Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
821 - 840 of 856 Posts

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I notice today they are reporting a slight increase in cases in Spain.At the same time the UK seems to geeting alot of infections and two of my friends ( fully vaccinated) have it with one claiming it is the second time!!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Yes, I am quite worried about Ayuso's relaxation of masks in schools, I will try to make sure my kids still wear them, especially the younger one who is not vaccinated.
But in reality the danger of Ayuso's latest move is not that school kids get ill they will just become transmitters of the virus to parents and grandparents with whom they meet without masks and distancing, just like the UK. Madrid might end up like a little Britain!

·
Banned
701 Posts
Another example of why Britian / the UK should be "red" and not allowed in. They say they do not know if the tourists are causing it but that is to just save face.

Another example..

·
Registered
19,456 Posts
Yes, I am quite worried about Ayuso's relaxation of masks in schools, I will try to make sure my kids still wear them, especially the younger one who is not vaccinated.
But in reality the danger of Ayuso's latest move is not that school kids get ill they will just become transmitters of the virus to parents and grandparents with whom they meet without masks and distancing, just like the UK. Madrid might end up like a little Britain!
Ayuso has said that children don't need to wear the masks at breaktime in schools. They still have to wear them inside. This actually goes along with current legislation where we are all required to wear masks inside, but not outside, doesn't it?
https://elpais.com/espana/madrid/20...s-y-como-prometer-medidas-que-ya-existen.html

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Masks are not obligatory outside except when social distancing can't be maintained. That's why it is still obligatory on railway station platforms for example. Many (me included) think that a school playground is one of the places where social distancing can't be maintained and therefore masks should still be obligatory.

·
Registered
19,456 Posts
Masks are not obligatory outside except when social distancing can't be maintained. That's why it is still obligatory on railway station platforms for example. Many (me included) think that a school playground is one of the places where social distancing can't be maintained and therefore masks should still be obligatory.
I agree with you, but of all the ridiculous, damaging and wayward things that Ayuso has said this is not actually so far off the board. She has said they can take their masks off when they are outside and can keep a distance of 1.5 metres which is in line with current legislation.
Of course, everyone sane knows that that isn't possible, but that's not actually why she is being criticised. The criticisms come mainly from the way she has done it ie once again doing it her way with no thoughts of agreement with other regional areas, and no discussion with the people that this will actually affect like the 2 school teachers in my house. OH has a continual battle with SS keeping their mask on and correctly placed over mouth and nose with complaints of I can't breathe, it's uncomfortable etc implying that everyone else is happy to wear the mask and they are the only ones "suffering".
Where I am, out of Madrid, masks are still being worn widely in urban streets, not so on country paths. When I've been to Madrid recently I've perceived far fewer people wearing masks in the street.

·
Banned
701 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
UK citizens should not be allowed to enter the EU

That would be difficult for UK citizens with residency in Spain to get back in , would it not?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I think you are confusing citizenship with residency.

It's only a matter of time until Spain or the EU start restricting travel from the UK. Despite it being against my own personal interests I think it is sadly necessary. I have a family visit booked for Xmas but I don't expect to be able to go.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
So, with the central EU being overwhelmed by another wave of covid that appears to be coursing its way through France as well now, what's in store for Spain?

So far it seems the over 60s have been receiving boosters, but is that enough to keep hospitalisations low enough? Spain has a high vaccination rate so we might not get it so bad but, as ever, that might also depend on which region of Spain you live in.

·
Registered
15,975 Posts
Spain has a much higher vaccination rate among elderly and vulnerable people than countries such as Germany, where "vaccine hesitancy" is more evenly distributed among age groups. This is a possible reason why the latest wave hasn't resulted (so far) in soaring death rates here.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I agree with the rest of what you said, apart fom this bit. Why do you think the UK pretended covid had gone away? I think the UK accepted that covid is not going away, and we've got to learn to live with it. Hence it was tolerant of higher case counts and hospitalisations over summer, and is possibly now benefitting from more people having been infected and having natural immunity (herd immunity if you like?) Maybe the UK isn't in a good a place as Spain, but it seems to be in a better place than most of the EU right now.
When I was there in October the sensation of ignorance to risk was massive. I was staying in a hotel, nobody wore masks when in common spaces, even at the buffet breakfast people were wandering about amongst open food without masks, even coughing without coving their mouths.

This is, in my opinion, a direct result of the governemy taking away the restrictions and limitations too early. Boris himself appeared in a hospital talking to masked up doctors without one on himself.

This is a message that has been selected intentionally and I don't think that it is based on medical grounds (most of the advisors said that the governmenmt shouldn't remove the restrictions).

That's why I posted the quoted part of my message.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
The risks are now high in Navarra and Pais Vasco. It is creeping up in other communities as well. As the temperature drops more people occupy indoor areas with little ventilation. Spain probably has done better because of the climate being milder for longer in many parts. Clearly it will climb in the next few months and the UCIs will start to struggle. The problem will be as the various communities try and resist bringing in restrictions in the festive months. Valencia is desperately trying not to bring in the need for vaccine proof for ocios and restaurantes but it looks very likely it will happen. Last week 3 teachers in my son's school were off because of Covid and the school had no replacements so my son justcame home rather than sit in the classroomwith nothing to do and no supervision. It is not media hype. It is still everywhere but vaccinations reduce the pressure on the healthcare system and that is why we have a responsibility to try and accept restrictions.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Woke up today to hear that a new variant has been detected in South Africa. I'm no scientist so I won't pretend to understand it but it could possibly be the mutation than avoids the vaccines. I imagine this could be the start of another round of restrictions as it is hard to see how they can control it. Spain is going to have to admit it cant be so exposed as it is in order to keep tourism alive. Surely they are going to have to start testing arrivals?

·
Administrator
36,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #840 ·
VALENCIA REGION

🔴
BREAKING NEWS: Puig announces that a COVID passport will be required to enter bars and restaurants in Valencian region.
The measure needs to be endorsed by the regional Supreme Court of Justice but, if approved, it will be implemented by the December "puente" weekend.

I believe that the courts in Cataluña have approved the same move for that region, & it is expected that Valencia will do the same.

821 - 840 of 856 Posts