Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

Currently looking at coming to UK on Tier 5 YMV (I am 30 so this year is IT!) - what's the job market like in UK at the moment?

I am an experienced administrator with experience in government, project management, construction, maintenance and mining industries.

I am also considering doing a further working visa in one of the EU countries (France, Greece or Italy) for a taste of something else, however I am English speaking only so am unsure what opportunities are there for someone like myself?

Thanks in advance!

AC

·
Registered
42 Posts
It depends on your area. I used to work in heritage, but the market for that is very difficult. There are lots of postings for jobs online, but most are posted even though they have a person in mind for it; they just have to go through the motions. You will most likely have to get a part time job. I know people who take about a year to get anything remotely in their field; but again, your field is different from mine. Jobs do not abound at the moment. Tier 5 is really designed for holiday visas, and many places that are not part time or 'fluff' jobs don't really like hiring people who are going to need sponsorship in the future, at least in my and my friends' experience.

It's not impossible to get a job you like and that will further your career, but it is difficult. Best of luck.

Really good places to apply for part time work are pubs (if you like that atmosphere) or Waterstones. Museums hire front of house a lot too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It depends on your area. I used to work in heritage, but the market for that is very difficult. There are lots of postings for jobs online, but most are posted even though they have a person in mind for it; they just have to go through the motions. You will most likely have to get a part time job. I know people who take about a year to get anything remotely in their field; but again, your field is different from mine. Jobs do not abound at the moment. Tier 5 is really designed for holiday visas, and many places that are not part time or 'fluff' jobs don't really like hiring people who are going to need sponsorship in the future, at least in my and my friends' experience.

It's not impossible to get a job you like and that will further your career, but it is difficult. Best of luck.

Really good places to apply for part time work are pubs (if you like that atmosphere) or Waterstones. Museums hire front of house a lot too.
Thanks for the info! I understand I will have to just take what I can get! :)

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
I agree with katsi.
Most employers, looking at 2-year validity of Tier 5 YMS visa, won't bother any further as they know you will be moving on. You stand a better chance with a contract job, or temporary cover for illness or maternity. Just be pleased to get any job, even tossing burgers in McD (still lots of competition), canvassers, call centres etc, which are the main casual jobs.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Once you arrive I would suggest finding volunteer work that might lead to some contacts. I volunteer at a historical site and there have been two girls in the last month that both got jobs through

·
Registered
756 Posts
Sorry posted too early. There were two girls in the last 6 months I have been there that got jobs through their contacts. One got a government job and the other working at Buckingham palace.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Connie,

Thought I'd jump in here as the posts above seem to be painting a fairly bleak picture and as a fellow Aussie I'd not want you to lose enthusiasm about coming over!

I'm over here on a Tier 5 YMS visa at the moment, and have been for the past 18 months or so. Needless to say, it's been an amazing experience!

Both myself and my girlfriend found work within the first couple of weeks - I work as a marketing manager for a large risk management firm and she works in programme management for a university in London. We're both working in the fields we wanted to work in, and in roles that will help us advance our respective careers long-term. The jobs are out there, so don't go freaking out that you might be spending two years behind a bar letting your professional skillset go to waste!

However - Joppa does make a good point around the likelihood of finding a permanent position. It was the first lesson I learned upon touching down. Employers just won't go near someone on a 2 year visa in order to fill a permanent role - and that makes sense.

The easy fix? 12 month / 2 year contracts. We were lucky enough to score the latter, and there's plenty of them around, especially in the areas you are looking.

Look for contract work from the outset and you'll be fine.

I also recommend getting in touch with recruitment agencies like Hays, Michael Page, Morgan Hunt etc in advance and lining up interviews for your first week in town to get the ball rolling from day dot.

Hope this helps!

Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.