Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, it became potentially more dangerous to drive in Arizona, especially Tucson. I have not driven in the last couple of years, due to multiple eye surgeries and resulting impaired vision.....seriously impaired enough to let my wife do all the driving. Since we moved here some months ago, and my old Texas driving license is to expire on my rapidly approaching 78th birthday, I thought it wise to get an Arizona ID, so went to the DMV and filled out an application. They took my picture and sent me for the eye exam, as I had not checked whether I wanted a license or just ID. I took the exam, which is quite rudimentary, and passed it easily. I was surprised, but figured that I might have to drive in an emergency, so why not get the license and be legal. They issued one. So, if you are driving in AZ, please do not honk if the car in front of you does not move when the light turns green. It might be me, still trying to read the street name on the big green sign. Also, beware of older SUVs pulling out in front of you, as tunnel vision can cause that to happen. If you are a policeman and have stopped me, please be patient, as it will take time for me to change glasses and search my wallet and glove compartment for all the documents that you require; probably enough time for a doughnut and coffee...make that two please.
Oh, the danger? There are probably a lot more folks out there driving with even worse eyesight than mine, so I think I will stay home where it is safe.:cool::cool:

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
My mother-in-law is 94 and still driving about in the Loire Valley in France, a dangerous place even to walk much less drive so Arizona is not the only place on the planet where one´s ass is on the line at those traffic signals.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
[...if you are driving in AZ, please do not honk if the car in front of you does not move when the light turns green. It might be me, still trying to read the street name on the big green sign. Also, beware of older SUVs pulling out in front of you, as tunnel vision can cause that to happen. If you are a policeman and have stopped me, please be patient, as it will take time for me to change glasses and search my wallet and glove compartment for all the documents that you require; probably enough time for a doughnut and coffee...make that two please....
A fun post, RV. God, was it fun in the 1950s to make fun of the old farts on the road and their normal proclivities. Now we are they. Can you believe that my mother-in-law at age 94 can still get a renewable French driver´s license and believe me, rules to get a driver´s license in France are supposedly very stringent. She couldn´t drive a horse´s ass with a cheap 19th Century wagon attached to the local general store a block away and here she is driving blind all about Tours and environs. Staying at home and petting the dawg while admiring the birdsongs is a fine option for those wishing to see another day.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts