Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
100K views 1K replies 72 participants last post by  Overandout 
The English language version of El País specifically includes the UK, the Spanish language version doesn't even mention the UK - both state EU including Schengen.

The English language version gives the 'logic' that the UK still benefits from EU rules until the end of the transition period.

I read elsewhere that Moncloa has been asked for specific clarification.

Since this 'agreement' has come about since the UK actually left, does it in fact apply?
As I understand it, it applies only to Schengen countries and all others (including the UK) will have to reach a "reciprocal agreement".

I would put money on there being a reciprocal agreement in place with the UK and Ireland before 21 June.

I couldn't open this link but I think this one is more recent, published today.

https://english.elpais.com/society/...new-normality-on-sunday-what-will-change.html

When can people travel to other European countries? Mobility restrictions within the European Union and Schengen area countries also come to an end on Sunday. The EU had called on countries to reopen on June 15, but the Spanish prime minister, Pedro Sánchez, announced that the country would wait until June 21. There is one exception: the border with Portugal will not reopen until July 1.

For the United Kingdom, the Spanish government is considering implementing a quarantine as a reciprocal measure, given that travelers arriving in that country must self-isolate for two weeks. The British government is considering revising this measure, but not before June 29. The Spanish foreign minister is also holding conversations with the French government to manage the difference in dates for reopening the border, given that the neighboring country is planning to open its borders on June 22.

And what about the rest of the world? The Spanish prime minister said on Sunday that borders with the rest of the world will begin to open on July 1 on a gradual basis. For this to happen, there are a number of requirements: an epidemiological situation that is similar to or better than that of EU member states; certain health conditions in the origin, journey and destination; and reciprocal acceptance of travelers from the EU.

The media in France, the UK and elsewhere has reported that Spain will open its borders tomorrow and lift the quarantine requirement, indeed as a consequence France has brought forward the opening of its border with Spain by 24 hours

https://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/occitanie/pyrenees-orientales/perpignan/deconfinement-espagne-rouvre-ses-frontieres-france-ce-samedi-20-juin-minuit-1844028.html
It will be interesting to see how much cross-border movement there actually is.

I know this is just anecdotal but none of my friends either here or in the UK are planning to travel before September at the earliest.

For goodness sake. This is all airyfiry. What a mess. And in Scotland, where I live, the rules are much slower and cautious. Wales and NI are different too. But we can all cross the border and do whatever. What is going on?
What is going on is that some governments have decided that a failed economy is more risky than furtherCovid-19 outbreaks, which they think they can now control.

We can cross borders but we still have to observe the rules of the country we are visiting. People coming to Spain from the UK will have to wear face masks if they can't guarantee to keep a distance of 1.5 meters from others, for example.

Basically the onus has been transferred to the individual; rather than follow rules set by governments you must decide what makes you feel safe and behave accordingly.

Just watching La Sexta and there are now only 2 áreas where there are no out breaks. They are saying that it looks like a 2nd wave is building up fast
Another 250 contagions in last 24 hours and starting to grow exponentially. I imagine that the government are going to close the borders sooner than later.
Which country are you talking about?:confused:

In this article there is a little more detail and says they need not be worn when exercising in the open air (does walking count, I wonder?), or on the beach when swimming or sunbathing, as well as in bars and restaurants.

https://as.com/diarioas/2020/07/11/actualidad/1594468052_042561.html
Details will be announced on Monday and come into effect 48 hours later. Walking is definitely exercising as long as you're wearing the right clothes and looking purposeful, though why anyone would want to exercise outdoors in the heat I can't imagine.:D

I'll carry on doing what I do now, wear it round my chin and pull it up over my nose when I'm approaching other people. Might upset the hygiene police but I do wash my hands frequently and put on a clean mask every time I go out (which isn't often).

Here’s the official document from the Junta de Andalucia on masks. Don’t have time to go through it now but will do later.

https://www.juntadeandalucia.es/eboja/2020/545/BOJA20-545-00003-7739-01_00175091.pdf
So no surprises here. Wear a mask at all times except:

• At home with your family
  • In a car by yourself or with other members of your household
  • Eating or drinking in a bar or restaurant
  • Swimming in the sea or a public pool
  • Sitting/sunbathing alone or with family members on the beach or at a pool
  • Practising exercise in the open air on your own (doesn't explicitly mention walking).

Fine for non-compliance is €100.

I wear the ordinary blue ones, I don't find them uncomfortable but my bearded husband hates them. I've never worn one for more than about half an hour though. I believe they are supposed to be single-use but they seem to survive a few good washes in hot soapy water.

Whatever the actual contagion figures are (there was bound to be an increase after lockdown was eased) it has to be the case that more testing is being carried out via contact tracing, therefore more cases are being detected early on, and the appropriate confinement measures can be taken at a local level.

There were apparently nine deaths in the last seven days (compared to nearly a thousand a day at the peak). I can't find data on new hospitalisations but that's the figure to watch. If that starts to rise sharply, we're in trouble.

It would be interesting to know how widespread the testing for Covid19 really is and that it's not just confined to
those that are suffering syptoms attributable to the virus, those counted as key workers in the health services,
care home workers etc, etc.

Therefore how many Expats and their families have approached their GP, etc to be voluntarily tested or offered
testing of their own free will for it ?
If you show symptoms, you get a test.
If you are traced as a contact of an infected person, you get a test.
If you work with infected people, you get a test.

You can't have the whole population rolling up when they feel like it asking to be tested. Tests are expensive and time-consuming, and need to be restricted to those who need them. Though I believe it's possible to pay for one in the private sector.

QED - therefore we will never know the full extent of the virus and how many people who have had it or thought they might have had it but recovered, dismissing it as no more than a bad cold.
Exactly, which is why quoting and comparing statistics on contagion rates is a pretty pointless exercise.

Only Madrid and The Canaries have NOT made the use of masks obligatory at ALL times.
Strange that Madrid that was so bad before is coming off better now. Is it because of people following the recommendations, good policing, good medical facilities... Is it because the virus moves in mysterious ways that we don't know about or is it that we're not being told the real figures?
Or is it because Ayuso and her crew are on the libertarian far right and they believe making masks compulsory is an affront to personal liberty?

Hahahaha:bounce:Libertarian??!!
Liberty for her and her followers to tell people what to do maybe :)
Libertarianism is a school of philosophy much vaunted by the American far right, in which individuals can do whatever they like, you only have responsibility for yourself, and basically f*ck everyone else. Why should I pay taxes to educate other people's children, that sort of thing. I read an article about Ayuso once and she appeared to be enthusiastic about it. It would make sense in the context of compulsory mask-wearing.

Hmmm well to start extremadura has no seaside resorts in fact we are totally landlocked, typical daily mail, let’s blame the immigrants but the British are excluded from that description. I’d be more worried about the brits bringing over the virus
He escaped from a holding centre for undocumented migrants. It was on the news and of course the far right have pounced on it for propaganda purposes. The TV channel Antena3 are even reporting new CV cases divided between "personas" and "inmigrantes".

I was reading about the chabolas occupied by immigrants in Huelva being burned down 3 times in a week. Some have lost all their possessions. Only a very small article in the news, a bit strange.
It's been on Canal Sur TV, horrible. Not only that but thousands of seasonal workers are stuck in Spain because they can't get back to Morocco (border is only open for freight). They have no income and no rights, only the Cruz Roja will help them. Makes you realise how fortunate you are.

Just seen that the EU have finally overcome the objections of the frugal five, stingy six or whatever and Spain will get €140 billion from the recovery fund. Wonder what strings are attached?

According to the news Spain is now in a Second Wave. Good news is that they are tracing the majority of outbreaks to parties and public places like bars and night clubs ( not the Spanish ones hahaha!). Plus most contagions are young people. So it should be relatively easy to control if the quickly close bars and clubs.
If they close these venues, won't people just find somewhere unofficial to party, making contact tracing almost impossible? I'm thinking of all those illigal raves I keep hearing about in the UK.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.