Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

How would you rate your experience in Australia as a 476 visa holder?

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings fellow 476 visa holders,

As I began my 476 journey, I scoured the net to find information from real people holding this visa. I found tonnes of information for those applying... BIG shout out to the "476 visa - help needed" page. Also a big shout out to all those expatforum members who take their time to answer questions. This information is invaluable, and what an admirable thing for us young aspiring engineers to help each other!

However, there is a real lack of online presence by actual 476 visa holders CURRENTLY living/working in Australia. We need to share our experiences with each other - it could be so mutually beneficial. What city is ideal for your field? Job leads? Tips? Advice? Warnings? For this reason, I have created this thread for 476 visa holders to come together and share their experiences on what it is like to be living in Australia on this visa, to encourage and advise each other, and also for us to get to know and help each other where possible.

I'll share a bit of my story. I came to Australia in late January 2015. I have a 1st class BEng Civil Engineering degree from University of Sheffield (UK) and 1 year of working experience in structures. My experience of Australia has been largely positive thus far i.e. friendly people, great food, cafe culture, beautiful beaches and scenery etc. It's a lovely place to live there is no question about that... However, finding a relevant job has been a little challenging.

Over the past couple of months I have done a little bit of casual work here and there for a Facilities Management company. The director found me on LinkedIn and approached me to do some work. It's not directly related to my field, but I am getting a few dollars and some experience, BUT more importantly, it helps me rub shoulders with high profile engineers from some prominent companies. I have made contacts with civil, structural and mechanical engineers, as well as a few site managers. This is golden. I have added all of these people to my professional network and this is greatly enhancing my chances of finding full-time work. If there is one piece of advice I could give to 476ers, it is to create a great LinkedIn page and add as many people as you can, especially local Australians or those in your field. Someone could know someone who could know someone... and it only takes one good connection. Job recommendations are big here in Australia!

It's difficult sometimes but I am working on staying positive, applying LOADS and connecting with as many people as possible. Searching for a job is a full-time job, seriously :D. So my message to all you 476 visa holders, is STAY POSITIVE and DON'T GIVE UP, YOU WILL GET THERE!! In the mean time, if you have the points and the means, you should really consider applying for 189 visa (Permanent Residency) as this will greatly increase your chances of finding a permanent position! Keep your head up, and my prayer is that this thread will give rise to lots of success stories for us all!

I should add I am happy to add any fellow 476ers to my LinkedIn network. To connect with me please send me a private message by hovering over my name and clicking "send private message" (Note: you need to have made at least 5 posts on expat forum to send a private message).

All the best 476ers!! And I hope to see you sharing your experiences. Questions are of course also welcomed and encouraged! Let's get this dialogue started.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi, I got here about 3 weeks ago. I have a Master's in chemical engineering but no work experience. Working at a kitchen in Melbourne right now. I plan to apply for 189 visa as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's great that you have gotten casual work so soon. How did you go about finding work at a kitchen?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi.. Planning to land in Australia in July with 476 visa.. Presently in India, working as a Electriical design engineer in a reputed Construction company..

Reactions: Junaid Butt

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi wandia,
i finished my masters in electronic engineering in UK. Now I got my 476 granted. I am planning to come to Sydney next month. Could u share the information about the jobs and trainee ships in electronic engineering field. Please share your valuable information ASAP

·
Registered
156 Posts
i have similar backgroud, Beng civil engineering from UCL, i am not clever so i didnt get first class(acctually far away from that) currently undertaking a master programme at HongKong UST, got my 476 visa in March and I am heading to sydney later this month. really hope i can find a job as a civil engineer or similar, altough I know it is very hard without PR

·
Registered
81 Posts
That's great that you have gotten casual work so soon. How did you go about finding work at a kitchen?
Got it from a guy in my facebook group. Not the best job in the world but it helps me paying the insane rent.

Hi.. Planning to land in Australia in July with 476 visa.. Presently in India, working as a Electriical design engineer in a reputed Construction company..
If you can get a 476 visa, why did you have to write a CDR? I thought the accord pathway doesn't need it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you can get a 476 visa, why did you have to write a CDR? I thought the accord pathway doesn't need it.
Not all universities which are listed for 476 visa eligibility are washington accord univs. U can verify this by checking immi site.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I finished my masters in Electronic Engineering in UK. I got my 476 visa approved. But I know, getting the job with temporary visa is very very tough challenge. i think the best way to get the hands on experience is to go for trainee ships. Any one please share your valuable information regarding the trainee ships in engineering.
And also please share your valuable information regarding the job consultancies who can help us to get the jobs or trainee ships in Australia.
Hoping for the best information......

·
Registered
2 Posts
Shayan

I have applied the 476 and they asked me to submit a Statement of Relevance. i am a Civil Engineer and did my MS in Construction Management from City University London.

Please can someone share his thought if he or she has submitted this Statement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Shayan

i have applied for 476 and they are asking me to submit Statement of Relevance, i have never heard that anyone was asked before to submit.
I did my MS in Construction Management from City University London and a Civil Engineer by profession.

