Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am a UK national and am currently working in France in a post-doc position. I am going through the process of signing a new CDD contract but have been asked to provide a Criminal Records Check from the UK. I have searched the internet but haven't found any information on how the process works.

Does anyone have any advice? Is it the responsibility of the employer or employee to provide the information? If the employee, where should I apply for the check?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
If you google 'CRB check' you'll find loads of accredited companies that offer the service. Normally, the way it works is that you fill in a form and submit various documents, along with the fee, they might come back to you for clarification if they're not happy with the form, and in due course they send you a CRB certificate. The process is very like dealing with French bureaucracy!

However, you normally have to provide an unbroken history of UK addresses going back x years (5 years?) because they check against these addresses first to make sure you lived there (supposedly ;) ), and second to make sure that you have no prosecutions on file. So if you've been living in France you could have a problem. But if your UK bank statements are still being sent to an address in the UK and you still have that address on your driving licence, for instance, you should be able to 'prove' it satisfactorily. It doesn't seem to be too rigorous a check, I know people who have used aunts' addresses and all sorts and got through.

The way it works in the UK is that sometimes employers pay for CRBs and sometimes they don't, they have no obligation, so if you've been asked to do it and they're not offering to pay you want the contract, I guess you have to do it. If this is a French employer then I don't know what the obligations are.

·
Administrator
49,387 Posts
You should maybe check with the British Embassy on this one. Normally, in France they expect you to request your "cassier judiciaire" yourself (there's a website and/or address to request this). In the US, you have to make the request through the FBI (closest thing we have to a national police) and pay the fee to have it done. The Embassy will know where you need to request this and if there are any fees to be paid.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.