Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am moving from the United States to Australia in the coming year. I will be there for two years. Does anyone know about freezing your credit in the USA prior to moving? Is this common? I would hate to move to Australia and have some identity theft while living out of my home country!

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi Mabe:

I still recommend you keep one active account. But close all other credit cards. I don't think there is a freeze, however you could instruct you bank to reset your credit limit to a lower amount and see if they offer any alert service for large transactions.

I am moving from the United States to Australia in the coming year. I will be there for two years. Does anyone know about freezing your credit in the USA prior to moving? Is this common? I would hate to move to Australia and have some identity theft while living out of my home country!

Thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
If it's just 2 years, and you think you'll be moving back to the US afterwards, use a service like LifeLock (google it). They basically put a freeze on your credit reports, that prevent any new accounts being opened without your explicit approval, and they'll send you periodic updates, and indemnify you against any losses. If you do close down any credit accounts, make sure the one you keep is the oldest one. A large part of your american credit score is based on the age of your revolving credit accounts.

Most banks, and credit card companies will allow you to change a mailing address to a foreign address. I know that Australian banks and credit card companies have no problem mailing statements and such to the USA. (at least in the case of ANZ and NAB)

You definitely want to make sure that when you're overseas you stay on top of things at home, creditwise.

Cheers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts