Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Parked my rental car at the beach the other day to return and find someone had swiped the rear fender/bumper and scratched it. Not a lot of damage, no dents but a paint job. My hire company has an excess of about 800 Euros. Any experience dealing with this? Repair locally before returning the car or fear the worst on my credit card deposit?

:confused2:

·
Registered
366 Posts
Check the insurance you took out with the car rental company. We always take full cover, so that we are covered for any eventuality. This year we hired from 'Gold' and reported to them that the car already had some dents and scratches, but they were not concerned and seemed to expect it.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
For £30 for a year I took a policy which covers exactly for such eventuality. Car hire companies charge you that for a weeks cover

·
Registered
472 Posts
I don't think the hire company would let you do it if you ask them, but if a garage was willing to do work on a hire car and the hire car didn't find the problem, it would surely be cheaper.

I hired a car when I went back to the UK last Christmas. I booked online, including the extra insurance at something like 2 pounds a day. When I went to pick the car up, they said I hadn't booked the extra insurance and it was now 8 pounds a day. The receipt for the online booking didn't show that I had booked it. Needless to say I felt like I was being conned so took the risk and didn't pay for the extra insurance. Also needless to say I had a little prang in the car, I pulled up too close to the kerb at the front of a parking space and the low bumper scratched on the top edge of the kerb. When I took the car back they spotted it straight away, even though the lady from the hire car company had to lie on her back to see it. It's obviously a common place for damage on that car. Anyway, they took 500 pounds off me in the end. It was scratches on the paintwork about 12 inches long and 3 inches high. An expensive lesson learned.

·
Administrator
36,698 Posts
Not sure if I can give out names as it might break rules re advertising. Will message you link to one I use
if you have no business links to the company, nor financial gain from recommending them, you wouldn't be breaking any rules by posting a link

1 - 9 of 9 Posts