Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks - can u help please... I am moving to Spain shortly and will obviously need to open a bank account.

I went through a messy divorce and have a poor credit history with a 15k default. I am paying reduced payments on all my cards having list my job at Christmas.

Will the Spanish banks give me a basic account? If so any recommendations would be grateful.

I don't want any credit ( ever again..) from them

Not sure if they will help or can even tell if I have debts in uk but want to be upfront with them

Many thanks

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Thank you both - that's very useful and very kind to come back so quickly

Any banks that you can recommend?
Look for one that is offering free banking - not many of them do. Cajamar did offer free banking but that might have changed. We opened an account with Cajamar and the whole process took 2 hours and that was that. However, some Spanish banks use Visa Electron cards and not many websites accept Electron, nor do many retail outlets in the UK should you visit UK. Because of that we asked for a Visa credit card. We got one instantly and had to fight with the bank to have one with a €1,000 limit instead of the €10,000 they wanted us to have.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Look for one that is offering free banking - not many of them do. Cajamar did offer free banking but that might have changed. We opened an account with Cajamar and the whole process took 2 hours and that was that. However, some Spanish banks use Visa Electron cards and not many websites accept Electron, nor do many retail outlets in the UK should you visit UK. Because of that we asked for a Visa credit card. We got one instantly and had to fight with the bank to have one with a €1,000 limit instead of the €10,000 they wanted us to have.
That has actually changed a lot.

We have visa electron debit cards and I have no problem at all using my card in any shops the UK. It has a PIN so I can use it in all stores. The only thing I cannot do with it is get cash back with a purchase (but I have a UK one for that :) ).
We also use our cards shopping online and I have had only one problem with this, and that was paying for web hosting to a US company who wanted me to use my credit card instead.
One proviso with our account, is that online purchases over 100 euros have to be verified by text by us before they can go ahead, but we are happy with this as it goes some way to prevent our cards being used fraudulently.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
That has actually changed a lot.

We have visa electron debit cards and I have no problem at all using my card in any shops the UK. It has a PIN so I can use it in all stores. The only thing I cannot do with it is get cash back with a purchase (but I have a UK one for that :) ).
We also use our cards shopping online and I have had only one problem with this, and that was paying for web hosting to a US company who wanted me to use my credit card instead.
One proviso with our account, is that online purchases over 100 euros have to be verified by text by us before they can go ahead, but we are happy with this as it goes some way to prevent our cards being used fraudulently.

I've got visa electron on my account & visa on our joint account. With the electrons we also have to have a mobile number linked to it to enable receipt of the texted transaction number to complete online purchases. In addition any amount over 50€ spent on the card at shops or cash at a dispenser generates an instant message of amount , branch & time. Suppose it would be handy if the cards stolen !

Thrax ; with our bank they were sending us credit cards with 10k limits we hadn't even asked for! when I took the 2nd one back the girl seemed amazed that I didn't want it !
Another thing I learnt early on when we were first here was the card limits. being lazy & not wanting to go in the bank I was drawing money through the atm's to pay for building materials ,etc.
Until one day it wouldn't give me any. when I asked in the bank they told me that the limits were 600€ /day, 1800€/week , 3000€/month but I could increase them to any amount I wanted or have no limits at all!! I left them as they were but unfortunately they hadn't told me that 'a month' is a rolling month not a calendar month ! We are with La Caixa.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yell789 said:
Hi folks - can u help please... I am moving to Spain shortly and will obviously need to open a bank account.

I went through a messy divorce and have a poor credit history with a 15k default. I am paying reduced payments on all my cards having list my job at Christmas.

Will the Spanish banks give me a basic account? If so any recommendations would be grateful.

I don't want any credit ( ever again..) from them

Not sure if they will help or can even tell if I have debts in uk but want to be upfront with them

Many thanks
We use Solbank, freindly people, fast service, no fees and 3% on our domestic bills. They also have some transfer agreement with UK banks, where they don't charge comission. I don't use it, because I'm from DK.
They just needed a copy of our passports.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts