Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There,

I've read most of the "sticky" posts and did not see any information about the level of crime in Dubai. I suspect that it is low but would like to hear from anyone already living there. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,963 Posts
Hi There,

I've read most of the "sticky" posts and did not see any information about the level of crime in Dubai. I suspect that it is low but would like to hear from anyone already living there. Thanks.
Hi,
In general, Dubai is one of the safest countries in the world.
There is some petty crime and some more serious - but much lower than many other countries - including 1st world.
We feel very safe here - but, of course, keep our eyes open and wits about us (especially in crowded places).
Unfortunately, most crimes are committed by visitors from overseas - the authorities know this and monitor high risk countries and individuals.
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
225 Posts
Dubai is relatively safe. even at night with my experiences.

For the time I spent there I used to let my teens go to the mall via metro alone and felt relaxed about it whereas in the states I probably wouldn't let them take public transport at this age alone.

But as always, it's best to keep cautious in any new country you live in at first.

Good luck.

·
Registered
858 Posts
What was said above except they failed to mention the horrendous, illegal driving actions which are seen everywhere you go and which make (by most studies) the UAE's roads some of the most lethal in the world, however carefully you drive :(

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
?...... which make (by most studies) the UAE's roads some of the most lethal in the world, however carefully you drive :(
Okay, I will bite. Name some of these studies.

The driving isn't perfect but I can think of four worse places without any thought at all - KSA, Qatar, anywhere in Africa, and of course Italy on a Saturday night as the bars close.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Violent crime is extremely rare.

There has been robberies on people leaving ATMs or carrying large amounts of cash but it is generally in some of the older parts. Car breakins are rare but happen more frequently in Sharjah

·
Registered
858 Posts
here you go for starters 2wheels:

The world's most dangerous roads - get the data | Global development | theguardian.com

yes of course driving standards are worse in a lot of places, especially in Africa (Egypt springs to mind) but the difference is the roads there are bearly upgraded goat tracks and most people drive 30-40 year old clapped out fiats with max speeds of 80kph downhill, when there's a following breeze ...

bit different here when your average local thinks nothing of driving DXB-AUH at nothing sub-200kph, whilst the average subcontinental driver is scared to drive the same road at more than 80kph as that's the most he/she'd drive at back home. The difference in speeds, lack of awareness and disregard for others are the killers here ..... and the law breakers.

·
Registered
203 Posts
My perception is that Dubai is very safe and crime rate is very low. I have personally never been in any situation that I felt unsafe; except while driving. Having said this, there are no crime statistics published here, and papers may not report everything.

We did become victim of petty crime: Our house has been twice victim of a burglary whilst we were sleeping. Only small items where taken, so nothing serious at all. Police told us that it was likely done by teenagers and explained burglaries happen from time to time. Mostly villa's in quiet neighborhood are targeted.

But despite our burglary experience, I rate Dubai as extremely safe to live in.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Okay, I will bite. Name some of these studies.

The driving isn't perfect but I can think of four worse places without any thought at all - KSA, Qatar, anywhere in Africa, and of course Italy on a Saturday night as the bars close.

Name a study? First Google attempt found an aging statistic published in The National, in 2009. Although aging stats, I do not think there has been a lot of improvement:

>>>>>

UN health chiefs have urged the Government to tighten motoring laws after a report that ranks the UAE's roads as among the deadliest in the world

The UAE is the worst performer in the region (37.1 per 100.000), with significantly more road deaths per head of population than Bahrain (12.1 per 100,000), Kuwait (16.9 per 100,000), Oman (21.3 per 100,000), Qatar (23.7 per 100,000), Saudi Arabia (29 per 100,000) and even Yemen (29.3 per 100,000)

Read more: UAE roads are among the most deadly: UN | The National
>>>>>

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the interesting dialogue - i'm almost afraid to drive there now, and it seems I will need to, so I will adjust. Good to know crime is not a huge concern overall and relatively speaking.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Dubai tries to reduce road deaths to zero by 2020
Dubai road deaths increase in 2013......
loooong way to go.

financial penalties are worthless.
Many offenders can afford them, and see them as a spped tax, rather than a deterent.

