Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Does anyone know where in Maadi the CSA is located? We went to what we were told is the "American Club" and were told that we could not join (Im American) because we didn't work for the embassy or the university.

Is the American Club the same as the CSA? We are a little confused...

Any info would help, although the CSA website doesn't give a location, I've already tried that.

We tried the British club on last Friday. It was nice but hard to find and they had a really loud party, we left when we were told the police were arriving. I'd like to go back, but maybe skip the loud party nights.

·
Registered
19 Posts
CSA is located on Street 21, Building #4...it's off of Midan Victoria (close to Kimo Market). The street can be a little tricky to find...it runs parallel to Street 206 with the railway tracks in between the two streets. However, it's a well known establishment so most of the people in the area will be able to direct you.

CSA is different from the American Club...CSA is open to everyone and you don't need a membership unless you join the gym, library, movie club, etc.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I just found it; went and had a walk around. Looks nice. We're probably better off there than at the American club anyway; we prefer organizations that are open to everyone anyway.

Thanks for your help. How long have you been in Cairo?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks! I just found it; went and had a walk around. Looks nice. We're probably better off there than at the American club anyway; we prefer organizations that are open to everyone anyway.

Thanks for your help. How long have you been in Cairo?
Ah, good, glad to hear you found it :) I've been in Cairo for three years now, how about yourself?

·
Registered
47 Posts
CSA is the Community Service Association for expatriates. It is very popular amongst expatriate wives. It publishes a monthly magazine called "Oasis" and organizes many activities that appeals to the expats here.

It has a program called : Cooks-off twice a week - i.e. you can buy ready made food (on Sunday and Thursday) and I know of many who would purchase stacks of ready made food so they don't have to cook for the rest of the week.

I don't go there very often (maybe once or twice a month) although I know of friends who hang around there on a daily basis. If you hang around there long enough, you are bound to know other expatriates who may share the same common interests as you, such as gardening, jewelry making, children talk, etc etc.

I also do not go for their activities as they pay the instructor only 50% of fees paid by the first participant while the rest of the fees paid by other participants (including 50% of the first participant) goes into the pocket of the CSA. I believe in Fair Trade and this is not fair, at least to me.

Also I feel that the fees charged are grossly overpriced by Egyptian standards and although I can afford it, I believe in dealing fairly and equitably and I don't like to feed the greedy. But I know of many who enjoy these activities and I have positive feedback from them.

If you prefer organizations that are open to everyone, then perhaps CSA is the place to go for you.

As for me, I rather go and help the poor and the needy rather than to sit at CSA drinking coffee and making idle talks day after day although I must admit that Al Greco (the coffee shop) serves pretty good coffee.

·
Registered
4 Posts
CSA is the Community Service Association for expatriates. It is very popular amongst expatriate wives. It publishes a monthly magazine called "Oasis" and organizes many activities that appeals to the expats here.

It has a program called : Cooks-off twice a week - i.e. you can buy ready made food (on Sunday and Thursday) and I know of many who would purchase stacks of ready made food so they don't have to cook for the rest of the week.

I don't go there very often (maybe once or twice a month) although I know of friends who hang around there on a daily basis. If you hang around there long enough, you are bound to know other expatriates who may share the same common interests as you, such as gardening, jewelry making, children talk, etc etc.

I also do not go for their activities as they pay the instructor only 50% of fees paid by the first participant while the rest of the fees paid by other participants (including 50% of the first participant) goes into the pocket of the CSA. I believe in Fair Trade and this is not fair, at least to me.

Also I feel that the fees charged are grossly overpriced by Egyptian standards and although I can afford it, I believe in dealing fairly and equitably and I don't like to feed the greedy. But I know of many who enjoy these activities and I have positive feedback from them.

If you prefer organizations that are open to everyone, then perhaps CSA is the place to go for you.

As for me, I rather go and help the poor and the needy rather than to sit at CSA drinking coffee and making idle talks day after day although I must admit that Al Greco (the coffee shop) serves pretty good coffee.

Great comment, I really honor your values in the comment posted. My co worker has been begging me (literally) to take a trip to the CSA, but my only interest in joining a club would be for the indoor basketball courts and gym. I know they have a gym, but after looking over their prices i would have to agree with you. The American dollar should not be used for their prices based on the Egyptian economy those prices are high way robbery.

·
Registered
724 Posts
The food they make is good too. Last week was Mexican day and they served real Margaritas, tough to find that these days in Cairo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have just phoned them, very helpful. The cooking days do sound of interest but unfortunately they are when I am working. They display a tool kit for expats with a cd for Arabic but do not have any currently. Does anyone have one to copy?? Male expat Madinaty

·
Registered
107 Posts
Although over-priced, i do respect the management of CSA.
I dont agree with them but they are cool.

to be differentiated from BCA, whose management is waaaaay off.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Jamjoom said:
Although over-priced, i do respect the management of CSA.
I dont agree with them but they are cool.

to be differentiated from BCA, whose management is waaaaay off.
What do you mean "way off" ??

·
Registered
14,309 Posts

Ohh I would be quite happy to sit and drink coffee and make idle chatter every day.. doesn't make me a bad person

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Jamjoom said:
waay off in terms of legality, business insight, attitude and professionalism.
I would like to see that accusation justified - with some facts.
Are the management paid or volunteers - do you know the answer to this question.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.