Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 588 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not a survivalist, just trying to live a normal life in Mexico not because I came here because it is cheap but because I am stuck with a wonderful Mexican woman.

So don´t tell me about your pennyante differences.
Electricity: 1000 pesos every two months, subsidized by Mexico (Until the kids moved 2500)
Phone: 1500 pesos (should be 1000 pesos for full internet and freeby calls most anywhere. (I pay more because I am a hog)
Water: 50 p plus sewage + 14 pesos per each jug of drinking water = 210 pesos
Garbage: 35 pesos
Gas: about 250 pesos per month
Cable: 285 pesos

So my monthly nut before housing is app. 2300 pesos

Add housing - last time renting I paid 2500

Except for housing I can live anywhere for the same cost

My daily food costs are cheaper here, not because food is particularly cheaper, but because there are less goodies available. Let's say 5000 pesos for two. (Yes, I like to eat well)

My entertainment budget is about 1500 pesos per month. Obviously I don´t party much.

My damn cigarettes are now costing me more than my maid's wages.
But if I were a regular drinker and could tolerate aguardiente, I would save a little money.

My car expenses are roughly 2500 pesos per month (including liability only insurance. And that is about 300 miles per week in a huge SUV.

My burn down the house or pay some jerk for a slip and fall claim is NIL.
(literally no insurance available in my part of town)

So let's say I need 14500 pesos - that's a little more than what social security pays usual retirees, and what Mexico thinks you should receive monthly for the old FM3 visa.

Now for the goodies:

I enjoy a maid and a gardener that I could not afford in the US, but now I enjoy making impoverished people feel rich: 5000 pesos per month.

And I like to go places where more food and entertainment is available. 5000 pesos per month.

Now I am on the level that Mexico thinks I should receive monthly for an FM2 visa.
Obviously they want no cheapskates.

My high deductible health insurance now is about 1200 pesos per month.

Add it all up - I can live very very comfortably for about 25000 pesos, except for rent/housing. Frankly I could do that anywhere if I did not have a mortgage or kids.

I realize that there are a lot of people trying to make it on a thousand bucks or less, and yes, it can be done and is being done, if you shave off US wants and enjoy cheap rentals in places you never expected to live in.

But for a normal or let's say average lower middle class ******, except for rent, I really do not see a benefit of moving to Mexico unless you really, really like tortillas and 20 versions of beans.

So let's bring it to a consesus:
How much does one need to
survive in Mexico: ?
live in Mexico: ?
live well in Mexico: ?
I'll skip the live better in Mexico than the US question.

(PLEASE, skip the commercials about other wonderful aspects of Mexico)

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I am not a survivalist, just trying to live a normal life in Mexico not because I came here because it is cheap but because I am stuck with a wonderful Mexican woman..... (PLEASE, skip the commercials about other wonderful aspects of Mexico)
DonGringo - I hope you get a better response than I did just over a year ago. I tried to get this type of info up here and got about 5 responses, after being told it wouldn't work, I was wasting my time.

This is good info - but it will be skewed by the # of people, the area where they live, their personal needs/wants - and yet I'd like to see some more comprehensive results.

Go for it! :clap2:

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
7,025 Posts
I am not a survivalist, just trying to live a normal life in Mexico not because I came here because it is cheap but because I am stuck with a wonderful Mexican woman.
Add it all up - I can live very very comfortably for about 25000 pesos, except for rent/housing. Frankly I could do that anywhere if I did not have a mortgage or kids.

I realize that there are a lot of people trying to make it on a thousand bucks or less, and yes, it can be done and is being done, if you shave off US wants and enjoy cheap rentals in places you never expected to live in.

But for a normal or let's say average lower middle class ******, except for rent, I really do not see a benefit of moving to Mexico unless you really, really like tortillas and 20 versions of beans. ...
Your post just demonstrates a statement I make whenever someone asks how much it costs to live in Mexico. It all depends on your life style.

I am not a survivalist. I have sufficient income to spend as much as you do every month. But I choose to live a lifestyle that I characterize as "living very well in Mexico". And I spend about 10,000 pesos/month including housing.

·
Registered
184 Posts

(PLEASE, skip the commercials about other wonderful aspects of Mexico)[/QUOTE]

Great start to a conversation in my book and well explained. Getting to the basics;
I live in somewhat rural Jalisco, half way between GDL and Melaque in a town of about 50k.
To survive I would need 10,965 pesos a month. This includes gas and auto upkeep for local travel only.
To live comfortably by USA "middle class standards"- 22,000 pesos
To live like a king- 40, 000 pesos

·
Super Moderator
8,964 Posts
I live well in Mexico City on around $12,000 MN a month. I have a very small apartment in a nice (not luxurious) safe centrally-located colonia. I don't have a car and am happy to use public transportation and my feet to get around the city. I don't cook all that much and eat out mostly at little restaurants in my neighborhood. My budget also includes bi-annual premiums for a private health insurance plan.

·
Registered
1 Posts
RPBHaas said:

(PLEASE, skip the commercials about other wonderful aspects of Mexico)
Great start to a conversation in my book and well explained. Getting to the basics;
I live in somewhat rural Jalisco, half way between GDL and Melaque in a town of about 50k.
To survive I would need 10,965 pesos a month. This includes gas and auto upkeep for local travel only.
To live like a king- 40, 000 pesos[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
To live like a king- 40, 000 pesos
[/QUOTE]

How much of that is taken up by housing expenses?

·
Registered
6,714 Posts
That's a really hard question.
You might be happy in a 1BR place with no yard, centrally located, for $5000 pesos/month rent and everything included; or not included. Or spend twice that for a 2BR with gardens & pool.
Alternatively, you might purchase a large home and have done with it, paying maybe $3000 pesos average/month for maid, gardener, taxes, water, electricity, propane, maintenance/repairs, etc.
You could do more, less or anything in between. Then, how much maintenance do you do yourself, as opposed to hiring someone for $300 pesos per day to do it all for you?
Too many choices! Look, decide, choose. We can suggest, but we can't always hold your hand.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
That's a really hard question.
You might be happy in a 1BR place with no yard, centrally located, for $5000 pesos/month rent and everything included; or not included. Or spend twice that for a 2BR with gardens & pool.
Alternatively, you might purchase a large home and have done with it, paying maybe $3000 pesos average/month for maid, gardener, taxes, water, electricity, propane, maintenance/repairs, etc.
You could do more, less or anything in between. Then, how much maintenance do you do yourself, as opposed to hiring someone for $300 pesos per day to do it all for you?
Too many choices! Look, decide, choose. We can suggest, but we can't always hold your hand.
My question was for gty98270 - how it fit in his/her equation. Of course you are correct, but the question wasn't a generalized one.

·
Registered
536 Posts
This is a question that is on everyone's minds when they move to Mexico. A common answer is that it depends on your lifestyle and how you want to live.
Whereas that is very true, I think that the question being asked here, in my honest opinion, is what different people are experiencing themselves and what it costs them for "their" lifestyle.

Some has already answered giving their personal situation which helps potential expats to gauge things based on that answer. They can determine which group they fit in depending on how they want to live.

From the answers so far we have learned that you can live in Mexico City in a comfortable but careful lifestyle without a car for $12,000 (pesos) per month. You can live in Guadalajara, being careful, for around $10,000 pesos. DonGringo can live an expanded lifestyle (and he explains where the pesos go) for around $25,000 pesos plus housing. Another gave a basis breakdown of: 1) Just survive - $11,000; 2) Comfortable - $22,000; and 3) luxurious - $40,000.

Someone could argue as to what luxurious means and for them it might mean $75,000 but that is not the point. The more people comment and include what it means to them, the more forum members can get a better idea of what would be reasonable for them, plus or minus.

So this thread serves a very important function if people will reply with their comments. (And they do not need to give a complete financial breakdown.) I know it is helpful to me and I would be happy to hear more comments about what people personally experience.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm not a survivalist either, but we live simply in a small village outside of Tequisquiapan, QRO. I love to garden and so have seeds and plants growing in every nook and cranny. I’m relatively sure that I am not going to fit into the average as my lifestyle would be considered well below standard by US norms, and better than average by norms of the village we live in. My husband built our house on family land over a period of 15 years, room by room, so no present cost there, other than when we decide to make some improvement. We cook and heat water by propane, average 175 pesos/mo, Water 300 pesos/mo, Electric 150 pesos/mo., Phone/Internet 400 pesos/mo (my luxury). Food/Sundries 2500 pesos/mo . Gas for the truck 400 pesos/mo.

Yup, we eat beans eleven different ways, rice, nopales, veges from our garden as they are harvestable, eggs from our chickens and jalapenos and tortillas with everything.
I’d guess with a buffer for the miscellaneous whatevers, we spend from 4,000-5,000 pesos/mo.

The only thing I'm missing is a library. I'd walk ten miles for more books! Ooh, I did spend $70 this month for the first time, with Better World Books... shipment on it's way!