Can anyone share his or her experience ?

·
Registered
43 Posts

Hi there,

I am about to submit my 476 but I have received my BEng (EEE) on 26th June, 2013 from UK. Currently I am residing in Bangladesh.

i) Now my question arise like is that OK if I apply before 26th June, 2015?

ii) If that so then is it a faster process to upload all the documents including PCC and health together?

Best Regards,
Anik Ahsan

Reactions: TheInnovativeGuy

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi there,

I am about to submit my 476 but I have received my BEng (EEE) on 26th June, 2013 from UK. Currently I am residing in Bangladesh.

i) Now my question arise like is that OK if I apply before 26th June, 2015?

ii) If that so then is it a faster process to upload all the documents including PCC and health together?

Best Regards,
Anik Ahsan
Hi,

i) Now my question arise like is that OK if I apply before 26th June, 2015? Yes, make sure that you pay for the visa application before june 26.
ii) If that so then is it a faster process to upload all the documents including PCC and health together? I uploaded all the documents within a week of submitting the application and was granted the visa in a month. It certainly saves the time of communicating back and forth for required documents.

Reactions: Anik1288

·
Registered
43 Posts
Dear Sharonne,

Many thanks for your reply. I am just wondering does it matter to wait for the officer to ask me to send PCC and health ? or Is it better to send all the documents on the checklist together including PCC and Health Cert?

Best Regards,
Anik

·
Registered
57 Posts
Dear Sharonne,

Many thanks for your reply. I am just wondering does it matter to wait for the officer to ask me to send PCC and health ? or Is it better to send all the documents on the checklist together including PCC and Health Cert?

Best Regards,
Anik
Waiting for the CO to request for additional information does not matter much, you can always do it either way; though i suggest you to upload them as soon as possible to make ur application decision ready.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Dear Sharonne,

Many many thanks for your reply I have managed all the documents but even though I am facing few difficulties.

i) I have taken my PCC from UK in 10 April 2014, and then I left UK in 21 May, 2014. I haven't been there afterwards. So i am just wondering like apart from the Police certificate I have taken from my country, do I need to apply for the police certificate once again from UK? Because on IMMI website it's written ''For immigration purposes a police certificate is deemed to be valid for 12 months from the issue date'' !!!!

ii) I am married. But my wife is a 5th year medical student. She is doing MBBS and will finish it on the next year. That's why she can't join with me to Australia right now. Now on the IMMI website 476 checklist it's saying ''If your partner does not intend to come to Australia with you: A statement explaining why and whether they intend to join you in the future'' !!!!
Do you have any idea/template/format to write an explanation statement like that?

Thank you so much for your time and kind help.

Regards,
Anik

·
Registered
43 Posts
Dear Sharonne,

My last question is

iii) My wife is not going to join me to Australia so is she required to submit anything (PCC or Health) now apart from our marriage certificate??????

Best Regards,
Anik

·
Registered
43 Posts
Dear Sharonne,

Can you please help me out by answering my queries please. I appreciate your kind help and suggestion it big time.

Many thanks & Regards,
Anik

·
Registered
57 Posts
Dear Sharonne,

Many many thanks for your reply I have managed all the documents but even though I am facing few difficulties.

i) I have taken my PCC from UK in 10 April 2014, and then I left UK in 21 May, 2014. I haven't been there afterwards. So i am just wondering like apart from the Police certificate I have taken from my country, do I need to apply for the police certificate once again from UK? Because on IMMI website it's written ''For immigration purposes a police certificate is deemed to be valid for 12 months from the issue date'' !!!!

ii) I am married. But my wife is a 5th year medical student. She is doing MBBS and will finish it on the next year. That's why she can't join with me to Australia right now. Now on the IMMI website 476 checklist it's saying ''If your partner does not intend to come to Australia with you: A statement explaining why and whether they intend to join you in the future'' !!!!
Do you have any idea/template/format to write an explanation statement like that?

Thank you so much for your time and kind help.

Regards,
Anik
Hi anik,

You are right, Pcc is valid only for 12 months. Since your UK PCC was from April 2014, I guess you cannot use the same if you apply for visa in May. I suggest that you get a new PCC. If you had applied for the visa by april 2015, this would not have been an issue.

I am not aware of the format, you may submit an extensive writeup about her education, her inability to join you now , that would do. since my husband is already a PR, I didn't have to submit the statement. Hence,i am not very sure about the template, please seek the advise of other senior forumers too. In myopinion,a simple letter giving the necessary details would do.

Is it not possible to add her as your dependant in the application? So that she can visit you now and then during her holidays for the next 18 months.. Consider this option if there is a possibilty!:)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Dear Sharonne,

My last question is

iii) My wife is not going to join me to Australia so is she required to submit anything (PCC or Health) now apart from our marriage certificate??????

Best Regards,
Anik
Her PCC and health will not be required in that case.

Any more questions, please feel free to ask :nod:

1 - 20 of 115 Posts