Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm moving to Vancouver in July and have starting browsing online to get an idea for apartments. A few places have suggested that landlords will need to see credit checks/rental history. If this is true, does anyone know how I would get around this as I have never rented an apartment and apart from my generic credit card and a student loan, haven't needed to pay anything off to get a credit history.

Any other advise on anything Vancouver related would be great too.

Cheers
Lauren

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Hi,

I'm moving to Vancouver in July and have starting browsing online to get an idea for apartments. A few places have suggested that landlords will need to see credit checks/rental history. If this is true, does anyone know how I would get around this as I have never rented an apartment and apart from my generic credit card and a student loan, haven't needed to pay anything off to get a credit history.

Any other advise on anything Vancouver related would be great too.

Cheers
Lauren
This is a problem many immigrants face. Without Canadian credit history many landlords are reluctant. The only suggestion I can make is perhaps offer a 6-12 month rental payment up front.

·
Registered
77 Posts
We moved over last year with the same concerns we spoke to commercial and private landlords and neither had a problem. However my wife and I are permanent residents in our 40s so maybe they assessed us as low risk. We have given our landlord prer dated cheques and a months deposit. Others may want a bigger deposit as previous poster says. We also had a canadian bank acct linked to our uk one and transferred our credit rating so got a credit card etc very quickly. Again that may have helped.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks very much. That puts my mind at ease knowing there are ways around it. I'll just have to find the right landlord that is understanding.

Cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.