In most parts of the world, speeding fines are accompanied by points on your license, which then converts to a ban.
You cannot 'buy' off your points.
you cannot 'buy' back your license.

As soon as you can exonerate yourself from road madness with money alone, you have no effective control system.

·
Registered
225 Posts
vantage said:
Dubai tries to reduce road deaths to zero by 2020
Dubai road deaths increase in 2013......
loooong way to go.

financial penalties are worthless.
Many offenders can afford them, and see them as a spped tax, rather than a deterent.

In most parts of the world, speeding fines are accompanied by points on your license, which then converts to a ban.
You cannot 'buy' off your points.
you cannot 'buy' back your license.

As soon as you can exonerate yourself from road madness with money alone, you have no effective control system.
Zero? Is that possible? Zero?
I guess that'll be a first world wide.

·
Registered
163 Posts
You want to experince being in a real life video game come to the UAE and drive,in my almost nine years here I have seen almost anything possible and I am just waiting for a car to fall out of the sky in front of me[lol].

The Stat I don't want to know which I know is huge is how many kids die or are in Hospitals with brian injuries since a whole lot of idiots here think it wise to hold their childern in the car or let the children sit in the back seat with no belts.

I have been to a number of countries in Africa and the driving was not bad where I was at.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Loads of financial crime, rips off, fraud, conning, cheating etc. From multi millions right down to supermarkets charging you an inflated price at the cash register.

Its called "doing good business" and go's largely unabated unless a local is the victim.

As for safety, it's relatively safe in comparison to other cities but nowhere near as safe as people make out. Especially for woman alone late at night.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm moving to Dubai in January. Having spent 3 months in Riyadh earlier this year I can not believe anything could be as bad as the horrendously dangerous driving I witnessed every day there. Driving the wrong way down dual carriageways and the wrong way round roundabouts was commonplace. The worst thing I saw was a car coming at us the wrong way down a dual carriageway at night - with no lights on. How I got out of that city alive I will never know.

·
Super Moderator
6,963 Posts
I was almost lynched online for saying this, or to be precise for suggesting that a lone woman should not sit next to the taxi driver.
Out of interest, why would a lone woman sit in the front of a taxi - next to the driver?
As a bloke - i dont really want to get that near to the driver!!
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
163 Posts
Why,because anybody should be able to sit where ever they want to.There are many good people who drive taxis and everybody should be able to make their own choices.

I am a man and have had some great conversations with Taxi drivers in my almost nine years here.

·
Super Moderator
6,963 Posts
Why,because anybody should be able to sit where ever they want to.There are many good people who drive taxis and everybody should be able to make their own choices.

I am a man and have had some great conversations with Taxi drivers in my almost nine years here.
I agree that you should be able to sit where you like - but to avoid ambiguity, it is often safer to sit in the back of a taxi.
Luckily, i speak some hindi, urdu, arabic and bengali - as well as having worked extensively in indian sub-continent - so have a very good rappor with taxi drivers in UAE!
This also avoids them trying to take the long way home - even if the reason i am using a taxi is that i have been sampling the grape or grain beverages!
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
54 Posts
As a young, single woman I feel pretty safe in Dubai. I walk my dogs late at night, alone, and have never had any issues.

Regarding taxis, I make the mistake of getting in next to the driver once...and ended up getting groped. But I managed to give the guy a nice nosebleed for that.

I do think a western/white woman is safer than an Asian woman. A friend of mine's girlfriend is British-Indian and he doesn't like her getting a taxi alone late at night.

However, Dubai (and the Middle East) is MUCH worse for general harassment of women than Europe or the US. I get constantly followed about, approached, kerb-crawled etc despite very conservative dressing.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts