. I cannot get the police certificates ready for another 2 weeks. Do you think I have enough time to get the citizenship approved and Australian passport for my overseas trip.

Also I wanted to check whether I could travel with my current passport while the citizenship application is being processed.

Thanks a lot.

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
Thanks for your reply. We are planning on an overseas trip in end November. I cannot get the police certificates ready for another 2 weeks. Do you think I have enough time to get the citizenship approved and Australian passport for my overseas trip. Also I wanted to check whether I could travel with my current passport while the citizenship application is being processed. Thanks a lot.
Depends on when you are able to sit the test and if your council has availability for an upcoming ceremony. You need to advise them of your travel plans as your application cannot be approved if you're overseas.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi guys,

Just my two cents here,

I thought the requirement is that you need Police clearance only if you have stayed outside of Australia more than one year after activating your PR visa. If you have stayed more than one year, then you will need police clearance from any country in which you have spent more than 90 days.

In your case, you have not stayed outside of Australia more than 1 year right? You activated in Sept 2010 and came back in Mar 2011, thus it is only 6 to 7 months.

Thanks

Reactions: ROYRAJU135

·
Registered
99 Posts
Depends on when you are able to sit the test and if your council has availability for an upcoming ceremony. You need to advise them of your travel plans as your application cannot be approved if you're overseas.
Can U help me with a similar query,
I have a PR 190 SA and planning for first entry with my family of five(3 Kids) in Dec 2019 and I am planning to come back to my existing job in Gulf and continue for 4 plus years and go back to Australia permanently between 4th & 5th year and continue to satisfy the stay back requirement of Citizenship.
how it will affect me? Is there any issues for this and any issues during my citizenship application.
Kindly help,,

·
Registered
23,915 Posts
Can U help me with a similar query,
I have a PR 190 SA and planning for first entry with my family of five(3 Kids) in Dec 2019 and I am planning to come back to my existing job in Gulf and continue for 4 plus years and go back to Australia permanently between 4th & 5th year and continue to satisfy the stay back requirement of Citizenship.
how it will affect me? Is there any issues for this and any issues during my citizenship application.
Kindly help,,
Under present rules you will be eligible to become a citizen only after 4 years since you moved permanently to Australia
So 8 years later only

Cheers

·
Registered
99 Posts
Under present rules you will be eligible to become a citizen only after 4 years since you moved permanently to Australia
So 8 years later only

Cheers
thanks for your reply,,
Is it advisable/good to move with some cash of nearly 100000 AUD after 4 years(From the job in Gulf) or by next year itself with 20000 AUD cash. Moving with family of Five(3Kids).. I am a Tradei-Mechanic ,,,

·
Registered
23,915 Posts
thanks for your reply,,
Is it advisable/good to move with some cash of nearly 100000 AUD after 4 years(From the job in Gulf) or by next year itself with 20000 AUD cash. Moving with family of Five(3Kids).. I am a Tradei-Mechanic ,,,

Basically you are saving 20,000 aud per year
You may be able to do that in Australia also, if you keep your expenses in check
Trades do earn good money now a days

Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts