Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am sending few bags as air cargo, the forwarding company will send them to Lyon cargoport and they are charging me without customs clearance and handling fees (I have to go to the cargoport and process my bags out)

Has anyone gone through such process?
Is it feasible to do it myself or would it be better I use an agent? Tried to contact a local company and they quoted me about 350 euros for getting the bags out and delivery to Grenoble excluding any taxes (which I doubt as the items are used personal belongings)

Note that my french is not very good (yet)...

What do you think?

·
Administrator
50,378 Posts
I've had to collect a shipment at Roissy (CDG airport) at the customs building. In my case, the trickiest part was arranging the truck to collect the goods (a couple pieces of furniture).

When the shipment arrives, they'll send you a letter with instructions how to claim your stuff. (Maybe these days they notify you by e-mail, but don't count on that.) By the time you get there, most or all of the paperwork should be filled out. (Can't recall if they sent forms for me to fill out with the notification. But there is a bunch of paperwork one way or another.)

The letter will explain what documents you'll need, but if you're importing personal belongings, be very sure to bring your passport, including your visa and/or resident card (carte de séjour). Chances are you'll wind up having to pay a fee to the customs office at the airport for "processing" your shipment - when I got my stuff the fee was a little over 100€, if I recall correctly.

Obviously, the procedures at the Lyon airport may vary.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bev, so if I understand well it was straight forward with some paperwork to do and some fees ....
I will not need a truck, just few bags that should fit in my car, I guess will go try it myself. Not sure though about thenotification but I will rely on the date that will be given to me by the forwarding company.

Thanks agian

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is an update. Once the shipment arrived they called to pick it up the second day or else handling fees would be higher.
I went to france handling building in lyon airport cargoport, i had a copy of the AWB, i paid 84 euros, they do not accept cash, only CB.
Then I went to the customs building with the papers, I was asked why I am in france ..I had copies of my work permit and this was helpful, he took a copy and a copy of my business card, stamped the papers... No customs paid, back to france handling, gave them the papers and they delivered the bags.... The overall process took about 45 min, may be less...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts