Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello--

I'm new to this forum and haven't spent much time looking around so I apologize if this is old news or has already been discussed.

I'm American and am marrying an English man in January. I've chosen to live there and hope to be there permanently shortly after the wedding. Right now I'm working on rebuilding my resume so I can start looking for a job.

My question is are there any sort of standards for a UK cover letter or will it be the same as writing one in the US? I don't know how to address my situation in the letter (in the US currently but will be in UK in Feb or March with no actual date yet) in a professional manner.

Any ideas? I've tried googling it but haven't come up with anything yet. Any advice is helpful!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
CV's & Cover Letters

Hello--

I'm new to this forum and haven't spent much time looking around so I apologize if this is old news or has already been discussed.

I'm American and am marrying an English man in January. I've chosen to live there and hope to be there permanently shortly after the wedding. Right now I'm working on rebuilding my resume so I can start looking for a job.

My question is are there any sort of standards for a UK cover letter or will it be the same as writing one in the US? I don't know how to address my situation in the letter (in the US currently but will be in UK in Feb or March with no actual date yet) in a professional manner.

Any ideas? I've tried googling it but haven't come up with anything yet. Any advice is helpful!!

Hello

I run a CV/resume writing business in Melbourne, Australia but I am English and worked in recruitment there for many years. You will find that the expectations will be almost the same as in the US. The golden rules are to make the covering letter specific to the job you are applying for, refer to the contact by name if there is one stated. Naturally spellling and grammer should be perfect. When you spell-check make sure it ends up being UK spelling and not American English. Mainly where "ize" is used - supervize change to supervise ( probably stating the obvious there sorry).

I receive resumes from Americans and they are fine for our market here. A really helpful thing you can do is in your letter mention you have moved from the US and that you are eligible to work in the UK. Then in your resume you can, where you think relevant explain the equivalent in English perhaps of qualifications you have - especially if they are required for the role. I suppose just make it as easy as possible for the recpient to see you are relevant for the role and meet the main criteria of the job advert.

Hope this helps a bit at least - Dom

·
Registered
581 Posts
Hello--

I never put a cover letter, so far I haven't had any problems (my field of expertise is technical, so prospective employers are mostly interested in lots of arcane acronyms :D ).

I mix American and British English with abandon (as do many Brits) since I learned American English before coming to the UK, as far as I can tell this has never disadvantaged me in any way.

Regards and good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.