Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a very dedicated user of my blackberry (some might use the word addiction :rolleyes:) I was just wondering what the service is like in Dubai? When doing searches I only come up with du mobile, but their web site is less than helpful on this front.

Would I have to get a contract or can you run your blackberry on their pay as you go? They also have something called a visitor's line, what is the difference? What is the EDGE coverage like in Dubai?

Any other advice relating to BB would be greatly appreciated :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
You only have two choice...Du or Etisalat. I use an iphone on Du and have a crackberry on Etisalat for work. There is no real competition. Data is expensive in my opinion but I have not had any issues with coverage on either network. You can get data bundles for post pay or prepay. I suggest you go to each of their stores when you arrive and they'll get you set-up. They seem to both have retail stores in all the major malls. Not sure about the visitors line.

I hope you have fun in Dubai!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info! Will just have to look at all my options when I get there... I just know I won't survive with out it, sad but true. Plus it will be my main way of being in communication with my DH (until he joins me) and family back home.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I'm sure that for Etisalat you have to choose the post-pay option (contract). The minimum contract length is one month.

If I remember rightly (long time since I got mine), for unlimited data/web usage in the UAE is AED 185 per month, for global use is AED 295.

To enable you to use it abraod though, on the post -pay scheme, you have to pay Etisalat AED 2000 deposit in cash for roaming to be enabled.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Try getting a Bold before/when you get here. You don't want to be stuck on snail slow EDGE connections, especially if you're the kind of person who uses a BB to its limit. The BB Curve, Flip and Pearl might look nice but miss out on 3G. I think the new BB Tour does offer it though.

With 3G, you have the advantage of simultaneous voice & data. As soon as you move to EDGE it's gone so if you twitter/check emails/surf the web on your phone all day, a lot of your calls will be going straight to voicemail.

P.S.: Etisalat's coverage in Dubai is pretty nice. Du is spotty in a couple of places. You certainly don't want to experience a dropped call in the middle of a phone interview.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info and advice!

I think I will only get coverage for UAE, 2000 AED is a hefty deposit! :eek: But my SA service provider is linked to Vodafone, so should get better rates on their roaming when we go to Europe.

Alas my little curve is all I have right now, and it will have to make do, I got it JUST before the 3G models were realeased in SA :( so I know what you mean. I will be up grading as soon as finances allow... once I'm settled in. Where I live I don't get EDGE at home, only GPRS :censored: my SP jumped EDGE and went straight for 3G, so that coverage is great... but that doesn't help me much :/ so a steady EDGE network would be a huge leap for me!

Try getting a Bold before/when you get here. You don't want to be stuck on snail slow EDGE connections, especially if you're the kind of person who uses a BB to its limit. The BB Curve, Flip and Pearl might look nice but miss out on 3G. I think the new BB Tour does offer it though.

With 3G, you have the advantage of simultaneous voice & data. As soon as you move to EDGE it's gone so if you twitter/check emails/surf the web on your phone all day, a lot of your calls will be going straight to voicemail.

P.S.: Etisalat's coverage in Dubai is pretty nice. Du is spotty in a couple of places. You certainly don't want to experience a dropped call in the middle of a phone interview.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the BB Storm and am hoping for no surprises when I arrive in Dubai.

It was bought here in South Africa on the vodacom network but was told that its not network locked.... hope this info is correct!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maverick: Please let me know how it goes! I am also with vodacom, I hope that there won't be a problem with a UAE sim card in.

My next question is: I love my Vodafone Sat Nav... It saves my life on a regular basis, and I know if will help navigating this new city. Does anyone know if it will work on Etisalat? Or can the recommend which satellite navigation software they use on their BB

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.