Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Q1 )
Can someone tell me whether the following goods are allowed ?
All of them are branded and sealed.

Salt - 1 kg
Sugar - 1 kg
Rice - 2 kg
Chilli Powder - 1kg
Corriander Powder - 1kg
Sambar/Dal Powder - 1 Kg

I could not find the info from Au DIBP website.

Prohibited and restricted imports

Q2)

I have downloaded quite a number of Hindi/Tamil/Telugu/English TV serials from youtube/internet.
They will be in my hard drive.
Will Customs authorities be checking into the contents of USB Flash drives and laptops also ?.
Has anyone experienced any issues ?.

Q3)

My kid is still being fed homemade nutripowder (homoepathic + herbal ingredients).
I plan to take around 5 kg of this.
Any experience on taking stuff lilke this (i.e homemade ..not branded stuff)

Q4)

I found that the current weather in Sydney is very cold (lows : 11-15s , highs : 20-25s) .
Should I buy the winter clothes from India itself or it is wise to buy those stuff from Sydney only ?.

Q5)

What are the calling/phone options that new immigrants prefer upon their first entry in Australia ?

Q6)

I have gotten accomodation in Paramatta (master en-suite room but not an individual apartment..shared only) for 1600 AUD/month...Is this costly or worth for the locality ?.

PS : I realise this list is quite long..so I sincerely appreciate for all the answers that I can get.

Thanks

·
Registered
195 Posts
Q1 )
Can someone tell me whether the following goods are allowed ?
All of them are branded and sealed.

Salt - 1 kg
Sugar - 1 kg
Rice - 2 kg
Chilli Powder - 1kg
Corriander Powder - 1kg
Sambar/Dal Powder - 1 Kg

I could not find the info from Au DIBP website.

Prohibited and restricted imports

Q2)

I have downloaded quite a number of Hindi/Tamil/Telugu/English TV serials from youtube/internet.
They will be in my hard drive.
Will Customs authorities be checking into the contents of USB Flash drives and laptops also ?.
Has anyone experienced any issues ?.

Q3)

My kid is still being fed homemade nutripowder (homoepathic + herbal ingredients).
I plan to take around 5 kg of this.
Any experience on taking stuff lilke this (i.e homemade ..not branded stuff)

Q4)

I found that the current weather in Sydney is very cold (lows : 11-15s , highs : 20-25s) .
Should I buy the winter clothes from India itself or it is wise to buy those stuff from Sydney only ?.

Q5)

What are the calling/phone options that new immigrants prefer upon their first entry in Australia ?

Q6)

I have gotten accomodation in Paramatta (master en-suite room but not an individual apartment..shared only) for 1600 AUD/month...Is this costly or worth for the locality ?.

PS : I realise this list is quite long..so I sincerely appreciate for all the answers that I can get.

Thanks
Hi

In general you can take anything with you as long as it it either allowed to bring in or you declare it. There is harm about declaring things where you are unsure. Worst thing which could happen is that you have to dispose it.
When we first came to Australia we had lots of medicine for our kids. In general you need a Doctor's statement that it is needed. We had one for most of our stuff but not all. Anyway, we just declared it and where simoly asked what it is. When we said it is just medicine for the kids they did not even bother to check the stuff.

A1: I would not bother bringing herbs with me. You can buy them cheap at any grocer store. Save that weight for more important stuff.

A2: i flew in and out of Australia about 10x and they never ever checked any of my drives, laptops etc.

A3: We never had any issues bringing this in. In case sou are unsure simply declare it.

A4: I reckon you buy clothes in India. Sydney is quite expensive in this regard. However, you do not need a lot. It is not that cold.

A5: I bougt an Optus pre paid sim card when I first arrived and was very happy with that provider. They have different plans.

A6: My gut feeling tells me it is not that cheap. But check gumtree.com.au and/or realestate.com.au for comparable options.

Cheers
Ben

Reactions: mebfm2
1 - 2 of 2 Posts