Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, my American wife and I had our spouse visa application accepted earlier this year but since then I have left my job. This is not a problem as we are living with my parents, I have plenty of savings and she easily found work once she was here. Recently I tried my hand at cryptocurrency trading and Im actually doing pretty well at this. It seems fairly likely that this can be a good source of income but I am now wondering about the implications for our FLRM application in the future. Obviously cryptocurrencies are an emerging technology, so I am wondering whether the earnings I make through this will be accepted for our visa application? Clearly HMRC acknowledge the earnings in order to tax people so equally is this an acceptable form of income when applied to our visa application? Obviously Im aware that you have to demonstrate the sources of funds so in my case the trail of money would be my bank account > cryptocurrency exchange website(s) > bank account. I guess just in the same way it typically would if I was trading regular fiat currencies. Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You will be classed as self-employed, with specific requirements as detailed Under Cat F and G in FM1.7: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...pendix_FM_1_7_Financial_Requirement_Final.pdf
Or it may be simpler just to submit your wife's income if it's more than £18,600 (a figure that may change when you come to apply).
Thanks Joppa, that's very helpful. I'll read up on that. I was thinking something vaguely similar to your suggestion. Combining my wife's income with savings, perhaps some of which will have come from my trading. Again, do you think they would be satisfied with screenshots/CSV files (documenting all my trades) taken from a cryptocurrency exchange website that is based in another country? Along with the usual bank statements, obviously.

On another note, you probably wont remember me specifically as you reply to so many people, but my wife and I thought of you earlier this year as we drove through the town of Joppa during a US road trip while we were waiting on our decision. We took it as a sign!

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
Yes, employed income with savings will be much simpler than self-employment. For the latter you need a year's account, tax papers, as well as bank statement, evidence of registered as self-employed and a myriad of other documents.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.