Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crackberry addict...

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Amtobi 
#1 ·
As a very dedicated user of my blackberry (some might use the word addiction :rolleyes:) I was just wondering what the service is like in Dubai? When doing searches I only come up with du mobile, but their web site is less than helpful on this front.

Would I have to get a contract or can you run your blackberry on their pay as you go? They also have something called a visitor's line, what is the difference? What is the EDGE coverage like in Dubai?

Any other advice relating to BB would be greatly appreciated :D

#2 ·
You only have two choice...Du or Etisalat. I use an iphone on Du and have a crackberry on Etisalat for work. There is no real competition. Data is expensive in my opinion but I have not had any issues with coverage on either network. You can get data bundles for post pay or prepay. I suggest you go to each of their stores when you arrive and they'll get you set-up. They seem to both have retail stores in all the major malls. Not sure about the visitors line.

I hope you have fun in Dubai!

#3 ·
Thanks for the info! Will just have to look at all my options when I get there... I just know I won't survive with out it, sad but true. Plus it will be my main way of being in communication with my DH (until he joins me) and family back home.

#4 ·
I'm sure that for Etisalat you have to choose the post-pay option (contract). The minimum contract length is one month.

If I remember rightly (long time since I got mine), for unlimited data/web usage in the UAE is AED 185 per month, for global use is AED 295.

To enable you to use it abraod though, on the post -pay scheme, you have to pay Etisalat AED 2000 deposit in cash for roaming to be enabled.

#5 ·
Try getting a Bold before/when you get here. You don't want to be stuck on snail slow EDGE connections, especially if you're the kind of person who uses a BB to its limit. The BB Curve, Flip and Pearl might look nice but miss out on 3G. I think the new BB Tour does offer it though.

With 3G, you have the advantage of simultaneous voice & data. As soon as you move to EDGE it's gone so if you twitter/check emails/surf the web on your phone all day, a lot of your calls will be going straight to voicemail.

P.S.: Etisalat's coverage in Dubai is pretty nice. Du is spotty in a couple of places. You certainly don't want to experience a dropped call in the middle of a phone interview.

#6 ·
Thanks for the info and advice!

I think I will only get coverage for UAE, 2000 AED is a hefty deposit! :eek: But my SA service provider is linked to Vodafone, so should get better rates on their roaming when we go to Europe.

Alas my little curve is all I have right now, and it will have to make do, I got it JUST before the 3G models were realeased in SA :( so I know what you mean. I will be up grading as soon as finances allow... once I'm settled in. Where I live I don't get EDGE at home, only GPRS :censored: my SP jumped EDGE and went straight for 3G, so that coverage is great... but that doesn't help me much :/ so a steady EDGE network would be a huge leap for me!

#8 ·
Maverick: Please let me know how it goes! I am also with vodacom, I hope that there won't be a problem with a UAE sim card in.

My next question is: I love my Vodafone Sat Nav... It saves my life on a regular basis, and I know if will help navigating this new city. Does anyone know if it will work on Etisalat? Or can the recommend which satellite navigation software they use on their BB

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.