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
7,025 Posts
I think what bothers me about this thread is the underlying implication that the more money you spend, the better your life. Maybe I am just joining the curmudgeon ranks, but I feel like I live my ideal life on an amount that is being referred to here as "getting by", around $10,000 pesos/month.

I could spend more if I chose to; it would just mean my kids would have a little less when I am gone, but neither I nor the kids are worried about that. And I think my life is better for being unburdened by a car and most the large and small electrical gadgets that we take for granted in the US. I have a stove, refri and computer. Really, what more do you need than those. :)

In the interests of full disclosure, the monthly peso amount does not include international travel. I have a son in the US, a daughter in Germany, and a significant other in the US, and I visit all of them a few times a year for brief periods. Those dollar expenses are above the $10K peso/month figure. But for estimating just the cost to live in Mexico. In my opinion, one person can live very well, not just get by, on 10K mxn/month.

It all depends on your choice of living style, which is why I am always skeptical about the usefulness of the answers when people ask "How much does it cost to live in Mexico?". I suspect this thread, that has gotten into more detail about what you get at various levels of expense, has been more useful to people trying to guess what their expenses will be after a move.

·
Registered
6,714 Posts
Welcome to 'the ranks'. You are a single, and some of us are couples with a few pets, age related expenses for medications, help, transportation, etc. Therein lie many differences in monthly expenses and, sometimes, those differences aren't made evident in the responses. It is like the variance in answers, between men and women, to the question, "How many pair of shoes does a person need?"

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
7,025 Posts
Welcome to 'the ranks'. You are a single, and some of us are couples with a few pets, age related expenses for medications, help, transportation, etc. Therein lie many differences in monthly expenses and, sometimes, those differences aren't made evident in the responses. It is like the variance in answers, between men and women, to the question, "How many pair of shoes does a person need?"
I agree. There are factors other than choice involved so I probably should have just said "It all depends on your lifestyle" rather than "choice of lifestyle". Although, having pets is a choice. Hopefully, this comment won't hijack the thread into a discussion of pets, like my ebook comment hijacked it into a ebook discussion.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I wonder how many people from the US and Canada relocated to Mexico only because it was cheaper?

·
Registered
6,714 Posts
Remember: If you think you have control of your life, go ahead and make plans. Murphy is out there, somewhere ..... always!
Once you know that, and accept it, you'll be able to relax and let Mexico happen to you.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
As a Group 2er - my take is if you want to duplicate your lifestyle of the USA/Canada, why move except for climate? We are the typical 2-car suburbanites, and that is what we DO NOT WANT TO BE any longer. In the US, that would be quite impossible, if only due to transportation needs.

There is a motto we will follow when we get the Mexico: Live simply.

I will be happy with my three pairs of shoes, a used car, a bunch of jeans, some shorts - you get the idea.

After a life of acquisition, it is time to shed, more "stuff" means more responsibility, less stuff = more freedom and less stress.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Now I am on the level that Mexico thinks I should receive monthly for an FM2 visa.
Obviously they want no cheapskates.

But for a normal or let's say average lower middle class ******, except for rent, I really do not see a benefit of moving to Mexico unless you really, really like tortillas and 20 versions of beans.
Well there's working in the U.S. and being lower middle class then there's being retired and having enough assets to live a lower middle class lifestyle. Obviously Social Security alone won't provide a lower middle class lifestyle in the U.S..

I once read a blog, not sure if it was yours but you made the statement on it that Catemaco now has it's own ****** ghetto. That's a very nice R.V. park that affords a turnkey situation that would allow people the chance to try living in Mexico for awhile in an environment that might ease their concerns. I get the impression you equate RVing with something akin to ******* squalor and don't want to see it in "your" town.

What pension I accrued before our plan was terminated will be enough with Social Security to qualify for a permanent visa. But I intend to on just it for a number of years before I hit 62 and am pretty certain I'll be just fine. Being working class I'm used to low expectations. I like to walk, read, and don't need to explore the intricacies of haute cuisine. I don't need a/c since I'm a mountain person, not a beachgoer. I don't need to charter fishing boats or own one myself. I'm fine with a 25" tv, don't have to own a library of music or the high fidelity electronics to truly enjoy it. The sights and sounds of street markets, the smell of street food, that's interesting enough for me. So sorry, not having an independent income will keep most of the po'folk from invading Mexico, if not their own fears and prejudices, but not all of us. So you'll just have to share.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Somewhere in this song is the way we feel - we don't think there is virtue in poverty, but people generally accumulate more than they need - and with that comes problems. I won't have the bucks (pesos) others undoubtedly have, but the amount I've managed to have - is plenty for me!

Click:

1 - 20 of 588 Posts