Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of moving to Crestet a town near Vaison-la-Romaine in Vaucluse, but I have heard that the mistral is particularly severe in that area, I was wondering whether anybody knew the area well enough to offer any advice, I mean if the Mistral blows for 30 days a year it's OK but if it is 3 months it may be more than I can deal with. Also I dont really want to live in a very touristy area, so really how bad is tourist season in this area, I mean compared to Eze for example?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sablet

I am thinking of moving to Crestet a town near Vaison-la-Romaine in Vaucluse, but I have heard that the mistral is particularly severe in that area, I was wondering whether anybody knew the area well enough to offer any advice, I mean if the Mistral blows for 30 days a year it's OK but if it is 3 months it may be more than I can deal with. Also I dont really want to live in a very touristy area, so really how bad is tourist season in this area, I mean compared to Eze for example?
Hi, My name is Paul Harmon. Myself and my wife are living in Sablet about 15 minutes drive from Vaison. We have only been here for four and a half months so we really can't give you anything on the mistral (though so far it has been very benign). We do hear that it gets worse in winter when it really drops the effective temperature.

When it comes to tourists however, this being pretty much the height of the expat tourist season, I would say that your village will be nothing like Eze at all (which is the ultimate "plastic" commercial tourist trap).

This area is a real working part of France, and though certain towns in the Vaucluse like Gourde are popular tourist destinations, they are not overrun with tourists and I doubt very much if your town will feel them at all strongly.

So far we absolutely adore the area and Vaison is such a handy town to have nearby. Other than the wind, I don't think you could do much better for an area.

Feel free to get back in touch if you have any more questions,

Paul Harmon

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.