Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm Matt, and I'm in my last year of college. In May I'll be graduating with a BS in biology, and would like to work in a greenhouse somewhere, or something botany related. I'll be doing some serious job hunting for a position in SoCal, as I have friends there (in both San Diego and LA), but I would also like to work/live in the UK for a few years. Maybe permanently. My grandmother is London born and raised, but that doesn't seem to matter when applying for a visa. I know the economy has made it pretty tough on both sides of the pond, but in the states things are a lot better than they were during the initial recession in 2008. Does anyone know what the job market is like in my field (or related) in England right now? From what I can see I think I'd be happy living anywhere from Bristol east, or anywhere in the south.

Sorry if I was rambling, and I know this is a bit of a long shot, but it couldn't hurt to ask. I don't know where my future is taking me, but I've always wanted to live in either California or England, and I've only visited CA as an adult. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Hi and welcome! I cannot help with the work question but do know you can get an ancestral visa through you grandmother so good luck

·
Registered
533 Posts
Mbeacham said:
Hi everyone. I'm Matt, and I'm in my last year of college. In May I'll be graduating with a BS in biology, and would like to work in a greenhouse somewhere, or something botany related. I'll be doing some serious job hunting for a position in SoCal, as I have friends there (in both San Diego and LA), but I would also like to work/live in the UK for a few years. Maybe permanently. My grandmother is London born and raised, but that doesn't seem to matter when applying for a visa. I know the economy has made it pretty tough on both sides of the pond, but in the states things are a lot better than they were during the initial recession in 2008. Does anyone know what the job market is like in my field (or related) in England right now? From what I can see I think I'd be happy living anywhere from Bristol east, or anywhere in the south. Sorry if I was rambling, and I know this is a bit of a long shot, but it couldn't hurt to ask. I don't know where my future is taking me, but I've always wanted to live in either California or England, and I've only visited CA as an adult. Thanks for the help.
Hello,

Maybe search online for a job related field in the UK to see how many jobs pop up. The job market here is pretty rough and even though I have plenty of US experience most jobs look for UK experience. It has taken me a year to finally get a long term position. I had applied to hundreds of jobs, went to several interviews and call backs and after enough UK experience I finally snatched a position. I don't mean to make it sound bad as some people luck up and get a job ASAP but most don't. Try looking into agency work as they can help with doing day to day work and help getting you UK experience.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hi and welcome! I cannot help with the work question but do know you can get an ancestral visa through you grandmother so good luck
I don't think Americans are eligible for ancestry visas. I'm sure someone with more experience can clarify this.

·
Super Moderator
18,073 Posts
Modzy78 is correct. Americans are not eligible for ancestry visas. Ancestry visas are only available to citizens of Commonwealth countries who have a grandparent who was born in The UK.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Modzy78 is correct. Americans are not eligible for ancestry visas. Ancestry visas are only available to citizens of Commonwealth countries who have a grandparent who was born in The UK.
Thanks Nyclon, that's very interesting. In fact I remember doing some research on when Zimbabwe left the commonwealth so should have thought about this....

·
Registered
39,104 Posts
Hi everyone. I'm Matt, and I'm in my last year of college. In May I'll be graduating with a BS in biology, and would like to work in a greenhouse somewhere, or something botany related. I'll be doing some serious job hunting for a position in SoCal, as I have friends there (in both San Diego and LA), but I would also like to work/live in the UK for a few years. Maybe permanently. My grandmother is London born and raised, but that doesn't seem to matter when applying for a visa. I know the economy has made it pretty tough on both sides of the pond, but in the states things are a lot better than they were during the initial recession in 2008. Does anyone know what the job market is like in my field (or related) in England right now? From what I can see I think I'd be happy living anywhere from Bristol east, or anywhere in the south.

Sorry if I was rambling, and I know this is a bit of a long shot, but it couldn't hurt to ask. I don't know where my future is taking me, but I've always wanted to live in either California or England, and I've only visited CA as an adult. Thanks for the help.
American citizens face a huge barrier trying to relocate to UK (in fairness, the same can be said for the opposite direction). Most other routes open to some aren't available, such as ancestry (Commonwealth citizens only) and Tier 5 youth mobility scheme (aka working holiday, only for young people from a handful of countries). So your choice is basically Tier 2 General sponsored work visa (you won't qualify for shortage occupation as a recent graduate so any job offer must first go to UK or EEA citizens or those already settled, i.e. with the equivalent of green card). You can try study visa to do graduate studies (called postgraduate courses), for which you must pay tuition fees and have £800 to £1,000 a month available for living costs. When you graduate, you can take any graduate-level job. Or get a job in US working for a multinational, and after a few years and with promotions, you may get a chance to work in their UK operations (Tier 2 intra-company transfer). Or fall in love with UK or EEA passport holder or settled person.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the information, you guys have been very helpful. I'll look Ito the suggestions you've left in your replies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.