Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I currently live in the USA and have dual citizenship in Spain I am interested in purchasing either a flat or a home in northern Spain once I find a home or flat can I purchase it from the United States via mail or Internet or must I be in person for the full transaction if I need to be in person for the full transaction typically how long is it from start to finish so I know how long I need to spend in Spain. If anyone can give me some basic information on what I need to know such as weather need a lawyer how I need to obtain a mortgage or anything else for that matter it incredibly helpful like I said I live in United States I plan a movie there sometime in the future but for now I want to secondary home I also have family there that might be able to assist me if I made them a power of attorney if that exists there

·
Administrator
36,510 Posts
Hello I currently live in the USA and have dual citizenship in Spain I am interested in purchasing either a flat or a home in northern Spain once I find a home or flat can I purchase it from the United States via mail or Internet or must I be in person for the full transaction if I need to be in person for the full transaction typically how long is it from start to finish so I know how long I need to spend in Spain. If anyone can give me some basic information on what I need to know such as weather need a lawyer how I need to obtain a mortgage or anything else for that matter it incredibly helpful like I said I live in United States I plan a movie there sometime in the future but for now I want to secondary home I also have family there that might be able to assist me if I made them a power of attorney if that exists there
:welcome:

some property transactions take place within days - some take months

you don't have to have a lawyer, but I doubt anyone would recommend that you go that route

you can do it without being here - power of attorney can be used

getting a mortgage might be the main sticking point....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information what do you think will be some on my obstacles to get a mortgage do you have any insight on what I should do or where should start looking

·
Registered
12 Posts
Although English, I am technically a resident of the US.

I just closed a property transaction, with mortgage in Spain through "La Caixa". The application was done with my US address and US tax returns as proof of income.

This was not my first property purchase in Spain, so I have a feel for the process. I did not use a lawyer in this case, but that was due to this particular situation and the cost of the property. I have used a lawyer in the past. This property was built in the 60s and I bought it from the original owners who had no mortgage on it.

You can check sites like Kyero.com and Idealista.com, but there is no substitute for being on the ground looking and talking with real estate agents in person.

You can typically expect to pay between 12-15% on top of the purchase price in fees and taxes for the notary, land registry, etc. The old rule was 10%, but on this most recent transaction for me it worked out at 14.5%. Tax on property purchases in Spain went up from 8% to 10% in August of this year.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts