Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although Cyprus is a very religious country I have heard that they are considering building a crematorium due to lack of space for cemeterys. Does anyone know if and when this is likely to happen. Am I right in thinking there are no crematoriums in Cyprus at the moment? I know it sounds a bit of a strange question but things like this can be important. Thanks :)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Don't hold your breath, it's been mooted for the last 11 years and there was even a deadline at the end of last year to get a decision made on it which never happened.

The current Burial Law bans cremation so a bill needs to be passed to amend this amongst opposition from the Orthodox Church, so as you can imagine it's not exactly high on a list of priorities.

That said we're running out of space to bury our dead so unless new cemetaries pop up in the middle of nowhere something will need to be done.

Calling Law Commissioner Koursoumba - Cyprus Mail
Delay on crematorium unacceptable - Cyprus Mail

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Don't hold your breath, it's been mooted for the last 11 years and there was even a deadline at the end of last year to get a decision made on it which never happened.

The current Burial Law bans cremation so a bill needs to be passed to amend this amongst opposition from the Orthodox Church, so as you can imagine it's not exactly high on a list of priorities.

That said we're running out of space to bury our dead so unless new cemetaries pop up in the middle of nowhere something will need to be done.

Calling Law Commissioner Koursoumba - Cyprus Mail
Delay on crematorium unacceptable - Cyprus Mail
I think I read somewhere that EU law states Cyprus should have a crematorium. Some land was earmarked, but I understand there was opposition to it being used for that purpose.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts