Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 1649 Posts

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Catalonian Separatists storm to victory in Catalonia elections

Quote from the BBC Report:

With nearly 94% of the votes counted, the "Junts per Si" ("Together for Yes") won 62 seats, while the far-left separatist CUP party is expected to secure 10 mandates.

"We have won," Catalan regional President Artus Mas told his cheering supporters late on Sunday.

After a celebration rally, the pro-independence camp's leaders told the BBC's Tom Burridge that they would now
proceed towards the creation of an independent Catalan state within 18 months.

BBC News - Pro-independence parties win elections in Catalonia

·
Registered
472 Posts
Rajoy is offering too little too late. He could've got a lot of people on his side years ago if he'd talked instead of refusing too. A lot of people who now want independence didn't a few years ago, it is refusing to talk, negotiate, to find a solution, that has forced this issue.

The coalition of parties to get the Independence Yes vote to work is indeed a big problem. They are arguing already. But I have been very impressed with the Junts per Sí coalition. The way they have joined forces, from opposite ends of the political spectrum, to get this vote to be like a referendum when it was consistently blocked was a master stroke and fair play to them for keeping it together.

As for the results, a clear majority of seats in parliament, is a victory, for now, but how long it will stick together, who knows. As for the percentage of votes, 48% definitely want independence whilst 38% say no. So that is a majority too. The people who voted for the other parties are classed as the Don't Knows, 14%, who could go either way. The Nos need nearly all these votes to break the 50% barrier, the Yes need a lot less.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Catalonia declares Indepedence on film !!!

Yes a film set in the near future, is about to hit Spanish cinema's screens this month,
just in time for the General Election. Called Eight Catalan Surnames or in Spanish,
8 Apellidos Catalanes.
You can rest assured that if any Expats have any doubts about what life would be
like - living in an Independent Catalonia - you cannot do worst than check
out - 8 Apellidos Catalanes.

Film highlights - watch out for the Basque fisherman who berates the Catalan mayor
making he's speech to a square festooned with Catalan independence flags: "When it
comes to independence, we're the first in line!"

G

·
Seen it and it's hysterical. It's more accurate to say it's about groups of people, how they perceive themselves and how others perceive them. The "hero" is from Andalucia so lots of digs by the Catalans at them and vice versa, no holds barred.

·
Registered
681 Posts
The next month is going to be interesting,with the main elections coming up.
Both Mas and Rajoy could face the same problem with their coalition partners refusing to back either of them for the top job.

On a side note, Rajoy didn't look to be a very happy bunny last night as he watched Barca take Real to the cleaners.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
On a side note, Rajoy didn't look to be a very happy bunny last night as he watched Barca take Real to the cleaners.
Great match, 0-4! :D It must have been quite daunting for the Barça players walking out into the Madrid stadium and seeing a sea of white hankies in the stands, not a red and yellow flag anywhere, and then getting fouled right left and centre in the first half hour. Yet they responded to the intimidation by playing brilliantly.

The animosity between the clubs goes back a long way of course, and is as much about politics than football. I've just ordered this book:

Fear and Loathing in La Liga: Barcelona vs Real Madrid: Amazon.co.uk: Sid Lowe: 9780224091800: Books

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Seen it and it's hysterical. It's more accurate to say it's about groups of people, how they perceive themselves and how others perceive them. The "hero" is from Andalucia so lots of digs by the Catalans at them and vice versa, no holds barred.
How did you get to see it so quickly? It was only released on 20 Nov!

Last night I watched 8 Apellidos Vascos, which this is a sequel to. Very funny!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Great match, 0-4! :D It must have been quite daunting for the Barça players walking out into the Madrid stadium and seeing a sea of white hankies in the stands, not a red and yellow flag anywhere, and then getting fouled right left and centre in the first half hour. Yet they responded to the intimidation by playing brilliantly.

The animosity between the clubs goes back a long way of course, and is as much about politics than football. I've just ordered this book:

Fear and Loathing in La Liga: Barcelona vs Real Madrid: Amazon.co.uk: Sid Lowe: 9780224091800: Books
Completely off-topic but, Alcalaina, I remembered you saying you had read the book you have linked above and I wondered if you had heard of, or maybe even read, this one too -

Remembering Doc: A father's tribute to football's lost genius - BBC Sport

Also, I drove behind a lorry with your name on it the other day. Took me a few minutes to realise where I had seen it before. What does it mean?

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Catalonia declares Indepedence on film !!!

Yes a film set in the near future, is about to hit Spanish cinema's screens this month,
just in time for the General Election. Called Eight Catalan Surnames or in Spanish,
8 Apellidos Catalanes.
You can rest assured that if any Expats have any doubts about what life would be
like - living in an Independent Catalonia - you cannot do worst than check
out - 8 Apellidos Catalanes.

Film highlights - watch out for the Basque fisherman who berates the Catalan mayor
making he's speech to a square festooned with Catalan independence flags: "When it
comes to independence, we're the first in line!"

A Catalan village declares UDI in 8 Apellidos Catalanes
It's old "8 Apelidos Catalanes" and bears little resemblance to the original "8 Apelidos Vascos" which was funny - this one, a sequel, isn't. In any case it isn't happening, it is just a spoof to appease the bridegroom's grandmother who wants to see Cataluña independent before she dies.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Completely off-topic but, Alcalaina, I remembered you saying you had read the book you have linked above and I wondered if you had heard of, or maybe even read, this one too -

Remembering Doc: A father's tribute to football's lost genius - BBC Sport

Also, I drove behind a lorry with your name on it the other day. Took me a few minutes to realise where I had seen it before. What does it mean?
I haven't read that one but I confess my motivation for reading Fear and Loathing was more about the politics than the football.

Alcalaina just means a female resident of Alcalá. There are lots of Alcalás in Spain - it comes from the Arabic Al Qalat, which means the Castle. Mine is Alcalá de los Gazules, the Castle of the Gazuls (a berber tribe). Maybe your lorry was from Alcalá la Real in Jaén - I doubt it was from here as there is no industry here apart from cheese-making.

·
Registered
785 Posts
"I think a unilateral declaration of independence will cause real estate prices to fall in Catalonia, at least temporarily."
Then what we can do if Spain don't give us other option?

·
Registered
272 Posts
I am more interested in the effects of this situation on real estate prices than the politics itself. Political uncertainty is likely to cause both domestic and international investors to hold off on buying and a unilateral declaration of independence is sure to cause some political uncertainty and indeed instability.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Then wait 4/5 month and invest, don't be afraid, there are many big investors that say "we dont't want to invest in Catalonia while are inside Spain."and many others are investing more than past years, and they are not stupids, The end of September will be the chock of trains between Catalonia and Spain

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mick, mate. Try Twitter. That's where the Jocks went to beat people into submission about their desire to separate from one country and be ruled by 27 others.
Ah so the EU is not 'one superstate' after all.

1 - 20 of 1649 Posts