Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good News:
-The results of phase 3 clinical trials showed their mRNA vaccine was 90 percent effective in preventing Covid-19 symptoms and did not produce adverse side effects among thousands of volunteers.

Bad News:
  • It appears to be effective at bestowing protection against Covid-19, yet is extremely fragile: it must be stored at -80 degrees Celsius (-112 degrees Fahrenheit) or else it falls apart.
  • Requires (Pfizer vaccine ) two dosages.
  • "Most freezers in most hospitals anywhere in the world are -20C," said Lang. "This is four times colder."
  • Based on advance purchase agreements signed with Pfizer, she calculated that 1.1 billion doses had been snapped up entirely by wealthy nations. "There's not much left for everyone else," she told AFP.

Cost and Dosage:
-
At the cost of $40 per treatment, which consists of two separate shots, richer nations have rushed to order tens of millions of doses. But it is less clear what poorer nations can expect.

Much more on this Poorer nations face vaccine wait as West locks down supply

·
Registered
55 Posts
Good News:
-The results of phase 3 clinical trials showed their mRNA vaccine was 90 percent effective in preventing Covid-19 symptoms and did not produce adverse side effects among thousands of volunteers.

Bad News:
  • It appears to be effective at bestowing protection against Covid-19, yet is extremely fragile: it must be stored at -80 degrees Celsius (-112 degrees Fahrenheit) or else it falls apart.
  • "Most freezers in most hospitals anywhere in the world are -20C," said Lang. "This is four times colder."
  • Based on advance purchase agreements signed with Pfizer, she calculated that 1.1 billion doses had been snapped up entirely by wealthy nations. "There's not much left for everyone else," she told AFP.

Cost and Dosage:
-
At the cost of $40 per treatment, which consists of two separate shots, richer nations have rushed to order tens of millions of doses. But it is less clear what poorer nations can expect.

I can see trying to keep the vaccine so cold will have issues with people monitoring the temp and equipment failure of some type. I wonder how cold your every day hospital freezer can get? Let alone at clinics. In the PH there are so many brownouts without adequate electrical backup. Can you imagine a business spending millions on the vaccine to only see it disappear if it wasn't kept cold enough.:(

·
Registered
253 Posts
Good News:

Bad News:

Cost and Dosage:
-

Good News:

Bad News:

Cost and Dosage:
-

So if you could get the vaccine you will still be locked down with everyone else unable to travel. For me there is no Covid spreading in my area so why bother.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Good News:

Bad News:

Cost and Dosage:
-

So is there no way to reply to a post without it "Quoting" ?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
.... For me there is no Covid spreading in my area so why bother.
No reported Covid you mean. There is none here in Moalboal either but I will still get the vaccine as soon as a WHO approved one is available.

I want to be safe to travel.
I want to be safe in case someone brings it into the area.
I want to be safe in case the reporting is wrong, either intentionally or because mild cases have not gone for medical treatment.
I want to be safe from people with asymptomatic or non-diagnosed cases.

My big question right now is how will foreigners fit into any distribution scheme? Will we be gives same priority as a citizen of similar age, health etc? Will we be able to jump the queue by simply paying for it instead of free distribution? ( Will locals get free vaccine?) Will we be put to the end of the line with locals given the priority?

·
Registered
89 Posts
My big question right now is how will foreigners fit into any distribution scheme? Will we be gives same priority as a citizen of similar age, health etc? Will we be able to jump the queue by simply paying for it instead of free distribution? ( Will locals get free vaccine?) Will we be put to the end of the line with locals given the priority?
I think foreigners and wealthy Filipinos should pay to get it first, and those funds should subsidize free vaccines for the locals.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I'm not a doctor nor have a science background aside from thinking but from what I am reading these vaccines are being pushed through without adhering to the normal protocols. These vaccines have only had 2 or max 3 months of testing and while looking promising could, in the future have little or negative value. Long term side effects, antibody duration (new improved shots in 6 months) etc. I am not an anti vaxer having through my life all shots (except flu shots) and my children the same but I have to wonder how and why these vaccines are being rammed through normal protocols.
I am going to continue to wear a mask and face shield, socially distance, high hygiene and wait until the proof is in the pudding.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I am going to continue to wear a mask and face shield, socially distance, high hygiene and wait until the proof is in the pudding.
Exactly and that was my point. Whether you get the vaccine or not you will continue to wear a mask and face shield and go thru the procedures at each place you go. Nothing will change other than you are safer. But for me I can't travel due to MGCQ and I live in the provinces. I either already had Covid or will probably never get it here.

·
Registered
601 Posts
The Pfizer vaccine needs to be stored at -70C, the other vaccine manufactured by Moderna needs only -20C
Good News:

Bad News:

Cost and Dosage:
-

The Pfizer vaccine needs to be stored at -70C. The other vaccine by Moderna needs only -20C.

·
Super Moderator
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Pfizer vaccine needs to be stored at -70C, the other vaccine manufactured by Moderna needs only -20C
There are a couple more vaccines out there but I'm not sure if they are as effective as 90% but I hope they finish up the testing and find something just as effective and only one shot needed.

I got the Anthrax string of 5 shots over 18 months so it appears certain viruses require a different approach even the Hepatitis C shot required 3 dosages.

But IAW the article from GMA most 3rd world countries are only set up for a -20C vaccine storage.

·
Registered
179 Posts
There are a couple more vaccines out there but I'm not sure if they are as effective as 90% but I hope they finish up the testing and find something just as effective and only one shot needed.
Pfizer themselves said at the release something like their result is an important step and a positive news to other vaccine developers built on same protein idea, so they TOGETHER can make it more compleete and get more clear result by more people are testing and using such. (Just from what I remember they SAID at TV news, so I can't copy and paste the text.)

·
Super Moderator
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Here's another twist:

So now these vaccines appear to be coming from, it looks like multiple sources if you read the headlines? Who's willing to take the Chinese vaccine and next British drug maker AstraZeneca or is the Vaccine from the US and Britain going to cost much more where the Chinese vaccination will be free or low cost... I know quit complaining and get your shot. Duterte allows advance payments, supply deals on COVID-19 vaccines

·
Registered
253 Posts
In the PI I would imagine that only the China vaccine and the Russian one will be available.

I heard that one issue is you could take one of these vaccines now (US, China, or any of them) and it might not be all that effective. Then if a better vaccine comes out in 6 months, it is possible that the ineffective vaccine you already took could block the newer vaccine from working. Not sure what to believe anymore.

·
Registered
179 Posts
" Not sure what to believe anymore. "
I believe iit's possible competitor say so to get biger share of the profit :)

But I don't trust the vaccines, which got ready "to fast", because proper tests take long time...
Even Pfizer, which got ready much later than some others, said a few days ago, the results they have got is only FIRST step and the result is rough so far, and more will be known by longer use, effects of more people will become known and by competitors with same protein idea vaccines will add results from their tests so there will be more people in these tests results.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
By the time it is available to us living here in the Philippines, it will have been given to millions in the USA, Europe and China so there will be a lot more data and knowledge of its side effects and effectiveness. We will have a good idea of its short term impacts but still will not know the long term impacts.

As long as WHO has approved the vaccine that I am getting I will take it knowing that there is a risk of having such a new vaccine. I believe that the risk associated with the vaccine will be a couple orders of magnitude less than the risk of getting Covid, especially outside of a major city.

I will not trust any vaccine that only haws one country's approval.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
A lot of the shortening of the time is that a lot of the crap has been taken out, the testing has been the same but instead of the regulatory authorities taking months inbetween each phase they have got straight on with it for a change.

·
Registered
179 Posts
By the time it is available to us living here in the Philippines, it will have been given to millions in the USA, Europe and China
Yes. Swedish government announced this week they had got orders of vaccines to whole population confirmed, but I didn't hear/remember if they said anything about time frame for delivery. Perhaps they said during next year.
A lot of the shortening of the time is that a lot of the crap has been taken out, the testing has been the same but instead of the regulatory authorities taking months inbetween each phase they have got straight on with it for a change.
I don't remeber if it was Pfizer, but one such company said in july they started 27 july phaze 3, which would take 3 months of testing. So it suit in time to be done and results put together when Pfizer announced their results recently.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Yes. Swedish government announced this week they had got orders of vaccines to whole population confirmed, but I didn't hear/remember if they said anything about time frame for delivery. Perhaps they said during next year.
Yes home markets will be fulfilled before anyone else gets a !ook in

1 - 20 of 48 Posts