Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so I just got a job at this great organization! but they aren't paying me a lot, which is ok because the org's name is good enough for me right now, but I want to get a credit card made, anyone can guide me on this? this is going to be my first! since I just finished my academics!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Just be careful that you shouldn't use a credit card to supplement a poor income.....

You have to give a blank crossed check as security (for most banks) for a c/card, so if you start to have issues and the bank presents the check, and it is not paid, then you'll start down a very slippery slope.

I would re-evaluate your options, if you cannot budget efficiently on your basic salary/allowances, is moving here the right thing to do!?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just be careful that you shouldn't use a credit card to supplement a poor income.....

You have to give a blank crossed check as security (for most banks) for a c/card, so if you start to have issues and the bank presents the check, and it is not paid, then you'll start down a very slippery slope.

I would re-evaluate your options, if you cannot budget efficiently on your basic salary/allowances, is moving here the right thing to do!?
I actually live here, not moving, plus my dad owns a law firm here and in Canada, so not to worried about not being able to pay, just that if I stay within limits, I wanted a credit card for some cushioning...

·
Registered
155 Posts
That's good to know, and with the extra detail you've provided, you appear to far removed from the naive poor student I originally thought - so apologies for that. You know what they say about assumptions.....

I'm pretty sure your company would have to provide a letter of some description (are they all called no objection) in order for the bank to provide, and after that you should have the safety net/cushioning you were talking about.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
ok, so I just got a job at this great organization! but they aren't paying me a lot, which is ok because the org's name is good enough for me right now, but I want to get a credit card made, anyone can guide me on this? this is going to be my first! since I just finished my academics!
Avoid a credit card. That's it. Live free. Unless you like being a slave to credit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts