Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
This is all I could find on the subject...
Dangerous dog owners targeted
The Local Police in Fuengirola have taken 114 preventive actions against the owners of potentially dangerous dogs, of which there are 385 registered at the town hall.

The Junta de Andalucia has added Bull terriers, Presa Canarios, Napolitan mastiffs and Boxers to the list.......
But nothing anywhere else so far.....

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would have thought that if it was correct then there would have been more about it in the press. I will be gutted if this is correct as I have 2 young boxers who I have to take out by myself 50% of the time as my husband works abroad.

·
Registered
616 Posts
not necessarily.....laws are very localised as I am sure you're aware - you can go into your town hall 1 week and they will tell you black is white, the following week they'll tell you black is red with polka dots :(

·
Registered
572 Posts
I had an Akita which is on the Grumpy dogs list. I went to my town hall about the test and they never bothered about it.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
We live in Andalucia, but the Granada region. Our local town hall, where you have to report to if your dog may be considered dangerous, is at Alhama de Granada.
This is what happened to us when one of our dogs was reported as dangerous by a neighbour...
http://www.expatforum.com/expats/sp...-spain/105015-dangerous-dog-4.html#post731647

As you will see, it was very much down to the vets decision and we were lucky.

This post, on the same thread, shows how Steve went about getting his dog registered on the Costa Blanca...
http://www.expatforum.com/expats/sp...-spain/105015-dangerous-dog-4.html#post731622

As you can see by Steves post, most people do not bother to register.
However, as you will see by my post, it often depends on your neighbours whether or not you will get away with it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have been through the dangerous dogs scenario. It took us 14 months and at one stage we were told by the Ayuntamiento that we had to do a dangerous dog training course. Only one problem, it doesn't exist. So the Ayunamiento wrote to the government and they replied , saying "It was up to the Mayor". He eventually signed the papers and we were given the certificate. We had to have the psychometric test and previous convictions check. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
We now have two 'dangerous dogs', a Rhodesian Ridgeback and a Cane Corso. The Cane Corso is undersized for the breed and has either no or very small teeth due to maltreatment before we adopted her from our shelter. She does have a lethal suck..
We tried in vain to register our RR as a dangerous dog, the big softie..the police and the authorities had never heard of the breed and our vet said he was beautiful and not dangerous and added jokingly that her Yorkie was a dangerous dog. It is ludicrous to classify our CC as dangerous.
We have registered both dogs, they have passports, target as from the Junta, chips etc. and are not allowed out of the house without a leash. We muzzle our RR as a courtesy to other dog owners or scared- looking pedestrians who foolishly judge a dog's aggression by its size.
We have insurance to the value of 300k € for each.
I'm afraid that will have to do as it's pointless banging your head against a brick wall..although this thread has given me an idea. We are on friendly terms with our Alcalde so may have a chat with him.

·
Registered
15,942 Posts
When we took our cat to the vet earlier this year a guy came in with a wolf. It was nearly full grown and hadn't been trained; it was not a happy animal. The vet had to tranquilise it before he could put a muzzle on it.

He said wolves weren't covered by the dangerous dogs laws because they aren't dogs, and they had become popular as pets after Game of Thrones was on TV. Don't know how true that is but it's pretty shocking, and I've seen several since.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.