Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Would love any thoughts about my criminal record as it relates to my EEA family permit application.

I am American, husband is Italian Citizen.

Record:
Date: May 2002 - Age 17
Offence: Petty Theft - I stole make up (I was stupid)
Sentence: Paid a fine + Youth rehabilitation for Minors

Date: Sept 2005
Offence: Minor in possession of Alcohol (Age 20 but US legal drinking age is 21)
Sentence: Fine and Alcoholics Anonymous classes
(This happened often in the college town that I grew up in that it may have been reduced to a ticket)

These happened 10+ years ago - one when I was a minor. Do I need to disclose the theft offence even though I was under 18? Thoughts on how bad my crimes were for my application? I'd rather be upfront about everything on my application but could use some input

I was young, I know much better now!

·
Registered
39,060 Posts
General rule is to declare and give a calm explanation of why they happened, and as it was such a long time ago, that you no longer pose a risk to the public. UKVI does have wide ranging power to exclude people on public safety ground, so honesty is the best solution. I don't think you will have problems getting EEA family permit, but as they will look into your background, expect your application to take longer than average to process. Be scrupulously honest. There was a case a while ago of someone who put his sentence down as 8 months when the sentence was for 12 months. He had his EEA family permit application refused on the ground of dishonesty, as Home Office did an investigation, and the applicant had to explain that while the original sentence was for 12 months, after plea bargaining it was cut to 8 month - a fact he had failed to mention. OK, this was for far more serious offence - drugs - but the principle still stands.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.