Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a long shot, but it's worth a try. Have any of you Americans ever travelled to Cuba from Spain? If so, any problems with the visa? From what I've read I know it's possible, but I want to be 100% sure before I pay for my trip. Thanks for any help you can offer.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Possible

I know this is a long shot, but it's worth a try. Have any of you Americans ever travelled to Cuba from Spain? If so, any problems with the visa? From what I've read I know it's possible, but I want to be 100% sure before I pay for my trip. Thanks for any help you can offer.
To avoid complications, I would only rely on what the US State department says, so unless you fall into one of the 12 categories that are allowed, you could face questioning when you return to the US. It is still prohibited to travel to Cuba as a US citizen, unless you have a second passport. If you have another passport besides the US, then your set!

Another thing to note, US issued credit cards, and debit cards will not work in Cuba, they are prohibited from working, so you will need to finance your trip with cash.

·
Registered
320 Posts
FWIW, during the GW Bush years, my brother, a US citizen, flew from the UK to the US while wearing a t-shirt that said "Havana" and US immigration grilled him and went through his luggage looking for proof he had been in Cuba. But he hadn't. If i remember correctly, at that time the fine for visiting Cuba could be up to $8k.

I, a US citizen, went to Cuba during the Obama years, brought all this proof that I had (admittedly distant) family there, and immigration asked me one question "Where are you coming from?" I said "Cuba" and he waved me through.

My US citizen parents have been to Cuba multiple times during the Obama years and once before Trump announced that he wanted to go back to the failed Cold War era embargo of Cuba. They didn't bring any proof of family in Cuba, and weren't given any grief by US immigration.

But if you are flying from Spain to Cuba to Spain, none of this will matter.

·
Banned
92 Posts
I went to Cuba in the 90s but went thru Mexico with no stamp in my US passport. More expensive but saved the fine and/or worse. Beautiful country & people.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Caution...

I agree about 'beautiful country', not so much about 'beautiful people'. Close friends of mine went there in the early 2000's, they were robbed. Also, my friend was walking on a street which seemed safe, the some punk ran up to her and ripped the gold chain off her neck.

Not all of the Cuban people are like this of course, but in a country which is so oppressed, and poor, I can see how the locals will prey on tourists who are there with 'rose colored lenses'. I suppose if one visited, and was not victimized, then they were lucky. 'Sorry, but it is reality. Cuba has its issues.

·
Banned
92 Posts
Try going to Cannes or Nice with a nice watch on your wrist or gold looking necklace around your neck.
Or you could ask a use to be national soccer player from the UK about riding around with your arm hanging out the window of your Jeep in London.

Happens everywhere and to all sorts.

·
Banned
92 Posts
My friend was walking on a street which seemed safe, the some punk ran up to her and ripped the gold chain off her neck.
Let me guess; blonde hair - blue eyes and alone... Come on, get real, it is a 3rd world country because of the leadership. I do not think you or her would get to much sympathy.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I am under the impression that Cuba is hard on criminals who target tourists, since tourist money is so vital. Maybe that is only violent crime though.

The most unique problem I noticed in Cuba was the higher level of machismo. I have never seen so many men whistle, yell, blow kisses and lick their lips at women walking by. I am glad I see so little of that in Spain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts