Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I'm in the midst of planning my personal Brexit strategy and after 18 months seem to be somewhat closer to exiting the UK than the UK is to exiting the EU.
I am looking to relocate to France, fairly flexible as to the area - not too hot, not too close to UK, somewhere south of Vendee and west from Auvergne.
I suppose Limousin is on top of the list.
I came across a property for sale near Boussac - anybody know the area?
More generally, how do rental markets look like for properties with land? Am I right thinking that buying is probably the more feasible option?

·
Administrator
53,162 Posts
Assuming that you're looking at rent vs. buy for your own personal residence rather than to rent out to others, you'd be well advised to rent for a while in an area you're thinking about. It can take quite a while to "get to know" a town or an area - and conditions (and taxes) can vary quite a bit from one town to the next.

Where, exactly, usually comes down to what you are planning on doing in France - work, study, what you need/want in terms of recreational facilities in the area, cultural interests, etc.

The other big factor is that purchased property doesn't turn over nearly as quickly in France as in other countries. People tend to buy homes for the long haul and aren't generally interested in "flipping" or making a big profit if and when they up stakes and move. If you overpay for a property, it will stay on the market for a LONG time when it comes time to sell - and actually, the process of closing on a property generally can be counted on to take at least 3 months or so, assuming there are no "problems" encountered along the way.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Hello Martlin, well if you have a Brexit plan you're doing better than TM already :)
The trouble with long term renting as a plan is that unless you're being transferred by your company or have a permanent job lined up in France, agencies and a lot of professional landlords won't consider you as a tenant. French rental law gives tenants a lot of protection and it's hard to evict even a non-paying tenant, so landlords have to be very careful who they let in. For prime unfurnished rental properties you would normally need to have a permanent job contract giving an income of at least three times the rent. But as Bev says, it's wise to rent initially as a toe in the water exercise, because if you buy a property and then discover it's not right for you, you may find yourself stuck with it for years before it sells. Take furnished or holiday lets in the area you're considering at various times of year and spend as much time there as you can before committing yourself.
Hope your negotiations go well !

·
Read Only
6,751 Posts
The trouble with long term renting as a plan is that unless you're being transferred by your company or have a permanent job lined up in France, agencies and a lot of professional landlords won't consider you as a tenant. French rental law gives tenants a lot of protection and it's hard to evict even a non-paying tenant, so landlords have to be very careful who they let in. For prime unfurnished rental properties you would normally need to have a permanent job contract giving an income of at least three times the rent. But as Bev says, it's wise to rent initially as a toe in the water exercise, because if you buy a property and then discover it's not right for you, you may find yourself stuck with it for years before it sells.
I don't think the OP will have the same problems with renting in the Creuse than those trying to rent in Lyon or Paris. But there is a reason for that.

Buying is not a good idea in these locations unless you are planning to live there for the rest of your life.

As already said, rent !!! Don't buy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys,
I don't seem to be able to find ANY rental property anywhere in France that would cater for my needs, hence the conclusion that probably rent option is out.
Farm Business Tenancies don't seem to exist at all either.
Is there anywhere I should be looking that I haven't been?
Returning to UK won't be an option anyway and going and living in Poland is not really that great an idea :eek: If any of you think that France is illogical, social security and tax systems are complicated and bureaucracy is mind boggling, have a go at Poland to cheer yourself up ;)
My life situation dictates that moving is tricky and expensive, I can't really go somewhere and stay for a bit in a holiday let, without going into too much detail it's difficult to explain, sorry.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Hi

Are you aware of www.safer.fr? They are an official French farming body and have a rental section as farmers approaching retirement seek to hand over the running of the land for a while. I think you have to register with them before you can view their listings.
They have a lot of clout as all rural property sales have to be run past them before a sale can be completed in case a farmer would really like the property and is willing to pay the agreed price.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi

Are you aware of Safer They are an official French farming body and have a rental section as farmers approaching retirement seek to hand over the running of the land for a while. I think you have to register with them before you can view their listings.
They have a lot of clout as all rural property sales have to be run past them before a sale can be completed in case a farmer would really like the property and is willing to pay the agreed price.
Hi,
yes I am aware of SAFER and the regulations, I'm not eligible for a new installation, at least that is the short version:eek: I've been registered with them for quite a while, but to be honest, the farms tend to be out of my budget.
They rent land and sell farmyards with all the kit, which makes it awkward.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Hi

Are you aware of Safer.fr : Soci?t?s d'am?nagement foncier et d'?tablissement rural They are an official French farming body and have a rental section as farmers approaching retirement seek to hand over the running of the land for a while. I think you have to register with them before you can view their listings.
Avoir SAFER. They take à huge 30% commission. Check out ads on seloger.fr or leboncoin.fr. Best is to phone first rather than e mail. For farms or smallholdings ask the local representative of "jeunes agriculteurs" or FNSEA / Confédération Paysanne" farmers' unions. Bonne chance !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.